Texas Hunting Forum

Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water

Posted By: Hopedale

Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/23/14 05:31 PM

popcorn
Posted By: bhunter

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/23/14 06:11 PM

You bored because your not at work???
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/23/14 06:33 PM

I take mine fishing in 20ft+ water all tha time... takes a while to get were im going on the long runs but hey no reason to get in a hurry
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/23/14 09:11 PM

I cross big open water in mine, to get to the back! 1542 with 24 hp long-tail! But no if it's spring I usually throw the 15 tiller back on!
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/23/14 11:55 PM

I just sold mine but I used to take my go-devil fishing on LBJ. Didn't quite fit in but it got me to where I wanted to go and got plenty of attention!

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: bhunter
You bored because your not at work???

I was at work and nothing was going on. Cut out after lunch and headed to the house.

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 12:13 AM

I was curious how they do in shallow water. I've already had to replace a prop on my regular boat due to a not so small rock under my boat.

I've ridden in one in south LA and see why their so effective. Not much out there to tear up a prop. Maybe a bad oyster reef, but if you cruising they seem to cut through the soft mud.

Seems like most of the shoreline around reservoir lakes are hard bottom.
Posted By: b1c2r3r4

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 12:18 AM

Sorry to high jack your post but I was wondering how well the mud boats with 21" sides handled rough water. Like texoma,Sam Rayburn rough. 3 ft. swells?
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: b1c2r3r4
Sorry to high jack your post but I was wondering how well the mud boats with 21" sides handled rough water. Like texoma,Sam Rayburn rough. 3 ft. swells?

Very well actually, even with 3-4 people you can run some pretty big water in 20 mph winds if you wanted to. I fish from mine a lot in the spring and summer too, especially the past year with the lake level so low.
I spent about $2600 to repair the lower unit on my Champion bass boat in March due to a low water impact so I started using my Gatortrax to fish out of more in the timber and shallow flats.

Hopedale, not all our lakes are hard bottom, actually a lot of the hunting areas will be silted in, creek channels, or veggies.
I do not recommend mud motors though, too many of them around already.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: mohunter

Too many of them around, why is that a reason for not getting one?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 04:06 AM

You probably got me again with one of your jokes. grin
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Are mud motors good for reservoir lakes - when they have water - 12/24/14 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: mohunter

Too many of them around, why is that a reason for not getting one?

Already enough people trying to get to those hard to reach spots as it is.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum