Texas Hunting Forum

How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season?

Posted By: Guy

How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 01:54 PM

9 for me.
Posted By: oilag

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 02:03 PM

No lakes, but 2 bays

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 02:05 PM

Coast hunt is on my list.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 02:28 PM

None, but I got invited to hunt someone's spot on the opener. And the one other hunt was private.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 02:35 PM

Scouted 9, hunted 4. Plan on hunting 3 or 4 others in second half.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 02:37 PM

I just camped out on the internet and waited for the internet blabbermouths to tell me where to go up
Posted By: TXPride

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 02:39 PM

Does that include internet scouting? What about google earth scouting?
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 04:14 PM

I'd be curious to see if the 'None' votes are due to having private land or choosing not to scout.

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPride

No, and driving over a bridge don't count either. Boat in the water, or mud on the boots.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

No, and driving over a bridge don't count either.

It does at Lavon... up
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 04:42 PM

Zero.
Posted By: kindall

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 06:50 PM

0 only hunted private land
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 07:09 PM

I know one lake ain't nobody scouting or hunting anymore this season unless a frog stragnler pushes the level back up to satisfy the corp
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis

No, and driving over a bridge don't count either.

It does at Lavon... up
yup roflmao
Posted By: mohunter

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/16/14 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
I know one lake ain't nobody scouting or hunting anymore this season unless a frog stragnler pushes the level back up to satisfy the corp

There is more than one that way for one reason or another.

Interesting survey Guy, I am surprised with the lack of scouting, says a lot about the people on this forum, at least the ones that care to vote. I am sure most will not though.
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 12:46 AM

I voted. 2 for me. And knocked on a lot of doors for private spots.

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Zero.

What the heck? Are you afraid to get your boat dirty?
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 01:37 AM

Lake hunting looking tough this year due to low water & lack of cold fronts.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 02:18 PM

I have completely covered two public lakes around me... I just wish there was enough water to hunt the creeks. The third one is a wasteland, never had a good hunt there. I always look for the spots that other hunters won't get to or won't use- but it's tough when the birds only seem to concentrate on the crowded areas.

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 02:30 PM

Yeah water conditions are really bad, and it just seems to get worse every year.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 03:03 PM

I was the only 8. Have hunted 5. Plan on adding a few more on the second split
Posted By: wal1809

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 03:27 PM

I never scout anymore. Now to me I think it is a waste of time. Unless I am hunting north for mallards, there aint no need.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/17/14 11:41 PM

Zero.

Have had it saran wrapped for months now. wink
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/18/14 01:04 AM

scout, or pout, or both! wink
Posted By: No Choke

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/18/14 08:33 AM

Only 2. Found out that at one nearby lake that it was too deep to put out decoys near shore far enough away from houses. 92ft deep 10 yds away from shore is crazy deep. (Lake Merwin) Silver Lake is good.😀 Just sayin for those internet scooters.
Posted By: nogeese

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/18/14 07:00 PM

1 and done

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/19/14 12:07 AM

Zero.

Have had it saran wrapped for months now. wink

I bet there is some truth to that. I must admit, I cleaned my motor with a toothbrush over the split trying to make it look brand new again. Pushing 30 hrs on it already, 2 oil changes, tightened belt, shafted greased....
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/19/14 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I never scout anymore. Now to me I think it is a waste of time. Unless I am hunting north for mallards, there aint no need.

my hunt today on public land.

Re: How many public lakes have you scouted or hunted this season? - 12/22/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben Lilly
Originally Posted By: wal1809

my hunt today on public land.

Nice shoot, no kicker?

WAL if you go to the same spot all the time, and you are willing to roll the dice if there are ducks are not, then yeah no need to scout. Especially if you do not enjoy scouting. I personally like scouting, and must admit the pursuit of green heads drives me. I have never scouted for teal.

There are 2 types of scouting:

1) Scouting to find new spots, checking out water conditions, what the footing is like, etc... You do not want to be doing this at dark 30 in the morning. You will never find new spots w/o scouting. And with changing water levels, this changes the playing field. I keep a log of my hunts, and water level, if you hunt on the coast don't have to worry as much about changing water levels.

2) Scouting knows spots for ducks
, to have a good hunt the next day, and to know what type ducks you expect to see in the morning.... I hear a lot "there are no secrete spot on that lake", that is just dumb, yeah the lake is not a secrete, and spots are not a secrete, but ducks move all the time, and go from one area to another, "where the dux are" is a secrete, until the word gets out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum