Texas Hunting Forum

Who is cooking duck?

Posted By: Guy

Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 02:35 AM

Done this 2 nights in a row, dang good...

Everything required:

Tony's to season duck. Get thick cut bacon.. I like pickled jalapeno, slice in half, stuff with cheese..

Half slice of bacon will do, duck on each side...

Got this little cast iron griddle at Academy, want to say it was only $8. Love it on my gas grill, works great for duck poppers...

Delish. up
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 02:53 AM

Tasty. Especially with teal
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 03:04 AM

Holy smokes. That looks awesome. Will definitely try that this year.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 04:45 AM

I use cream cheese but same concept, me and my wife love it!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 05:10 AM

food
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 01:34 PM

wow I'm trying this
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 01:45 PM

I bet the cast iron is a nice way to brown the bacon quicker
Posted By: john paul

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 01:57 PM

Guy, next time you do this try this instead of using bacon.

Pluck the breast, start on the side of the bird and filet up to the breast bone, then down the other side, leaving the 2 individual breasts connected with the skin. That way you don't have to use bacon. Just season the meat with a little seasoning of your choice and put the jalapeno and cheese between the 2 and toothpick them together.

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul

Pluck the breast, start on the side of the bird and filet up to the breast bone, then down the other side, leaving the 2 individual breasts connected with the skin. That way you don't have to use bacon. Just season the meat with a little seasoning of your choice and put the jalapeno and cheese between the 2 and toothpick them together.

Amazing I have never tried that before, I like the idea of leaving together, that way you have skin all around. I'm doing that next time. That bacon is a crutch. grin

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: CinchMan
I use cream cheese but same concept, me and my wife love it!!!

My only new twist here is cooking it on a cast iron flat surface. I tried doing it on my cast iron skillet, and it filled up with grease and was not good. The grease needs drain off, but when you put it on hot, just right, the cast iron flat surface makes the bacon crispy, while leaving duck med rare. I did it like this the other night and did a better job, only cooked 3 so less grease.

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

Amazing I have never tried that before, I like the idea of leaving together, that way you have skin all around. I'm doing that next time. That bacon is a crutch. grin

Yep, I think I am going to have to go get one of those flat irons. If there is even a little fat on the bird it can flare up on the grill as bad, if not worse than bacon.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 07:24 PM

Now I'm hungry
Posted By: HayMathews

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 07:45 PM

How dare you talk about bacon that way.....
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/18/14 07:52 PM

Also, turkey bacon works best. Less salty

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Also, turkey bacon works best. Less salty

That stuff tastes like cardboard, my wife has bought that before, if I'm gonna eat bacon, it's going to be the real thing. I have tried the low sodium bacon before and that's not bad.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 12:44 PM

I beer can roasted one last weekend. It was a little tough but it tasted good.

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 01:09 PM

Creole Braised Duck. I think this might be my new favorite way to cook whole ducks. You could also do it by taking the breast meat and pounding them out and browning them instead of the whole duck. Also when you pull it out for the last step to let it rest, if your gravy is too thin just take flour and add it until you get your preferred consistency.

Prep Time: 3½ Hours
Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients:
6 teal or wood ducks, dressed
salt and black pepper to taste
granulated garlic to taste
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced green bell peppers
¼ cup minced garlic
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (10-ounce) can RO*TEL®
1 (10-ounce) can tomato purée
2 cups chicken or game bird stock
½ cup dry white wine
1 tsp chopped thyme
2 cups sliced mushrooms
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup sliced green onions

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Season duck pieces well with salt, pepper and granulated garlic and set aside. In a large Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Dust ducks lightly with flour, shaking off excess. Place ducks in hot oil and brown lightly on all sides. Remove duck from pot and set aside. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic and sauté 5–7 minutes or until golden brown. Add tomatoes, RO*TEL®, purée, stock, wine and thyme, scraping the bottom of pot to release browned bits. Return duck to pot and add mushrooms. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove from oven and gently stir in parsley and green onions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and granulated garlic if necessary. Serve hot over steamed white rice or grits and garnish with parsley.

From “After the Hunt: with Chef John Folse" http://www.lpb.org/afterthehunt

From “After the Hunt: Louisiana’s Authoritative Collection of Wild Game & Game Fish Cookery,” Chef John Folse, Owner & CEO of Chef John Folse & Company, 2517 South Philippe Avenue, Gonzales, La. 70737, http://www.jfolse.com.
Posted By: pprince

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 02:05 PM

I use cream cheese and montreal steak seasoning on mine. Whole family loves it!
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 03:58 PM

Hot Fried Duck Breast

Stole this from the forum (Hot Fried Dove). It works great for backstrap and duck also! Got a nice fire goin out back, cooked it up over a coleman stove outdoors. Nothin better!

The little pieces are the gizzards. They're tough to clean but I like 'em! Anyone else do that?

Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 04:12 PM

Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 05:02 PM

Boy's ya'll are killing me. I really enjoy these type threads and I am always amazed the time and effort put into these awesome dishes.

Great job boys! up up up
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 05:08 PM

That looks REALLY GOOD
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 05:23 PM

Duck coach - did you dip them after frying 'em up?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/19/14 05:36 PM

yes.. take them straight out of the grease, dip them and set them on the serving pan. When i was done i took the leftover sauce and put it in a little bowl to dip while eating.

Also, I cut the butter out of the sauce this time.. it tastes about the same without it but doesn't stick to the meat as well.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/20/14 01:36 AM

Tony's is good but try Slap Ya Mama seasoning. They use a little less salt otherwise the same.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Who is cooking duck? - 11/20/14 02:13 AM

We cooked duck Sunday. Still love rolling the breast in ranch dressing and egg, coat in flour and fry em up. I will be trying duck poppers this weekend. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum