Texas Hunting Forum

Federal Possession limits

Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 08:39 PM

Does the possession limit still apply after you get home, process the meat and put freezer?
Posted By: bobcatt

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 08:51 PM

no
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 08:51 PM

If its in the same 24 hours. Yes.
Can the gw enter your house without a search warrant? Yes, if there is suspision.
The possession is a daily limit wherever you are. Now you can lie and tell him/her it was from yesterday, but it will bite you back one day if you keep doing it.

Happy hunting.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 09:18 PM

Chocolate on the bottom and strawberry on the top?
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 09:21 PM

We are leaving next week for Kansas to shoot Geese and Ducks. 3 and a half days of hunting. What can I do to stay legal?
Posted By: bobcatt

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 09:22 PM

beaversnipe is right on the 24 hour period, I wasn't thinking through the question. you can have a whole season of hunting in the freezer at once if you follow the daily limits.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo
We are leaving next week for Kansas to shoot Geese and Ducks. 3 and a half days of hunting. What can I do to stay legal?

Eat some?

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 09:57 PM

I was gonna say. Eat some. And put dates on the zip logs.
But u will be fine, since u sound logit anyway.

Its not like your freezer is full of whooping cranes right?

RIGHT? confused2

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
If its in the same 24 hours. Yes.
Can the gw enter your house without a search warrant? Yes, if there is suspision.
The possession is a daily limit wherever you are. Now you can lie and tell him/her it was from yesterday, but it will bite you back one day if you keep doing it.

Happy hunting.

So are you saying that once I get home I can legally have a limit in the freezer for each day of season? Can someone post a link that clarifies this.

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 10:09 PM

Sure, u can even have 2x or 3x the DAILY limit (when someone else gave u the birds) in your freezer.
So on day 10 into the season u should buy another freezer. Im talking about birds though. Elk and deer, dont know
Posted By: DUCKHUNTR35

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 10:12 PM

Beaver you are wrong game warden CAN NOT enter your house without a warrant

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/12/14 10:21 PM

I don't like waterfowl enough to have multiple freezers full of em. I have always interpreted the law that I could legally ipossess at home in the freezer a daily bag limit for each day of the season. However, reading the Texas migratory pamphlet it is not real clear. Someone please post a link to something that clearly states the law in this regard.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/13/14 01:02 AM

I'm going to Colorado Nebraska then Texas and finally Oklahoma for 21 days.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/13/14 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo

Tag them
Posted By: drake_taker

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/13/14 02:45 AM

Here's the federal regs for possession. If you read it exactly as written, you can only have a "possession limit" in your freezer, which is generally 3 daily bag limits. Your possession doesn't change until the conditions below are met. Now, do most people do it that way? no....but we also drive above the speed limit.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID....d&rgn=div6

20.33 Possession limit.

No person shall possess more migratory game birds taken in the United States than the possession limit or the aggregate possession limit, whichever applies.

20.39 Termination of possession.

Subject to all other requirements of this part, the possession of birds taken by any hunter shall be deemed to have ceased when such birds have been delivered by him to another person as a gift; or have been delivered by him to a post office, a common carrier, or a migratory bird preservation facility and consigned for transport by the Postal Service or a common carrier to some person other than the hunter.
Posted By: Ty Webb

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/13/14 03:46 AM

[quote=DUCKHUNTR35]Beaver you are wrong game warden CAN NOT enter your house without a warrant [/quote

beaver's definitely correct.
5 years ago in Lamar county, ole boy strolled right into our cabin.
My buddy and I were both sleeping after hunting all morning.
He knocked on the door and said 'knock, knock!' while standing several feet inside the door.
Good way to get shot, if u ask me.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/13/14 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: J.P.
[quote=DUCKHUNTR35]Beaver you are wrong game warden CAN NOT enter your house without a warrant [/quote

He knocked on the door and said 'knock, knock!' while standing several feet inside the door.

Just because he did it doesn't make it legal. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure a game warden can enter your private property without permission, but to enter your home he must have permission or a warrant. Being a game warden doesn't give you the right to disregard the 4th ammendment.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/13/14 07:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Originally Posted By: J.P.

Just because he did it doesn't make it legal. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure a game warden can enter your private property without permission, but to enter your home he must have permission or a warrant. Being a game warden doesn't give you the right to disregard the 4th ammendment.

I don't believe you are wrong and the Parks and Wildlife Codes appear to back it up...GW can enter the land or water, but cannot enter your residence, temporary residence or search your vehicle in certain instances. On a highway, they are no different than a highway patrolman.

Quote:
Nothing in this section authorizes a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department to conduct a search otherwise authorized by this section:
(1) in a person's residence or temporary residence; or
(2) on a publicly maintained road or way that is:
(A) improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;
(B) open to the public; and
(C) distinguishable from a shoulder, berm, or other area not intended for vehicular traffic.

Quote:
(2) "Temporary residence" means a place where a person temporarily dwells or seeks shelter. The term does not include a hunting blind. The term does include a:
(A) hunting club or lodge;
(B) clubhouse;
(C) cabin;
(D) tent;
(E) manufactured home used as a hunting club or lodge; and
(F) hotel room, motel room, or room in a boardinghouse used during a hunting trip.

Quote:
Sec. 12.103. ENTERING LAND; USE OF INFORMATION OBTAINED BY ENTRY; CIVIL PENALTY. (a) To enforce the game and fish laws of the state and to conduct scientific investigations and research regarding wild game or fish, an authorized employee of the department may enter on any land or water where wild game or fish are known to range or stray. No action may be sustained against an employee of the department to prevent his entering on land or water when acting in his official capacity as described by this subsection.

Re: Federal Possession limits - 11/14/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: drake_taker
Here's the federal regs for possession. If you read it exactly as written, you can only have a "possession limit" in your freezer, which is generally 3 daily bag limits. Your possession doesn't change until the conditions below are met. Now, do most people do it that way? no....but we also drive above the speed limit.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID....d&rgn=div6

20.33 Possession limit.

No person shall possess more migratory game birds taken in the United States than the possession limit or the aggregate possession limit, whichever applies.

20.39 Termination of possession.

Subject to all other requirements of this part, the possession of birds taken by any hunter shall be deemed to have ceased when such birds have been delivered by him to another person as a gift; or have been delivered by him to a post office, a common carrier, or a migratory bird preservation facility and consigned for transport by the Postal Service or a common carrier to some person other than the hunter.

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum