Texas Hunting Forum

Today's catch

Posted By: Duckhawker

Today's catch - 11/11/14 11:17 PM

Well today out of a mixed flock of pintails, gadwalls, teal, and various divers, Quapa (the falcon) got the least glamorous duck possible. A hen hooded merganser. It was a very difficult and challenging setup, so I'm happy with the success. Any day you come home with your bird is a good day in falconry.

Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Today's catch - 11/11/14 11:22 PM

That's the coolest thing ever. I'd love to see one hunt.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Today's catch - 11/11/14 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645

and a great choice of birds!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Today's catch - 11/11/14 11:50 PM

Very cool. Does your falcon alway ear your bird? With the merg no harm done. grin
Posted By: Fallen Feathers Taxidermy

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 12:00 AM

That would be cool to see. Congrats by the way

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 01:23 AM

Guy, I can trade him off so I can keep the duck in good shape, but to reinforce some training lessons, I'm letting him eat some ducks as a reward. They really enjoy a crop of warm, bloody duck meat instead of cold quail.

Fallen Feathers, we're always looking for places to fly. If you're within two hours of DFW and it looks like you are since your location says Texoma, we could bring some birds up if you have good places to fly. Stock tanks in the middle of open fields or pastures are the best. Even one duck on a pond is flyable. Ponds need to be less than an acre, but they can be a bit bigger under the right circumstances. Basically, we need a pond with ducks and relatively open ground for a couple hundred yards. Let me know.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 02:32 AM

Watching a falcon work is an amazing sight.

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 02:57 AM

If anyone would like to see a falcon hunt, that offer is open to anyone with a decent place to fly the bird within two hours of DFW or if you are willing to come this direction as the season gets going and the birds get even more in shape.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 12:19 PM

Gentlemen, we are doing it wrong. That's too cool.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 03:14 PM

That is very cool...congrats!
Posted By: aggielandman

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 04:49 PM

Cool!
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 07:48 PM

THAT IS BAD A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 09:07 PM

Will they eat grackles?
Posted By: elcasador

Re: Today's catch - 11/12/14 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Will they eat grackles?

rofl I hope so, I hate those stinkin birds!

That's pretty cool UTA!

Re: Today's catch - 11/13/14 03:47 AM

We have a bird in the house that will catch and eat grackles. It's a Harris Hawk. The bird I posted finds grackles to be lowly compared to waterfowl. smile
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Today's catch - 11/13/14 04:10 AM

Hello UTAhunter I am very interested. I manage the Poetry Shooting Club and we are 35 miles east of Dallas. I have a correct pond in the middle of a pasture that duck hunters find interesting. I also do quail hunts and would love to watch your birds hit the quail. Maybe we could make an event out of this and invite others interested to watch.

Hope to hear from you soon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum