Texas Hunting Forum

making a quick, portable blind

Posted By: BuckRage

making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 10:23 PM

Been thinking about making something for 2-3 people that would be very easy to transport and put up on public that will actually work. Anyone done this? Thought about using 4 t posts at an angle (a frame) and maybe using longer posts for rear so you get a "over hang" then wrap in continuous roll of thatching (duck blind grass) or burlap and tie some natural vegetation to it. Thoughts? Ideas? Place I hunt is federal public land and access is late 5a.m. so I'm stuck to something I can throw up quick.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 10:37 PM

You could tweak this a little and get something decently light

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5370556/New_blind#Post5370556
Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 10:52 PM

I've done that same thing on private land, except I used pointed 1x2's for posts (much lighter than t-posts). It would be a pain in the arse for public land. Enough grass mats to cover the front/back of an 8 foot blind is a pain to carry, unless you're in a boat. If you're walking in, someone's going to have to bear hug a 40lb 4-5 foot long roll of grass, another person's going to have to carry the posts, post driver or mallet, and stools. Then someone else is going to have to carry the decoys and all the other hunting gear.

I'm not Davy Crocket smart, because I'm just basing my comment on my personal experience and not some internet research, but I'd go with layout blinds...

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 10:53 PM

That's awesome R36! But that leaves me less spots I can get to with it. Plus I hunt with my still young boys so something lighter really works for us and we can access hard to get to areas with it.

Has anyone used burlap as a cover material? I hunt a river and right now its green but I can cut some natural vegetation to break it up and get natural color.

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 10:57 PM

The area has very good access throughout so the trek is pretty dang close. Never used the grass so not sure about weight so that's great information.

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 10:59 PM

By the way this is a river with a good levee road that parallels it. Oddly enough we don't have many duck hunters locally which is great!
Posted By: Guy

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/09/14 11:32 PM

On public I go layout blind when there is no cover, when their is cover I just use a cheap academy $5 dove stool, and blend in with natural cover. There is really no need for anything else, even on private. The "sit-in-a-blind" experience is cool for social type hunts (I leave this to private water), but not needed and not as good as layout or just blending in with natural cover.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 12:17 AM

There's some of that orange plastic safety netting stuff you can get in flat khaki that would work for you guys too, rob Robertson uses it pretty often if he ever shows back up he can tell you where to get it
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
There's some of that orange plastic safety netting stuff you can get in flat khaki that would work for you guys too, rob Robertson uses it pretty often if he ever shows back up he can tell you where to get it

Look up ez-fab or aerooutdoors
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 01:09 AM

Make some of these and use electrical conduit for the frame. Pretty well light weight, unless you try to make it the size of the barn. A roll of burlap and some local weed, greenery, stalks etc. to camo it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 01:16 AM

With a drill and tap you could adapt PVC fittings and use electrical conduit.

Posted By: Moe #2

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 01:39 AM

I've had good luck with 4' × 16' camo netting and 4 of the light wieght Tee post more like garden fence. Once in place I put natural vegetation on the netting. You could do multiple smaller sections so your younger guys could help carry.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 11:49 AM

Sticks, Logs, Brush, Twigs, Grass, and Mud. Public Lakes have no shortage of dead logs and timber laying around, and more 6'-8' tall salt cedar bushes than a man can shake a stick at... Make the blind higher in the back than in the front and cover the sides.

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. materials are cheap enough I'll give it a shot and see what happens. When I decide I really wanna kill thousands of ducks I'll ask David Crockett though grin peep
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/10/14 07:59 PM

Fiberglass fence post and camo net. Add some local brush. Very light easy to carry. Mine fits in a folding chair bag
Posted By: Duck chaser

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/11/14 12:16 AM

Check out the mobile blind that iI just posted gonna be light and not to bulky ibuilt it to seat four guys you could make it smaller
Posted By: BadLander

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/11/14 01:00 AM

1 Man/Dog blind! I think this year I'm going with pod blinds! Rather than a big long box! 4 guys with their own pod! It's all about your background, I'm wearing blue and white shirt in pic!
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/11/14 04:40 PM

My favorite portable blind is created with a machete or small hatchet. Whenever I get to my spot I pull out the cutting device and whack a few small willows or whatever is handy and stick it in the water around the closest tree to my spread in about 18" of water and have a seat. Works great.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: making a quick, portable blind - 11/11/14 04:51 PM

Love the pallet blind
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum