Texas Hunting Forum

north zone duck advice

Posted By: colind

north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 01:55 AM

I'm going duck hunting with my buddy on some private property around Corsicana. I think we're going the second weekend of the season. From what I hear we will be hunting a large pond. I'm used to hunting open water on the coast. What kind of ducks should I expect to see up there? What kind of decoys would work the best? Are there usually any geese in that area?
Posted By: Guy

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 02:23 AM

Gadwall, wigeon, pintail, teal, ringers, spoonies, wooduck, canvasback...depending on food source. Not very many mallards probably.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 02:35 AM

Use a puddler pack for decoys.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 02:47 AM

Depends on how quick of gets deep really. If it's got a nice shallow slough then expect the puddlers, if it gets deep fast it'll be a trash duck beat down. From what I've hunted and seen in that general area, most of the stock tanks have good shallow flats to them when they're full
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 03:10 AM

Scout the day before. May see a bunch- may see none. Early season always a toss up
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Depends on how quick of gets deep really. If it's got a nice shallow slough then expect the puddlers, if it gets deep fast it'll be a trash duck beat down. From what I've hunted and seen in that general area, most of the stock tanks have good shallow flats to them when they're full

Bingo
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 04:16 AM

Yeah it'll either be grey ducks and spoonies or divers
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 05:16 PM

You will most definitely see gadwalls. Being the second week, I'm guessing gadwall, widgeon, ringers and if your really lucky, spoonies.
Posted By: 68A

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/23/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
You will most definitely see gadwalls. Being the second week, I'm guessing gadwall, widgeon, ringers and if your really lucky, spoonies.

This. That early in the season expect mostly jacks and gadwalls.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: north zone duck advice - 10/24/14 02:10 PM

Just picked up a half dozen gadwalls for the opener!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum