Texas Hunting Forum

Hey Maxus owners...

Posted By: _Scooter_

Hey Maxus owners... - 10/22/14 10:10 PM

What Choke tubes are y'all running for steel shot? I just ordered a new aftermarket tube because I accidentally slightly damaged my factory MOD choke when I was cleaning it and it slipped out of my hands. While trying to catch it in midair, I only propelled it (read: spiked it like a volleyball) hard into the sharp corner of my vise on the workbench and nicked the thread end pretty good... yeah this stuff only happens to me right before duck season.

I went with the Kick's High Flyer in Modified, good choice? I hated buying it before trying it, but there's apparently a return policy.

What are you guys running in your Maxus for waterfowl? And what load?
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/22/14 10:20 PM

For decoying ducks I just shoot the factory IC tube. I haven't bought into the factory tubes, but I'm sure it shoots similar to your old one.

And I shoot 3" #4 of whatever is cheapest.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 12:06 AM

^^ spot on. The factory IC and MOD pattern great for me.

I shoot Federal blue box 2 3/4 6's and 4's and black cloud 4's and 2's later in the year. IC for both. I used the factory mod last year but after performing cranial removal on a couple teal moved to IC.
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 03:58 AM

Uhh I believe he was asking about aftermarket chokes...
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 04:02 AM

Briley/browning. LM #4-6
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 05:39 AM

IM
Posted By: Maxus

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 11:59 AM

I shoot the code black long range choke tube. The code black patterns really well out of my Maxus. Also, not near as many cripples. I hope this helps I shoot #3 and #4 for ducks and BB for geese. Good luck with your purchase.

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Uhh I believe he was asking about aftermarket chokes...

Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
What are you guys running in your Maxus for waterfowl? And what load?

We answered this question. If he damaged his factory mod, my suggestion would be go with the factory IC. No need to spend money on aftermarket unless you want to imo. Same question that's been asked here 1 million times, go pattern your loads in your gun with your choke and you find a winner. For my winner, I posted above.

Have a great day!
Posted By: Canvasback

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 02:35 PM

Carlson's mod for decoying ducks with nitro steel #4s
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 03:25 PM

I shoot Briley IC/LM/M Black Oxide extended chokes. Started shooting them last year. I originally bought them for an O/U I have since sold (buyer only wanted the factory flush chokes). Figured I bought them....ought to use them.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 03:26 PM

I clicked on this link expecting to see you announce there had been a recall on maxus shotguns. I've "recalled" mine to them three times cause it jams like a good PB & J, misfires like an old chevy, and malfunctions like a wardrobe during
superbowl halftime.

I still think it's the best shooting autoloader for waterfowl on the market. 90% of the time, I love it everytime.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 04:54 PM

Modified Kicks is what I run for everything. I love my maxus. Never had a failure with mine.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Maxus
I shoot the code black long range choke tube. The code black patterns really well out of my Maxus. Also, not near as many cripples. I hope this helps I shoot #3 and #4 for ducks and BB for geese. Good luck with your purchase.

Same here. Awesome combo.

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Can you post a link to where you found the code black tubes?

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: gacman
I clicked on this link expecting to see you announce there had been a recall on maxus shotguns. I've "recalled" mine to them three times cause it jams like a good PB & J, misfires like an old chevy, and malfunctions like a wardrobe during
superbowl halftime.

I still think it's the best shooting autoloader for waterfowl on the market. 90% of the time, I love it everytime.

I'm actually pretty shocked to hear that... is it a 3.5" version? My 3.5" stalker is a first-year production gun and my recollection is that it has NEVER failed to fire, eject, feed or chamber. Never. I clean the holy bejesus out of it though, and my friends think I'm nuts about that, but I clean about every hundred shots or whenever it gets wet. Gas guns are silly like that and if you gunk up a gas port you run into issues instantly. For the most part, my Maxus stays pretty clean after a few boxes. I've honestly never let it go more than maybe a hundred rounds without a strip down cleaning though.

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ETX-Gobbler590
Modified Kicks is what I run for everything. I love my maxus. Never had a failure with mine.

Just received it in the mail... bought it direct from Kick's and it only took 2 days!!! Great to see they are fast with shipping. Looks great on the shotgun, can't wait to see what it does on the board. I will update patterning pics hopefully tomorrow if I get a chance.

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 08:15 PM

Bought mine used but like you scooter, it doesn't get a couple boxes in before it's cleaning time. I like all the guys that brag that they haven't cleaned their shotguns in 3 years and it still fires.. roflmao to each is own but I'll take care of my stuff. No misfires, fouled ejections, great gun.

That being said, included when I purchased it is a PM Code Black Duck tube that will never see the inside of my gun. PM me I'm sure we can work it out if you want it.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ETX-Gobbler590

Just received it in the mail... bought it direct from Kick's and it only took 2 days!!! Great to see they are fast with shipping. Looks great on the shotgun, can't wait to see what it does on the board. I will update patterning pics hopefully tomorrow if I get a chance.

up
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/23/14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Can you post a link to where you found the code black tubes?

https://www.patternmaster.com/categories/91_Code_Black
Posted By: folsom

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/24/14 01:11 AM

I use kicks in my Maxus and love them. I have three in different patterns and Change them out depending shooting conditions. High flyer reaches out there like a surface to air missel in my experience!!
Love the Maxus. I've hunted it some pretty harsh conditions and it's never let me down.
Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: Hey Maxus owners... - 10/24/14 04:37 PM

Kick's makes a great choke. I have one for my Browning Gold.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum