Texas Hunting Forum

Scouted today saw lots of birds...

Posted By: Guy

Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 02:20 AM

Just no ducks. grin

Toothcup, the pintails will be all over this...

Checked out the lease, water is full, lots of food, just need ducks.. That brush is from last season, just need to add a little more.. The lighting on that pic was cool, I did not mess with it.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 03:02 AM

Did you go out on a boat? If so, which one?

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 03:09 AM

Took the gator trax out and got stuck a bunch. And realized getting stuck is not so bad, just got to get out and push. grin
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 03:14 AM

Chased out a flock of teal this weekend setting the new blind. Better late then never I guess...

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Took the gator trax out and got stuck a bunch. And realized getting stuck is not so bad, just got to get out and push. grin

worthless
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 12:02 PM

Does not sound promising, hope I find some for the kiddos to shot this weekend. Did not find much this past weekend.
Well sounds like you are learning the limits of the new boat, just remember when it gets skinny, hammer down on the throttle and get out of there. Once the boat drops off plane you will be stuck if its hard bottom, soft mud or silt, no problem.
There is a learning curve with that rig.

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 12:49 PM

Couple weeks ago saw ok number of ducks on lake A (could have been resident ducks), lake B jumped up one small group of ducks, and yesterday lake C saw one group flying way far away. And no ducks on my lease. And to the lake, and to my lease, and back home I took country roads and looked at every pond, most of the ponds I have been watching for 8 years, and when the ducks are here these ponds hold ducks, and I did not see one duck.

My lease is a gadwall honey hole, when the gaddies are down, my lease is a gadwall magnet.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 02:34 PM

I scouted 4 ponds yesterday, and gave the dogs some exercise.
Only saw one duck,and one coot.
Two dove,two quail, and a massive jack rabbit.
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 02:40 PM

God Bless Gadwalls. Been MANY a hunt where the good ol' "Brown Ducks" saved what have been an otherwise bad hunt. And they taste as good as Mallards and Pintails. Far and away Gads are my favorite duck.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 04:07 PM

I see the snow geese are getting their early.
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 05:07 PM

My lease is a gadwall honey hole, when the gaddies are down, my lease is a gadwall magnet.

Give it a week. They always show up for me the last week of Oct every year.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Yassir Sanchez
God Bless Gadwalls. Been MANY a hunt where the good ol' "Brown Ducks" saved what have been an otherwise bad hunt. And they taste as good as Mallards and Pintails. Far and away Gads are my favorite duck.

I agree. I love the grey birds. I took my two brothers on a hunt in a WMA. The daylight birds didn't show up. We hung in there and stayed with the intent of staying until the noon cut off time. 11:30 AM I heard the first "Meeeeeap". Way way up high and they were dropping into the spread. 4 of us limited in just a few minutes as they were just dumping into that hole. They made a hero out of that hunt for sure.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 08:41 PM

I counted 49 Greys and 19 teal sat. You are just on the wrong flyway.

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
I see the snow geese are getting their early.

Those are snow/spoonie hybrids....

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/20/14 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Well I hope it turns into the right flyaway by the 1st. The 5 years I been on this lease, open morning has always been a grey duck smack down.
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/21/14 12:30 AM

God save the grey ducks and widg..Centex official ducks of opening day. I ain't picky, can't be in centex..not like we used to be able to anyway. I challenge any hunter to keep the safety on and never shoulder their guns when a group of 50 greys or cottontops drop into the blocks 15 yards from you. If you do then you are more of a green snob than I ever was.

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/21/14 12:35 AM

told you it wasn't a matter of if, but when grin

Homeyfucius say...you ain't pushing the boundaries hard enough if you never stick it yingyang
Posted By: kellygunner

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/21/14 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
God save the grey ducks and widg..Centex official ducks of opening day. I ain't picky, can't be in centex..not like we used to be able to anyway. I challenge any hunter to keep the safety on and never shoulder their guns when a group of 50 greys or cottontops drop into the blocks 15 yards from you. If you do then you are more of a green snob than I ever was.

I see the surface drive, why don't I ever see people with the sport v on their boats? I was looking at the sport v to be a option for compromise between a mud motor and a outboard motor. Thoughts?

Kelly
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/21/14 10:26 PM

Last years opener, 5 man limit of mostly gaddies and teal just like every other opener. I will say though, we saw many more birds already last year than so far this year, makes me a little nervous!

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/22/14 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

worthless

If I posted pics, Mo and Homey would say "you call that being stuck?" grin

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/22/14 01:43 AM

Would reverse of helped?

bolt

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/22/14 02:15 AM

No, I don't see how reverse would ever get you unstuck.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/22/14 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Well I hope it turns into the right flyaway by the 1st. The 5 years I been on this lease, open morning has always been a grey duck smack down.

It will be, never fells. Everyone of the ones I saw where migrators, quick drink and back to being south bound.

Same thing ever year.... Then wait until okla starts freezing and boom all the green show up.

Re: Scouted today saw lots of birds... - 10/22/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: kellygunner
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

I see the surface drive, why don't I ever see people with the sport v on their boats? I was looking at the sport v to be a option for compromise between a mud motor and a outboard motor. Thoughts?

Kelly

Just cuz you don't see em plastered all over duck forums don't mean they are not out there. MOre and more are hitting the water every day. Here's one from some boys in timber with their H last season

here's a V on a CC

I have 3 G Trax rigs right now on order and all will have V's on them. After the initial issues were found and resolved ( Just like any first run product) they are solid motors now. I've said it before and I stand by it, I personally have no need for reverse. Having said that I don't see they need to spend the extra money for a reverse-optioned motor. But there are many folks that wouldn't own a mm without it. To each his own and with Mud Buddy you can have it either way. The new V and H's are sweet motors to run I will say though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum