Texas Hunting Forum

Want to try some duck hunting this year

Posted By: HuntFish512

Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 05:30 PM

Me and my good buddy that always hunt dove together every year would really like to try our hand at some ducks this year. But neither of us have any clue what were doing nor do we want to make a big investment into decoys and all that until we knows its something we will really enjoy. Is there anyone in the williamson county area that might be willing to show us the ropes?
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 05:30 PM

First thing you need is a place to do it. If you have a place to do it, you could easily talk me into bringing the gear laugh
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 05:43 PM

Hehe. I got my stamp last year because we had ducks coming over my place to my neighors pond. I had no gear but I got 2 ducks. Had 1 mounted and tried to eat the other. I'll stick to shooting doves, dad said don't shoot it unless you are going to eat it. I had my fill of duck. rofl
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
First thing you need is a place to do it. If you have a place to do it, you could easily talk me into bringing the gear laugh

same here... ill even give you some shells lol banana
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 06:07 PM

Yes, most definitely a big waste of time and money.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
Yes, most definitely a big waste of time and money.

and boring.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 07:25 PM

Duck hunting is like middle-eastern religion. Nobody will take you seriously if you don't have a beard. You also have to have a $30,000 rig with enough LED Lightbars on the front that you can be seen from space. You'll need a 10 guage and the loudest duck call you can find. Black Cloud shells work best.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Streater
Duck hunting is like middle-eastern religion. Nobody will take you seriously if you don't have a beard. You also have to have a $30,000 rig with enough LED Lightbars on the front that you can be seen from space. You'll need a 10 guage and the loudest duck call you can find. Black Cloud shells work best.

You forgot the tricked out monster truck with 18 wheeler exhaust pipe and tolltag
Posted By: Number 1 Barnie

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Originally Posted By: Streater

You forgot the tricked out monster truck with 18 wheeler exhaust pipe and tolltag

and AT LEAST 8 mojos
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 09:20 PM

Don't go on a guided hunt. It will give you a false sense of how much work, money and time it takes to do it right.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntFish512
Me and my good buddy that always hunt dove together every year would really like to try our hand at some ducks this year. But neither of us have any clue what were doing nor do we want to make a big investment into decoys and all that until we knows its something we will really enjoy. Is there anyone in the williamson county area that might be willing to show us the ropes?

The bad news is this, "there are no ducks in central texas."
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Fowlman
Don't go on a guided hunt. It will give you a false sense of how much work, money and time it takes to do it right.

I disagree, go on a guided hunt. That is how I started duck hunting. The guides (usually) are more than happy to teach you about duck hunting. I love duck hunting personally, more than deer hunting, I just don't have a place to shoot them all that often.

If you are serious about getting into it, get a duck lease and start building some blinds. Otherwise, if you want to go the slower route, schedule a couple guided hunts, go buy some waders, steel loads, and you are set. I would recommend the guided route because buying all the gear can get expensive quick. Start practicing you duck calls, thats probably the hardest part.

Oh, and don't over cook the duck!

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 09:44 PM

A decent ducklease = mucho dinero.
Plus you need 3-4 good holes to rotate, which = mucho mas dinero
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 10:27 PM

I hate duck hunting.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 10:36 PM

Waders and a dozen decoys to start.

If your hunting open water then get a good layout if not just hide in trees or other cover.

Scout to see where the ducks want to be and get there early.

In general hunt with the wind blowing at your back opposite of deer hunting.

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Going Green
I hate duck hunting.

Me too, i d rather shoot geese and cranes.

Outta be a good year in the panhandle this year wherever there is food
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Originally Posted By: Going Green
I hate duck hunting.

Me too, i d rather shoot geese and cranes.

Outta be a good year in the panhandle this year wherever there is food

Meh... Paying $600 for a no-show hunt followed by 17 guys shooting out a sky carp roost should be an experience everyone should have once. I knew better after the first day, but I still went anyways the second. Most waterfowl guides are lyin, cheatin, sacks of shite, but that guy took it to a whole new level. I'm done paying for hunts. That was $600 worth of diesel fuel and equipment rentals I coulda used to build my Mecca.

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/23/14 11:47 PM

I understand.

My yearly hunt to central illinois during thx giving is always fun. No hunting pressure. Early in the season. Enough geese for a small group, hunting next to a refuge. Enough mallards for a couple of days. Good very small operation. Never have to pay a deposit, only pay after the hunt.
People with morals.
http://www.ganderhill.net
Posted By: Tyrannosaurusrexeggs

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/24/14 12:48 AM

I'm in the same boat on eating them but I'm addicted to shooting them, tried making jerky with the meat 5 years ago and haven't looked back!
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/24/14 09:08 AM

Get with a local guide and ask them for an introductory hunt. Most guides will show you how to hunt.

Get a couple of good recipes and enjoy. PM me if you want some.

Duck hunting is addicting and can get expensive, just be smart about it. We actually offer a season pass with guided hunts both days every weekend for $2500 which is way cheaper than multiple duck leases.
Posted By: HuntFish512

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/25/14 03:13 AM

thanks for all the advice guys. I think im going to start looking at guides if i dont go for a day hunt with another THFer.

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 09/25/14 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntFish512
thanks for all the advice guys. I think im going to start looking at guides if i dont go for a day hunt with another THFer.

Dont wait too long, the good ones are getting pretty full for weekends
Try to hunt on fridays
Posted By: birdog903

Re: Want to try some duck hunting this year - 10/02/14 03:07 AM

Addicting and expensive. You've been warned...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum