Texas Hunting Forum

Duck blind questions

Posted By: Wehrle

Duck blind questions - 09/14/14 10:59 PM

I have a new piece of water this year and I am going to build some good blinds. What direction do you all face the blinds to cover "most" fall/winter wind directions? Also anybody have some good plans/ideas for inexpensive blinds that are functional? Thanks for the input ~MATT
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/14/14 11:15 PM

East/West
North/South
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/14/14 11:19 PM

I wouldn't put a blind facing into the east if you plan on hunting morning like most people do, Always try to have the sun at your back, I would also have one looking south so that when a nice front comes in you'll be set up good. Also late in the season ive found it more productive to have the deks set where the birds will come in for a cross shot instead of a direct in front shot, a bit harder shot but seems to help get those more weary birds to fully commit. Good luck
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/15/14 04:54 AM

We just took t-posts and wired goat fence to them. You then can brush them in weaving the branches through the wire or attach using zip ties. It's easy, fast and cheap. It's not fancy but it works.

We just bring our own chairs to sit in but you could easily build a bench to keep in it.

I would at least have two... one for a north wind and one for a south wind.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/15/14 01:02 PM

Agree 100% w Merican - if on north- we like ENE- I would rather block ducks w dekes than coming strait in.

Depending on situation- lay down blinds are always more concealed than regular- I have several sled blinds- one floating 2 man, and lay downs
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/15/14 01:23 PM

Use layouts and makeshift blinds till you figure that hole out. Weather you like it or not you may have to build a blind facing due east. Hunt it a season then build your blind. So many factors come into play
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/15/14 01:32 PM

Screw cattle panels and layouts. Here you go. When I am done with that lease, this blind is coming with me. It has a kitchen for coffee, bacon and eggs. There is a large shelf behind all the shooters. On that shelf are cases of shells, duck calls, butt paper, anything you think you might even think you could possibly use. It is all right there. In front of the shooters is a shelf running the length of the shooting window. Coffee, shells and guns go there. Gun slots to hold the barrels and old boots screwed to the shelf. The old boots hold the gun butts to keep from kicking a gun over. Outside the blind, on the trailer hitch part is a platform with a dog box and a ramp. You can close the door and release the dog when you are ready. The worst place to test steadyness of a dog is in the field. They develope bad habits. The dog box ends all worries. Give a sit command, open the door, then a send command. Works great, no burning their arse for breaking. Now if I could just add more ducks, other that woodducks in early season, things would be a whole lot better.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/15/14 01:45 PM

Anything that works... don't think to much about it... Have a few like this... a few with tpost and cattle panel... and if the wind is wrong for all of them we just stand in the reeds or by a tree

Posted By: RayB

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/15/14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Screw cattle panels and layouts. Here you go. When I am done with that lease, this blind is coming with me. It has a kitchen for coffee, bacon and eggs. There is a large shelf behind all the shooters. On that shelf are cases of shells, duck calls, butt paper, anything you think you might even think you could possibly use. It is all right there. In front of the shooters is a shelf running the length of the shooting window. Coffee, shells and guns go there. Gun slots to hold the barrels and old boots screwed to the shelf. The old boots hold the gun butts to keep from kicking a gun over. Outside the blind, on the trailer hitch part is a platform with a dog box and a ramp. You can close the door and release the dog when you are ready. The worst place to test steadyness of a dog is in the field. They develope bad habits. The dog box ends all worries. Give a sit command, open the door, then a send command. Works great, no burning their arse for breaking. Now if I could just add more ducks, other that woodducks in early season, things would be a whole lot better.

Why, you're just a big ol sissy wimp!!!
Uh! are there any open spots on your place roflmao
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/17/14 12:40 AM

Matt, one blind, I want it facing SW.

If I get two, then one west one south depending on wind and patterns
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/17/14 12:40 AM

Wal that is extreme brother
Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/17/14 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Use layouts and makeshift blinds till you figure that hole out. Weather you like it or not you may have to build a blind facing due east. Hunt it a season then build your blind. So many factors come into play
This for sure you need to know where the ducks are going to be and then you can work it from there. We are going to hunt some private property this year that had some waterfowl habitat added to it about 3 to 4 years ago. Its been so dry this is the first year that it has actually had water on it. If I get to hunt it regularly we will be working on being very mobile at first.........I just hope it actually attracts some ducks....
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/17/14 03:30 AM

Agree w SW and W- depends on size of water. If a few acre hole, east side dead center facing west- you can hunt any north or south wind- and block w dekes when the wind is west.
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/17/14 03:42 PM

For me personally I will say that for every duck I have shot out of a blind I have taken ten while impersonating a tree or leaning up against said tree.
Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/22/14 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Yassir Sanchez
For me personally I will say that for every duck I have shot out of a blind I have taken ten while impersonating a tree or leaning up against said tree.
This is usually how I hunt but I've usually hunting timber when I'm hunting public.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/22/14 01:16 PM

This is how we build most of ours. Then we will add fresh cedar tree branches to add a little green when season begins. 4 T posts, and 2 cattle panels

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/22/14 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Originally Posted By: wal1809

Why, you're just a big ol sissy wimp!!!
Uh! are there any open spots on your place roflmao

up
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/22/14 06:32 PM

I love the old school Coleman stove you are rocking in that blind. I thought I was the only one left with the Camp Fuel burning stove and lanterns.

Re: Duck blind questions - 09/23/14 12:20 AM

I loved it too, right up until it sprung a leak, while making coffee last year. A leak is one thing. A firery flame thrower in a confined space like that aint good. I told my brother "Get out". Its the first time EVER he didnt argue with me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum