Texas Hunting Forum

How do you cook teal

Posted By: bobcat1

How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 11:50 AM

I have never cooked a duck and liked the way it tasted. What's some recipes for teal?
Posted By: TXPride

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 12:54 PM

Brine the birds and Just stick with anything medium rare. If you don't like eating meat that way, try crockpot recipes of some sort. If you don't like that, I've heard people have success with making jerky. If all else fails, make sausage.

My go-to is fajitas. Even the folks who claim they don't like duck, can't tell the difference once toppings and tortilla are added.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 12:58 PM

teal.
yuck
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 01:06 PM

I cut the breast into strips and chicken fry them. I call them duck fingers. I have also had duck gumbo that was delicious.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 01:19 PM

Chicken fry is the best
Posted By: RayB

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 01:32 PM

Cover the breast with Dijon mustard. Let stand overnight, cut them into strips roll the strips in whole wheat flour and fry them to a golden brown.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 03:11 PM

I put the whole teal in the fridge for 7 to 10 days before I breast it. Then I pound out the breast, put blackening seasoning on, sear both sides for 45 seconds, low heat for 2 minutes on each side, and then serve! I did the same recipe with a 9 day aged goose from last year and it was awesome.
Posted By: Noojen

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 03:19 PM

Pluck it, gut it, brine it (4 cups water, 1/4 cup salt, & 1/4 cup brown sugar) for at least a day (I brine mine for 3 days replacing with just water after the first day), squeeze some lemon or orange all over it, stuff the used lemon/orange, some fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary in the cavity, salt all over to taste, and roast it for 12-15 min at 500 degrees. Let it rest for 5-7 minutes after taking it out of the oven and enjoy!
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 05:23 PM

You can find a marinade that you enjoy and let the breast meat soak in it over night. Grill them with some boudin and a garden salad for a nice camp meal.

The other way I enjoy them is in a jambalaya

Posted By: oilag

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 08:43 PM

All great recipes. I soak all my game in brine for 2-3 days before cooking. My favs:

1) salt pepper breast, pound em out a bit dip in seasoned flour, dip in eggwash, flour again, and pan fry for about 2 mins on each side. Serve with some homemade cream gravy

2) salt pepper breast, pound em out a bit, sear in hot cast iron for a few mins on each side, slice in small pieces against the grain, toss pieces in some melted butter, serve in fresh corn tortilla with pico and avocado.

3) bacon wrapped WITHOUT cream cheese, grilled medium rare

Good luck! Teal are one of my fav birds to eat.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: How do you cook teal - 09/14/14 09:25 PM

same way I do dove, wrap em in bacon with a jalapeno slice and on the grill with some BBQ sauce... getting hungry just thinking about it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum