Texas Hunting Forum

Teal Scouting Report in NTX

Posted By: Triple7

Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 03:37 PM

Guys I'm not asking for locations, but has any teal been spotted in North Texas? Unfortunately I've been working a ton and haven't been able to look myself.
Posted By: Noojen

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 03:49 PM

I saw 0 teal or ducks of any kind near Honey Grove yesterday...I saw commerants, cranes, & a hawk divebomb a school of fish for his breakfast, though. eek2
Posted By: Bowtech kid

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 04:29 PM

Covered in then seen ten groups of them this am dove hunting going from a roosting pond to a couple of smaller ponds on r place should be a fun opener
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 04:42 PM

saw 4... thats it, friday afternoon will be the time to scout!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter
saw 4... thats it, friday afternoon will be the time to scout!

Nopes, make it friday morning at 7 am would be a more productive scout
Posted By: Trapperjohn1178

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 05:25 PM

Jumped up quite a few (15-20) on stock pond north of Dallas scouting some dove hunting spots last week
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 05:43 PM

Yes Sir there are some out there! A lot of flooded vegetation so they can be sittin without having to get up! Jumped some good flocks Friday eve! I usually scout just to see there pattern but morning birds have 24 hours to get the (censored) out of dodge! If they are there at sunset! Good chance you will hammer them in the AM! Unless Mother Nature pushes them out! "My N texas observation only"
Posted By: duckman10

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 09:38 PM

Seen more teal today than I seen all last early season combined. I had close to 300 birds.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/07/14 09:42 PM

I've seen a handful but haven't scouted much. I'll be scouting a bunch this week so hopefully it is a little more promising

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 04:57 PM

saw a few more this morning, 10 or so
Posted By: fishpig30

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 05:07 PM

Found a huntable number.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 07:20 PM

Haven't seen one yet...local woodies and that's it so far. Got rain on the lease yesterday, so we'll have to see what this week's scouting brings.

Not to mention the cooler weather moving in later this week...it'll be a whole different ball game come Friday/Saturday.
Posted By: GreaterMallard

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 09:25 PM

We are getting hammered with teal right now. Seen more in the last week then I did all of last season. Boys in the northern states have reported a major push out and are not seeing any and with the next big front coming through I am expecting it to be one grand slam teal season. Last year poor water conditions and no weather to move birds made it a horrible season and most of the birds came through during the month of October. Last season during the youth weekend we had a couple of large volleys of BWT come into the dekes. I am not too worried about this next front pushing everything out before the weekend. I think it is gonna make em thick as molasses. It will likely hurt the Kansas season. Unlike last year when there was over 100K birds on the Cheyenne Bottoms in Kansas most of the season.
Posted By: Get'n Jiggy

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 09:37 PM

Going out today to scout but the weather is changing and a cold front is pushing south. Saturday high is going be be in the low 70's. The green wings should stick around but the blues won't I bet. I'll post up later smile

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 10:50 PM

My spots are dry as a bone. I found a few puddles and some open water near a dry creek.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 10:52 PM

bang

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 10:54 PM

eeks333
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 11:43 PM

Had 150-200 on our lake near Temple.
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/08/14 11:57 PM

Saw several (4-5) groups buzz past is Saturday afternoon while dove hunting in northern collin county. Nothing in our pond though. All were headed south and in a hurry. My buddy up in Nebraska hit two limits last weekend. I imagine they will be here in numbers this wknd. I'm headed to the coast for a teal hunt Sunday morning.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/09/14 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BadLander
Yes Sir there are some out there! A lot of flooded vegetation so they can be sittin without having to get up! Jumped some good flocks Friday eve! I usually scout just to see there pattern but morning birds have 24 hours to get the (censored) out of dodge! If they are there at sunset! Good chance you will hammer them in the AM! Unless Mother Nature pushes them out! "My N texas observation only"

Makes perfect sense to me.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 03:12 AM

Just mallards around here so far. nidea Guess I make a blind on the muddy flat next to open water and hope for the best. My other option is tight back in the woods in a dry creek. In the bend half mile from open water had a stretch of water with a rocky bank. Maybe a blue wing will nest on those rocks or a green wing will show in the muddy flats to feed.

slinger
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 10:18 AM

Any one seeing any in young county?
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 02:37 PM

Scouted a few spots and it was a big 0
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 03:17 PM

Found quite a few but its public land and its hard to tell who may get there first or if they'll be there Saturday morning.
Posted By: mbole

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 03:21 PM

Found a couple on Friday afternoon. Will scout again this Friday morning and afternoon.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 04:50 PM

Fraid them blues will bypass N tejas bang

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 05:48 PM

Maybe I can borrow my great grand dad's single shot goose gun and wing one as they fly south to Cabo banana2

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/10/14 11:17 PM

Scouted hard yesterday afternoon, and ran into a couple other boats out scouting spots that I thought were somewhat secret... not worried though, didn't really see enough birds to give away the spots. As I always say scout or pout... may end up scouting, and pouting Saturday am if this front doesn't blow in some birds. confused2
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Triple7
Guys I'm not asking for locations, but has any teal been spotted in North Texas? Unfortunately I've been working a ton and haven't been able to look myself.

I've seen teal at Hagerman, Corsicana, and Tawokoni.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter
Scouted hard yesterday afternoon, and ran into a couple other boats out scouting spots that I thought were somewhat secret... not worried though, didn't really see enough birds to give away the spots. As I always say scout or pout... may end up scouting, and pouting Saturday am if this front doesn't blow in some birds. confused2

Cold fronts don't bring teal. (Big ducks different story) They dont care, they leave on that full moon regardless the coldfront and go straight to the coast. Unless u plant 200000 acre of flooded rice in north texas you might have a chance at a few left overs.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 08:50 PM

Last week we had 150-200 teal on a private lake near Temple. This morning we had between 500-1000 on the lake.

Its not really North Tx but close enough.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 08:50 PM

Why the (censored) do they not show up after august 10 on that full moon????? Cause the weather has not sent them south!
Gee Wolly what do you think dad will say about my teal knowledge this year??? Same thing he told you last year Beav!!! " shut the Hell up"
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 09:01 PM

I guess the top dog at DU is wrong...

Quote:
Migration Alert: Upcoming weather may prompt teal migration
Sept. 5, 2012

By Dale Humburg, DU Chief Scientist

Relatively minor weather events are enough to prompt blue-winged teal migrations any time after about mid-August. And this has been the case so far in 2012, with an initial minor push of birds around 16-17 August and again by the first weekend of September.

The weather is lining up again to trigger another teal migration in time for a number of states that have an 8 September opening date for their special teal season. Weather predicted for Saskatoon, SK includes lows in the 40s and WNW to NW winds through Thursday.

The same weather system extends into the Dakotas by Friday and the Midwest by Saturday. Some local rains are also forecast. After a severe drought during the summer, rains have been sufficient to fill the cracks in some instances and locally, have improved water for migrant teal.

It's likely to be a fleeting migration event, however, as teal habitat is generally not plentiful, and birds will continue their southern migration after showing up for a day or so. Although spotty, natural food conditions (millet, smartweed, etc.) are at least fair in some regions. It will take a few rain events, however, to ensure availability into the fall.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 09:19 PM

Teal dont have any reasons to stop in north texas just like snows. They go to the coast

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 09:24 PM

Why the (censored) do they not show up after august 10 on that full moon????? Cause the weather has not sent them south!
Gee Wolly what do you think dad will say about my teal knowledge this year??? Same thing he told you last year Beav!!! " shut the Hell up"

Some did show up on august 10th, not here, down the coast
Posted By: Twisted Mallard HC

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 09:25 PM

We have been seeing some good numbers in North Texas

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 09:25 PM

Yeah but I have a teal mojo !!!!!!! I don't need them to visit long !!!!

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 09:28 PM

Yeah but I have a teal mojo !!!!!!! I don't need them to visit long !!!!

In that case i rest my case. You will limit on teal in n tejas in 6 seconds saturday

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/11/14 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Teal dont have any reasons to stop in north texas just like snows. They go to the coast

I take it you haven't been hunting waterfowl long in N. Texas.

Not tryin to be rude, but that comment is absolutely ridiculous.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: aerangis

Been hunting teal for the last 19 yrs in tejas. I think for every teal in september you have in N texas, you have 100 down on the coast. Im talking about september, not Nov 1st greenies. But i could be wrong. Not to be rude neither, but show me a place in north tejas, in september, with at least 2000 -3000 teal on the water. Aint gonna happen.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 12:34 AM

Blue wing migrate on moon phases- not weather.

If u are fortunate to have a lake or good size slough near a major NT lake- it will be spotty at best.

Typically heats up after 21st- opening is spotty.

If 2 dudes limit out due to knocking down 4-6 birds on 2-3 flocks- different story.

Don't expect big numbers- I have millet growing out my ears on several properties- sure there will be a few

Keep everyone posted

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 12:44 AM

Here you go BEAVER! I don't wanna throw lake names out there! So just take a guess ! Opening day early teal season north texas 2013!!!!

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Blue wing migrate on moon phases- not weather.

If u are fortunate to have a lake or good size slough near a major NT lake- it will be spotty at best.

Typically heats up after 21st- opening is spotty.

If 2 dudes limit out due to knocking down 4-6 birds on 2-3 flocks- different story.

Don't expect big numbers- I have millet growing out my ears on several properties- sure there will be a few

Keep everyone posted

Amen up

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 01:03 AM

Here you go BEAVER! I don't wanna throw lake names out there! So just take a guess ! Opening day early teal season north texas 2013!!!!

The beaver does not hunt publico en tejas.
Tired of dealing with numnuts
Posted By: Ty_Hoe

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 01:29 AM

The Ty Hoe does hunt public in Tejas. Where was this? Lol
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 01:29 AM

So how long does it take a BWT to reach the coast?

Full moon was September 8th. If the birds high tailed it south on the 8th would most have already made it to the coast?

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 01:31 AM

Lol it was a joke!! Not many eagles and frozen ponds in N Texas in sept!

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 01:38 AM

Man I get their point! They are gonna stop off and eat a bit and then high tail it outa here! I saw 50 this eve , my objective for early teal is to throw out a dozen dekes sit it the weeds with my coffee,Scratch off a few at sunrise! Zap the ( censored) out of the dog a few times for acting like a freak !And try and do it again on Sunday !!!!

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
So how long does it take a BWT to reach the coast?

Full moon was September 8th. If the birds high tailed it south on the 8th would most have already made it to the coast?

They move on waxing gibbous and waning gibbous as well, which gives them a 12 day strech
Posted By: Moe #2

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 03:17 AM

Looking at that picture it's obvious! I see my problem! I don't have the new mojo eagle.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 04:08 AM

Been hunting teal for the last 19 yrs in tejas. I think for every teal in september you have in N texas, you have 100 down on the coast. Im talking about september, not Nov 1st greenies. But i could be wrong. Not to be rude neither, but show me a place in north tejas, in september, with at least 2000 -3000 teal on the water. Aint gonna happen.

Last year beav, I could've shown you a picture of that many teal... this year will be much different! And your right, they do migrate based on the moon phase, but they are animals, and animals are opportunistic. I would think it is much easier to fly those thousands of miles with a tail wind rather than a head wind.
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 04:19 AM

Had a ton of blue and green winged teal yesterday on the private lake in mills County and a few cinnamon teal as well. It is setting up to be like three years ago down there when at first light it seemed to rain teal!

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 04:24 AM

how could you tell they were cinnamon teal?
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 10:32 AM

As usual, every year the Beaver shows his ignorance which is why everyone loves to pound the Beaver.

I could take your challenge of showing you 2000-3000 teal in North Texas during teal season but it would not serve me or anyone else any purpose so carry on with your theories, just one less numnut to deal with on the public lakes.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 10:51 AM

I no longer hunt public in texas as of last season, although i like the challenge, don't like the crowd.
Texas needs way more public places. They have the land, but just too many mineral rights to protect.

Hagerman refuge, as of yesterday morning, only had 200 teal on it.
I have yet to see hunters from the coast travel to north texas to hunt teal in september.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 02:48 PM

Good luck to everyone that put the work in to find them, have a great weekend!
Posted By: garrett

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter

As usual, every year the Beaver shows his ignorance which is why everyone loves to pound the Beaver.

I could take your challenge of showing you 2000-3000 teal in North Texas during teal season but it would not serve me or anyone else any purpose so carry on with your theories, just one less numnut to deal with on the public lakes.

so teal hunting in north Texas is as good or better than it is in south Texas?

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 03:00 PM

U know better garett
Posted By: garrett

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 03:02 PM

of course I do beaver

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/12/14 04:28 PM

. troll

Good luck everyone hunting in Ntx in the morning.
Posted By: Ty_Hoe

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/13/14 08:32 AM

Lol it was a joke!! Not many eagles and frozen ponds in N Texas in sept!

Lol I guessed by the search term "thousands of waterfowl" I'm just curious to where the pic was actually taken.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/13/14 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
Originally Posted By: mohunter
[quote=beaversnipe]Teal dont have any reasons to stop in north texas just like snows. They go to the coast

so teal hunting in north Texas is as good or better than it is in south Texas?

Who ever said that, obviously not, but for the Beav to say they do not stop in North Texas is ridiculous.

I hunt the rice too and know how good it is in south Texas and south LA but rarely go there because there are plenty in north Texas.

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/13/14 08:27 PM

I no longer hunt public in texas as of last season, although i like the challenge, don't like the crowd.
Texas needs way more public places. They have the land, but just too many mineral rights to protect.

Hagerman refuge, as of yesterday morning, only had 200 teal on it.
I have yet to see hunters from the coast travel to north texas to hunt teal in september.

Two weeks ago this past Tuesday, I assisted with a US Dept of Fish & Wildlife avian survey at Hagermann. I assure you, there were significantly more than 200 teal.
Posted By: Moe #2

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/16/14 03:09 PM

This may seem weird. After seeing that picture. Saturday evening I went out where I shot teal last year and believe it or not there was a bald eagle on the shoreline! I've never seen an eagle in the wild. Unfortunately not one teal. But that close to being psychic. Bad lander could you please pm me a picture of lottery numbers?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/16/14 03:23 PM

So howd all this work out for N Texas

Re: Teal Scouting Report in NTX - 09/16/14 03:40 PM

Lol actually my wife has video of one here just north of 380 we have seen it twice!!! On our canoe trips thru the greenbelt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum