Texas Hunting Forum

What choke are you using on Dove

Posted By: feech

What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 03:45 AM

Ok, so after 3 days of dove hunting, I beginning to wonder if I need a different choke. I'm using a modified choke, how about you?

Feech
Posted By: BadLander

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 03:57 AM

Nope !!!! Your just missing!!!! Lol seriously tho I've always used modified!
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 04:09 AM

I shoot an o/u and typically I shoot my modified barrel first but if the are real close I use my imp cyl barrel. Shoot a box and figure out your pattern. A modified can make'em drop at a pretty good distance. Find you some # 8 shot.

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 04:38 AM

Goodoboy, That there is good advice. Sounds like you have the perfect set up. I'm shooting an 870, so hitting the hard charging dove up close is a little tougher (hunting with a mojo over a tank). I was shooting #7's, I think I'll switch to 8's. Seriously thinking about getting an imp cal.

Thanks,
F
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 05:19 AM

Same here. I usually use improved cylinder, but switched to modified and my hit numbers suffered. Guess I need to learn to shoot a modified choke better.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 06:31 AM

IM
Posted By: hovercat

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 07:55 AM

Full, it is what I have. Works since I am a bit slower shot than the young folks.
Posted By: Going Green

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 11:28 AM

I shoot a double trigger sxs 20ga and have them choked mod and IM. Love being able to pull the second trigger (left barrel) on the birds out a liitle farther and then have the other barrel for the closer birds. If they are really flying close, I'll swap it for an IC or Cyl.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 11:41 AM

Ic
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 11:42 AM

I always shoot full....
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 01:25 PM

Light Mod
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 01:31 PM

Improved cylinder size 7.5's
Posted By: Western

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: texasdude28
Improved cylinder size 7.5's

That's what I ended the opening day with, after a brain fart of removing my Full turkey choke I used this past Spring and put it right back in confused2

Also tried 8's with the M and IC and worked very good out to 30 yards. Ran out of 8's and the 7-1/2 was spot on with the IC the next day and a half.
Posted By: 3 shots 1 kill.

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 02:18 PM

Turkey extreme full. It allows me to take 100 yard shots and sky bust all day.
Posted By: Loden

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 03:26 PM

my son and I have been running skeet / Light mod in our O/U's, and it has been working fine with #8's.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 04:04 PM

I'm still using IC, but might switch here in a week to Mod. I have been knocking birds down at 40yds so I figure a Mod might give me 50yds. One thing to take into consideration as how you are shooting. Shooting with the wind you get much better range. Shooting perpendicular to the wind you get the average range. When you shoot into the wind you range can cut in half or less depending on the strength of the wind. I have had birds that were 25yds from me into a 20mph wind and the shot spreads so far out that you cannot hit them. I shot into a tank, into the teeth of a 20mph wind and at 30ys my pattern was 20yds wide! Therefor, I stick to perpendicular or with the wind shots.
Posted By: kindall

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 04:13 PM

IC
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 07:21 PM

Depends on how the birds are flying.
Close, within 35 yards?
Or are you having to reach out there past 45 yards?

If they're close, I like Improved Cylinder. Out further I go to Modified or Improved Modified.
Also depends on the gauge.
Thursday I shot a limit with my .410 using IC over Mod.
Friday morning the birds were higher so I switched to 20 gauge with Modified over Improved Modified.

High flying white wings I like full choke.
Just depends.

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 08:55 PM

Salty & RealTex,

Excellent points. I'm shooting close (25-30 yes) range with bird flying over a tank. I really notice in the evening, once the wind picked up, the birds were really charging hard with the wind. Imp Cyl or Cyl with some #8's would have worked much better.

F
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SaltyDawg88
I'm still using IC, but might switch here in a week to Mod. I have been knocking birds down at 40yds so I figure a Mod might give me 50yds. One thing to take into consideration as how you are shooting. Shooting with the wind you get much better range. Shooting perpendicular to the wind you get the average range. When you shoot into the wind you range can cut in half or less depending on the strength of the wind. I have had birds that were 25yds from me into a 20mph wind and the shot spreads so far out that you cannot hit them. I shot into a tank, into the teeth of a 20mph wind and at 30ys my pattern was 20yds wide! Therefor, I stick to perpendicular or with the wind shots.

Good post sir
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/07/14 11:17 PM

I usually shoot an improved choke. So far this season I've been having nothing but 40 yard shots so I switched to an improved. I've been hurting them since switching. If they start coming close again, I'll switch back out. Improved is great to 25-30 yards, but if you want to reach out to them or hit the high fliers, go with the modified.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/08/14 12:24 AM

I use modified. I stepped off 2 shots last week. One Thursday afternoon at 78 paces and one at 90 paces Friday. I have 2 witnesses too. grin I like those long shots.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/08/14 02:30 AM

I used IC for the first 2 days of the season. The shots became progressively longer as the birds wizened up. I'll be shooting a modified for the rest of the season anticipating longer shots.
Posted By: ChrisJr

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/08/14 12:19 PM

Full, it's what's on the gun I bought from someone and I can't get it off.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/08/14 12:35 PM

Mod. It's all I use for dove
Posted By: Revoman

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/08/14 09:46 PM

On my O/U's I have Mod/IC or LM/IC. The Benelli's have Mod or LM.
Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Re: What choke are you using on Dove - 09/08/14 09:53 PM

Light Full, the white wings seemed to fly through my Mod patterns so I switched. The first weekend there were a few naked dove, last weekend they weren't so lucky.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum