Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands???

Posted By: Bubba270

Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 03:06 AM

Does anyone duck hunt LBJ? What are the most common seen Ducks in that area? I am thyinkin bout duck huntin my first year out there just because I hunt deer and hogs out there anyway. thanks.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 03:10 AM

One way to find out
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
One way to find out

Yep, I have tried to think of other ways, but that is the only one.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 03:19 AM

Gray ducks, GWT, wigeon, mallards, black jacks, spoonys, cans, sprigs, black heads, and squealers
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 03:28 AM

There used to be a guy on here that hunted it all the time. His name was Jepperson or something like that.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 08:01 AM

Lots of ringnecks.

Even more duck hunters. Avoid weekends and Thanksgiving. Weekdays are good. Christmas is best.
Posted By: Thieve'n_Hawk

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 01:04 PM

last time I checked, water levels were low like Clear Lake, 12+ft.... expect accidental peppering....
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 01:42 PM

Tons of ducks very low amount if hunters. Or was it the other way around. I forgot
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 01:48 PM

Pond jumpers everywhere during deer season.
Posted By: JRR

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 06:03 PM

My nephew hunted out there before the navy and did pretty good. As in any public hunts the further away from roads/parking the better.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 06:07 PM

wear Kevlar!
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 06:35 PM

^^^best advise so far
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 06:47 PM

Avoid all public duck hunting places discussed on the internet, they are all crowded...
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 06:49 PM

There are a couple outstanding duck ponds there. I use to hunt it heavily in 2006 and 2007. We would have to camp out to get out spot the next day or someone would already be there. When I finally got my private places, I quit hunting it. Take the time to scout them and you can figure it out like I did. No one gave me even a morsel of information. Public limits can be done with consistency, but they don't happen by not doing your homework.
Posted By: Bubba270

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 07:46 PM

Ya, ok thanks I just wanted to know if I saw one and desided to pop it what would it most likely be. I honestly dont see what everyone gets all worked up about with bird hunting of any kind. But then i guess its like deer hunting to others. I only got a duck stamp just because I got offered to join a south texas guided duck hunt and all I gotta do is show up with my stamp and gun.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 08:08 PM

LOL

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/07/14 08:55 PM

Lol
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/08/14 02:19 AM

Well....okay.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 03:33 AM

I Kill the [censored] outta ducks wherever I hunt.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bubba270
Ya, ok thanks I just wanted to know if I saw one and desided to pop it what would it most likely be. I honestly dont see what everyone gets all worked up about with bird hunting of any kind. But then i guess its like deer hunting to others. I only got a duck stamp just because I got offered to join a south texas guided duck hunt and all I gotta do is show up with my stamp and gun.

We are actually faking the getting all worked up part. We would much rather sit in a 5 foot by 5 foot box waiting on a protein fed deer to walk up and stick his head in a bucket of feed, that's what gets my blood pumping confused2
Posted By: Familyman

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Gray ducks, GWT, wigeon, mallards, black jacks, spoonys, cans, sprigs, black heads, and squealers

There is even more idiots and [censored]!! smile
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

We are actually faking the getting all worked up part. We would much rather sit in a 5 foot by 5 foot box waiting on a protein fed deer to walk up and stick his head in a bucket of feed, that's what gets my blood pumping confused2

Yeah that! While watching youtube videos on our smart phones laugh

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

Yeah that! While watching youtube videos on our smart phones laugh

lol I didn't even think about that.

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 05:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love sitting on a deer stand. Its just I will never pull a trigger on a big buck again, ever. I can sit there all day and just watch. I don't need to kill them nanymore. The last one was up in College Station across the road from Navasot's ranch. I was near sick to my stomach after shooting such a fine animal. I should have left it for the ranch man's grandchildren. He was the last one.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 06:05 PM

LBJ really needs more parking
Posted By: Bowtech kid

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/09/14 06:11 PM

To many people lot of Dallas duck hunters as one guy told me lol we hunt a bunch of private water around their and smoke the birds tried the grasslands don't like all the people sitting 50 foot apart shooting at the same duck

Re: Duck Huntin LBJ grasslands??? - 09/11/14 04:09 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love sitting on a deer stand. Its just I will never pull a trigger on a big buck again, ever. I can sit there all day and just watch. I don't need to kill them nanymore. The last one was up in College Station across the road from Navasot's ranch. I was near sick to my stomach after shooting such a fine animal. I should have left it for the ranch man's grandchildren. He was the last one.

lol ida shot him also man nothing wrong with that. Nice to see good deer get taken out the area
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum