Texas Hunting Forum

Zombie Dove

Posted By: Limit Extender

Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 05:43 PM

Monday my dad and I were shooting birds and putting them in a sack. He shoots one, goes to put it in the sack, and a bird comes flying out and takes off. I was laughing my azz off. Anyone ever had that happen to em?
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 05:50 PM

I was hunting in Hamilton on a corporate hunt and a jackwagon pulls up in his mini-van, that's right I said mini-van. He opens the hatchback and a white wing flies away, I mean gone.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 06:33 PM

I have seen that happen. The brush in my pasture is really bad so a few times we'll shoot one down and then spend 10min looking for it to find it hiding in a bush.

The worst are the "iron dove" as we call them. Where you'll shoot, get a puff of feathers but the bird keeps flying, try again and get the same result. The "iron dove".
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 06:34 PM

I meant to tell you about a similar experience when you told me this on Monday, but I was too worried about the chocolate chessie biting me and didn't want to loose focus on him!

Several years ago in an undisclosed location North of the metromess a friend and I were on a duck stomping journey. We got into the mallards pretty thick. We ran across a family that seemed really down on their luck. I'm talking no power in their house, fire in the fireplace for heat, no windows in house, plastic over windows to keep cold out, and not sure if the water was turned on. Mom was stay at home with several children, and the dad actually had a job working at the lumber mill. Definitely a family I didn't mind gifting the birds to as they were very, VERY appreciative for the meat. Win, win for us since it keep us from exceeding our possession limit.

Anyway, on our last day of the hunt we went by this family's house to gift them our birds from the morning hunt and make our trek home for the Christmas holidays. We could have keep our birds, but like I said they needed the meat. We didn't. My buddy walks into the house with all the birds on our game straps. The wife tells us to put the birds in the kitchen sink and her husband will clean them when he gets home from work. I'm standing in the living room talking to the wife and playing with the children. I can see into the kitchen. All of a sudden I hear a mad ruckus break out in the kitchen. I look up to see my buddy chasing a mallard duck around the kitchen that's in flight. He karate chops the bird out of mid flight and rings his neck. I can only imagine the look on my face, but the look on his was PRICELESS. I'm not sure the wife ever saw or knew what went on, but I will NEVER forget that as long as a live.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 06:43 PM

I shot a white wing one time as soon as he was hit he began to flutter and then tumble towards the ground I was excited bc he was flying high and then all of a sudden he gathered his composure and flew off as I watched in amazement.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
Saturday my dad and I were shooting birds

You were shooting dove on Saturday, 30 August?
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext

Sorry, meant Monday
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 07:11 PM

I was duck hunting in east Texas a couple years back and we were in wood duck city. You could have killed your limit with a tennis racquet if you wanted. Anyways, I get my three and watch as my dad and cousin still work to get there three. My cousin had one duck on his strap deader than door nail... or so we thought. Next thing we know that ducks trying to high tail it out of there. He got airborne but the strap was holding him back. My cousin had to shoot him again to put him to sleep for good.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 08:47 PM

Had it happen last year. Gf went to put another bird in and a bird took off. I promptly shot it again.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 10:41 PM

Had one come back to life in my vest once. That was fun.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/03/14 10:53 PM

Had one last season come back to life mid fall. First shot folded the bird, I high fived my buddy as he dropped like a rock. At about 5 feet above the water the wings shot open like a glider and by the time I could re-shoulder my gun the bird was high tailing it to the next county. Im now a firm believer in the double tap!
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 01:41 AM

I had one come back to life in my kitchen. The kids thought it was hilarious.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 02:27 AM

Went on a conservation hunt back home in Arkansas...2 buddies and I brought home 46 snows. Great hunt! We drive 25 miles home, pull up in my neighborhood and start unpiling them from the back of the truck for the front yard picture. A snow goose pops out of the pile in the back of the truck, flops around, makes it airborne and about 20 yards down the street...we all chase the darn thing like it's the last bird on earth and when we got to it, it was deader than a door nail. My boys thought it was awesome.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 02:28 AM

I've seen it happen to a buddy. Funny as heck
Posted By: DLFant

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 03:13 AM

yes more than once haha
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 11:00 PM

On a dove hunt with 5 other guys about 7 years ago. We all meet back at the truck at dusk and start dumping out our vests, socking shotguns, and popping cold ones. One guy dumps his vest in the bed of the truck and a whitewing from his pile just took off in full flight. No one had a gun in our hands and we just watched it go. One guy threw his beer can at it. At least he tried.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 11:12 PM

Never had it happen but I'm having fun laughing at/with y'all.

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 11:14 PM

this is the best thread I've seen on here in a while!
Posted By: Flatcreek

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/04/14 11:19 PM

Never..off with their heads!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 03:31 AM

Saw two guys in full camo at Alsups drive up in a Prius in Comanche Monday.............
Originally Posted By: Gdogg
I was hunting in Hamilton on a corporate hunt and a jackwagon pulls up in his mini-van, that's right I said mini-van. He opens the hatchback and a white wing flies away, I mean gone.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 03:41 AM

How about the dove that you think you missed and watch them fly off almost out of sight when they fall out of the sky dead as door nail. It seems like I have at least one do this every year.

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
How about the dove that you think you missed and watch them fly off almost out of sight when they fall out of the sky dead as door nail. It seems like I have at least one do this every year.

Teal are real bad about that too! We call those lung shots.
Posted By: Noojen

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Saw two guys in full camo at Alsups drive up in a Prius in Comanche Monday.............

What's wrong w/ that? I drive a Prius...don't judge a hunter by his ride.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 01:09 PM

I've got another one. We have a back patio and for some reason dove are always crashing into the back windows. It's gotten so bad that the labs sit there and watch for the next victim. One day I hear BAM! I look out the window and there is a white wing laying on the porch completely knocked out. I wait about 5 minutes to see if he will wake up and fly away. The labs are watching everything and waiting to go retrieve him. So after 5 minutes I let my one lab out who promptly retrieves the bird and returns it to me. I set it on top of the smoker on the patio. I checked about 10 minutes later and that bird was gone. He must have needed a little more time to wake up. Imagine the stories he had to tell.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 03:49 PM

Anyone who's ever tried to water swat a black jack has seen this. Those things wear Kevlar!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 04:04 PM

Haha. My brother and I were all loaded up and headed to the camp one day and kept hearing this sound in the floor board. It sounded like a low pitched whistle. We only heard while the jeep (grand cherokee) was moving. When we stopped it was quiet. Well the dog jumps from the backseat over my brother and into the floorboard. All he77 broke loose. A dove flies out of the bag banging into the windows and us with the dang dog hot on his tail. We finally opened a window and he flew out with the dog jumped out right behind him. Hehe. He flies about 30 ft when the dog goes airborn snatches and starts plucking him. We got the bird but dang for a minute I didn't know what was going on.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 04:14 PM

No i shoot to kill rolleyes

lol na I was pullin birds out of my bag one day after a hunt to clean them and one comes flying out... had to run him down and slap it out of the air with my hat... that back when I was fast.. id die if i ran ten ft now
Posted By: TexaShot0341

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 04:20 PM

Had that happen when I was quail hunting in Georgewest. I was putting the birds in a hip pack and when I unzipped it to put another bird in, one of them looked up at me while he was squawking "f you" then took off. I'm pretty sure I bagged him again later though.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext

Sorry, meant Monday

Eurasian hunt. wink roflmao
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/05/14 10:11 PM

Evidently no one drives a mini van on here..........
Originally Posted By: Noojen
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings

What's wrong w/ that? I drive a Prius...don't judge a hunter by his ride.
Posted By: GTS1

Re: Zombie Dove - 09/06/14 12:17 AM

LOL!!! lol35
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum