Texas Hunting Forum

Easy way to stake dove decoys

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 12:26 AM

I just broke some plastic clothes hangers. Works perfect.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 01:08 AM

With mine the clip is backwards compared to yours, and that is better because that can just be stuck in the dirt. Or just stick the tail in the dirt.

Posted By: sling

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 01:27 AM

I just buy the super cheap tent stakes at walmart and bend the end out so it's an L instead of a J, if that makes sense. They're heavy duty for the purpose of dove decoys and real cheap too (not quite as cheap as plastic hangers!).

I do shoot some grey or black spray paint on them...just so they aren't reflective.

I've also just stuck the tail in the dirt...however...I feel like they work better if they're 6-10" off the ground so they cast a good shadow and are just overall easier to see. That could just be my perception again....but that's what I feel like works for me.

At some point this season I'll have lost most of my tent stakes....I'll try the hangers then smile

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 01:32 AM

If I can reach out to just one person, it makes all those broken hangers worth it. grin

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 01:45 AM

The heck with those stakes, just stick them in the ground anyway they go. Now OCD Sling, he is going to sand them stakes, primer, then spray paint, etc.. roflmao
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:21 AM

I cut some rod and bent them into an L. Sanded and painted. bolt
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:33 AM

Dove decoys really??? Talk about OCD, maybe a mojo or two. Ya'll using calls too?
All these dove threads are pretty funny though.
It will be funny to see all the mojos, dove trees, and decoys people set up opening morning and walk around shooting dove wearing there white and blaze orange tshirts.

The dove opener is always tons of fun to watch, looking forward to it. People watching at it's best.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:39 AM

Dove decoys work. Probably don't need them on the opener but don't knock it until you've tried it..

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:47 AM

Hey Mo them dove decoys on the ground work good, they simulate dove feeding. That with a couple mojos, looks like pile of seed on the ground with dove feeding.

This seems to work best where there is no food. Me and my son hunted one time on a private spot, no food, dirt field, several hunters, birds came right to our spread. We had a decent hunt, other shot zero. Birds came right to our spread, the few birds there were. Old man came up to us after the hunt and said "I never believed in them decoys until today".

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
Dove decoys really??? Talk about OCD, maybe a mojo or two. Ya'll using calls too?
It will be funny to see all the mojos, dove trees, and decoys people set up opening morning and walk around shooting dove wearing there white and blaze orange tshirts.

The dove opener is always tons of fun to watch, looking forward to it. People watching at it's best.

Gotta have decoys on the ground. There's no room for birds to land on my Sling Fence.

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:55 AM

Did the same thing only on a large private pond stuck 3 high in the tree as I could reach and put 5 on the ground clipped to sticks I stuck close to the water. Had birds come straight to me.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:56 AM

I am not saying they don't work, just normally not necessary.
Guy, BTW that place we talked about has a lot of birds if you ever need a place. Should be a good season.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 03:02 AM

Ya'll using calls too?

Those are useless, fun for kids. My son used to love using his call, and it sounded cool in the quite field (Frisco not a good place for it grin) . It does not hurt to use the call. Seems like someone told me the call they make is momma calling her young.
Posted By: DLFant

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 03:48 AM

cool

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 04:16 AM

Mo that's like saying decoys are not necessary for duck hunting. You can take passing shots, or decoy them. That's half the fun decoying the birds, making them land where they were not planning on landing.

One of the best dove hunts me and my son had, we set up in a field, all dirt plowed field no food. no other hunters in the field, dove flew over, saw our mojos, they would turn, cup up like ducks I kid you not, and come in from way up high. We had a 2 man limit in no time. It was the coolest hunt ever .

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

Mo that's like saying decoys are not necessary for duck hunting. You can take passing shots, or decoy them. That's half the fun decoying the birds, making them land where they were not planning on landing.

One of the best dove hunts me and my son had, we set up in a field, all dirt plowed field no food. no other hunters in the field, dove flew over, saw our mojos, they would turn, cup up like ducks I kid you not, and come in from way up high. We had a 2 man limit in no time. It was the coolest hunt ever .

Yeah, I haven't been doing this long, but I'm 100% sure that I'd have shot less birds without my decoys and fences. It still pays to scout and put them in a spot that dove would normally go. After watching how they work for a few years I'm sold on good sized spreads, particularly when the birds get sparse and a weary of cover. Dove seem to love nothing more than move dove...it's just flips the paranoia switch firmly to the "off" position if they see a group of feeding birds.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 12:53 PM

The decoys work, they work well enough that I had a hawk attack my mojo last year. Pretty cool to watch.
Posted By: drake_taker

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:03 PM

Go the inexpensive route. Go to Lowes and to the section with chainlink fence. Get the little aluminum wires that are used to hold the fence to the poles. They come in a package of 30 for about $4.

Lowes 6 inch wire stakes.

Posted By: switchln

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:32 PM

This. The 2 worst things that have happened to dove hunting: decoys and allowing hunting before noon. Dove hunting is about minimal work. Drink beer, shoot, watch your dog get birds. Those simple facets of dove hunting are what make it special. It's like people are going out of their way to make dove hunting difficult. If you want that, go duck hunting, lol.

Note: I like duck hunting too, it's just a lot of work.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: switchln

This. The 2 worst things that have happened to dove hunting: decoys and allowing hunting before noon. Dove hunting is about minimal work. Drink beer, shoot, watch your dog get birds. Those simple facets of dove hunting are what make it special. It's like people are going out of their way to make dove hunting difficult. If you want that, go duck hunting, lol.

So because someone wants to put more effort into a hunt than you, you think its the worst thing to happen to hunting?

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 02:43 PM

You're right. Decoys are stupid. A group of guys drinking beer all day with loaded shotguns is a much better idea.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 03:22 PM

cheers cheers cheers
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 03:28 PM

agree...to me its a social sport...I love shooting doves but unless its a party with some buddies, its not nearly as fun.

I have just gotten to the point where I'm not gonna wake up at 6 am to go shoot a few birds...would much rather wait till the evening shoot.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 03:35 PM

That's basically the 2 kinds of dove hunters. The ones that treat it as a social event, a lot of times just hunting the opener and a few other days, and the ones that treat it like any other hunting season. Personally, it's what I have the best access to, so I put the most emphasis on it, and that means learning as much as I can about the birds and what they do in my area, grooming my property in a way that makes the hunting better, and using whatever tools I can to get the birds into shooting range. I probably do treat it like waterfowlers treat ducks in a lot of ways....but no dove calls...that's just silly!
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: drake_taker
Go the inexpensive route. Go to Lowes and to the section with chainlink fence. Get the little aluminum wires that are used to hold the fence to the poles. They come in a package of 30 for about $4.

Lowes 6 inch wire stakes.

Come to my place and get these, I sell them a 100 to a pack for $6.00.
Posted By: TXRanger

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 07:26 PM

Those look like they will work well. Unfortunately where I am at, we are in a drought. Sometimes I take a long a hammer and some welding rods bent in half and get them in the ground that way. By the way it is raining here in Young County right now so maybe the ground will soften up and some of the ponds will catch some rain.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 08:07 PM

I use the little "wickets" used to pin down landscape cloth. Clip the dove to it, shove in the ground. A combination of about 20-30 "feeders" and two or three motor-mojos work great.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 08:54 PM

Welding rods are a really good idea.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 11:37 PM

Mojos and Dove deocys work, but be very careful setting them up after sunrise if you wear sunflower camo.

I wanted to put out my fake sock tank last year.

But could not find room for it between all the mojo decoys in the field

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/29/14 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

You're right. Decoys are stupid. A group of guys drinking beer all day with loaded shotguns is a much better idea.

rofl
Posted By: MBraun

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/30/14 03:12 PM

I like the fence. The hangers are cool too. Doubt my wife would approve though
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys - 08/31/14 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: MBraun
I like the fence. The hangers are cool too. Doubt my wife would approve though

Ask your wife to save the broken ones, they usually break at the U hanger part. You can still get 2 good stakes out of what's left. I never thought to use them for decoys, but I cut the broken hangers up for drying racks. My wife throws a few on the workbench almost every month.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum