Texas Hunting Forum

Nooner ranch dove hunting

Posted By: Diverdown

Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 03:45 PM

I am dove hunting the nooner ranch the end of September and was wondering if anyone had ever been and how the experience was. Thanks
Posted By: charrisonLSON

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 04:01 PM

Ridiculous!

It looked like some of those places in Argentina and Mexico.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 04:05 PM

The last time I tried to reserve a spot they told me they only did groups. Have they changed back to letting individuals buy a spot?
Regardless, the hunting was great!!! Good luck!
Posted By: Jobst

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 04:08 PM

Thier videos look good on youtube. A lot of birds.
Posted By: bradshaw02

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 05:41 PM

I have hunted it for the past five or so years. There are always a ton of birds. Depending on the field there will be a lot of people too. There are so many birds sometimes it is hard to pick out and shoot one bird rather than just at the flock.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bradshaw02
I have hunted it for the past five or so years. There are always a ton of birds. Depending on the field there will be a lot of people too. There are so many birds sometimes it is hard to pick out and shoot one bird rather than just at the flock.

I see you are in my neck of the woods. You could come by and pick me up on your next trip out there. up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 09:56 PM

I have hunted the Paloma pachanga (neighbor) to the nooner pavilion the past 3 years

First and third year it was a bust, only a few birds taken

2nd year it was crazy, if you could shoot half decent you had a limit in 45 min

Really you didn't even need a gun because the wounded birds would fly into the mesquite trees in the parking lot and die, you could pick up the recently dead ones and not waste money on shells
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/28/14 10:33 PM

It is the dove hunting capital of the US. I collected dove there for an undergrad project and there were so many that you could have got your limit with a dip net.
Posted By: DLFant

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/29/14 03:51 AM

Where is Nooner?
Posted By: J Mac

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/29/14 04:50 AM

Hunted there last season and it was great. They also cook some delicious steaks post hunt. Going again this season.

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/29/14 01:16 PM

Oh boy!! I am excited

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 08/29/14 01:49 PM

Nooner is in Hondo tx

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 09/05/14 12:48 PM

How are the birds this year?
Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Nooner ranch dove hunting - 09/10/14 02:08 AM

I hunted the Nooner pavilion this past Monday. It was my first time there and the seasoned guys said it was a "down" day. The guys on the NW corner had steady 20-bird clouds going over. I was in a weak wrinkle along the west edge (directly east of the pavilion/tank dam) so my shots were very high passing shots. Got 8 birds. Could have limited out if I was a much much better shot. And yes, the steaks are worth the drive....
Tip of the day... Be among the first ones to leave the pavilion, go east from the pavilion, turn north (left) just past the tank dam, go north to the end of the tree line where you'll park. This puts you in the NW corner of the field. Claim a hay bale there in the corner and get ready to blast.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum