Texas Hunting Forum

public hunting around galveston

Posted By: Moe #2

public hunting around galveston - 08/22/14 01:32 AM

I'm looking for personal insite. Or anyone I can tag along with. I hunt public around north texas. I have never hunted around the coast. My wife decided that galveston would be a good place to go for thanksgiving. Trouble is I like to hunt that weekend. I told her that as long as I could find a decent place to hunt ducks around there I was game. I dont want a open discussion about specific areas. If anyone could pm.me with some info on there experience duck hunting galveston I would appreciate it. I live 5 hours from there and I'm nerver going to drive that far for a normal hunt.I do just fine hunting within an hour and a half every weekend. Any place that I'm showed or told about want see me there again unless wife decides she wants to go again next year. I have a boat ( express 1754 40 hp tiller ) and I'm happy to have someone come along with me. Again never been out in saltwater. Side question. Will that hurt my motor? Thanks always good to be able to post questions here.

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 01:50 AM

TTT. Getting close so I'll check again. Any insight?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 02:34 AM

Miles of stuff to hunt.

Make sure you rinse the motor well after use and you will be fine.

Scout it... Hunt it

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 03:26 AM

Is there any maps of legal hunting areas that can be found online? Scouting is not a problem. I just like to know the area I'm looking at can be legally hunted. Also are the tides an issue I would hate to park the the boat at 3:00 only to find it set on mud when I finish hunting. Some of this maybe common knowledge for some but I know nothing about saltwater. If someone wants to trade I'll take them out in North texas if they can help out with a Galveston trip.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 03:33 AM

Yes, any time you're hunting the coast tides are an issue. Just throwing this out there, why don't you save the trouble and extra fuel towing the boat and use the $$$ to hire either a guide or one of those airboat taxi's that take you to the decoyed blinds in the area? Seems like that would be kind of good to do on a quick trip like the one you're taking.

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 04:01 AM

That thought did cross my mind. I even thought about a guide for goose to. Any suggestions? I normally can duck hunt on my own. Don't have the stuff for geese. If I pay to hunt for me it's best to do something I can't do on my own.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 04:19 AM

Since you're on here asking about the area, doesn't that mean it is sort of something you "can't do on your own"? Not taking a shot at your abilities, just saying that it seems more convenient. I am a solo DIY Public hunter too, but if I can save a hundred and fifty bucks (or more) on gas and save myself the trouble of figuring out tides and hunting areas for a two or three day weekend trip- I figure that would be better than going there blind and having to scout for a day or two instead of just showing up and hunting right away. Lots of experienced hunters use guides and it's not a bad thing to do when you don't know an area- especially on a coast hunt. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 04:48 AM

Guide wise some locals have steered me towards Circle H Outfitters. Ill be down end of this week and part of next and am going to try and hook up with them.
Posted By: John Cocktosen

Re: public hunting around galveston - 11/19/14 07:13 PM

Hunting the marsh around Galveston can be tricky - lots of deep mud that will almost swallow you. I'd hire a guide and let him show you the ropes so you can diy next time. Lots of good guides (and good hunting) in Galveston, Boliver, and E. Matagorda for $150-$200. Google is your friend. Good luck and post a report.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum