Texas Hunting Forum

Duck hunting Kayak

Posted By: Zach Attack!

Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 05:23 PM

I'm getting my kayak ready for duck season, I just finished the paint job! But was really thinking about mounting a trolling motor on it. So my question is what is the best way to do this? I have an 8 ft pelican sit in, if that helps. I think the hardest part would be mounting the battery, and dealing with that weight. So I need some advice! If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear it! thanks.
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 08:06 PM

If you put a trolling motor on it you have to put Tx stickers.paddle that sucker
Posted By: oilag

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 08:10 PM

too small for a trolling motor IMO. paddle it
Posted By: drakedoctor

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 08:16 PM

Paddle will be your best bet! Too small for a trolling motor.
Posted By: Beretta

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 08:57 PM

I ratchet strapped a 2x4 on the back and put the battery between my legs, very sketchy but it worked, and yes you will need to register it with TPWD if you use a trolling motor
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 09:09 PM

I built a trolling motor mount for mine. Get a stout "milk crate" while will fit behind you. I fastened mine to the kayak with stainless turn buckles. Then, bolt a piece of PT 2x4 to milk crate at the appropriate height for your trolling motor. My motor is off to the right side. Strap the battery down into the crate in case you flip.

Works great. My 30lb-thrust motor will really get the 'yak moving.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: oilag

Too small. Don't do it. You will need that wieght decoys and shells. 8 ft is kinda short anyways.. So be carefull. And have fun. Keep that thing in calm water and get to where the walk in hunters cannot!
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub
Originally Posted By: oilag

Too small. Don't do it. You will need that wieght decoys and shells. 8 ft is kinda short anyways.. So be carefull. And have fun. Keep that thing in calm water and get to where the walk in hunters cannot!

I'd listen to Kdub!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/12/14 11:22 PM

I wouldn't. I have a Hobie Sport and it works fine but the registration, the excess weight and the fact that you can paddle close to floating ducks but not troll to them makes it worth NOT having a trolling motor on it.
Posted By: sneakypete1979

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/13/14 05:12 AM

Check out texasfishingforum.com. Under the tube section there is a thread about 2man boats.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/16/14 06:05 PM

Did you ever finish the paint job?
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/17/14 01:10 AM

don't wear waders if you cross deep water.....
Posted By: whiteowl

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/17/14 01:25 AM

I also say DON'T wear waders. I had someone tell me that they would actually help you float. I am not trying that one.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Duck hunting Kayak - 08/17/14 03:11 AM

Water in your waders is not heavier that the water outside your waders. I would still wear a wader belt just to stay dry in case you did fall in. Better advice would be always wear a life preserver
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum