Texas Hunting Forum

20ga O/U choke choices for doves

Posted By: Buzzsaw

20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/02/14 12:38 PM

New to shooting an Over/Under. Bought a Browning 725 Sporting. for general dove shooting, not over a pond, what chokes do you O/U shooters use? Mine is a 20 gauge. Came with 6 chokes.

Taking my daughter this year, so I will be sitting next to her, backing her up the first morning till she gets used to it. So maybe a longer shot??

With my SBE II, always just kept the IC in it.
Posted By: RayB

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/02/14 02:01 PM

Two trains of thought I/C-Mod. but I'm wondering if Cyl- I/C wouldn't be a better choice. Chokes are pretty darn good these days. I would pattern the shot gun to see shot density with each combination.
Congrats on the stack barrel BTW I love mine.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/02/14 02:15 PM

In my Over Under I always liked I/C and Mod.

If not an over under I just shoot a Mod.

There's a lot of pellets in those dove loads and it doesn't take much at all to bring a dove down.

Heck, sometimes I think they just die because they're scared.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/02/14 02:27 PM

depends. A lot of guys like Mod/Full

I always shot I/C and Mod. in both my O/U and my SxS

Personally, I think more guys overchoke than underchoke

I killed a dove last year at 60 yards with a mod. choke and a 1 oz. 12 gauge load.

Choke is one of the most common things people over think. I used a skeet choke with a heavy dove load in 12 gauge for a number of years and had no problems
Posted By: little nate

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/02/14 04:07 PM

i shoot mod and full out of my stoeger but going to change it from mod and full to mod and i/c
Posted By: jetdad

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/02/14 08:15 PM

Opening day I usually went with a more open choke choice. The shots are generally closer. After that I/C- mod. It's all about personal preference, you'll figure out what works best for you. Circumstances dictate some. On opening day if there are a lot of birds you may not have to take the longer shots. Fewer birds, you might stretch how long of a shot you'll take. Just have fun!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/03/14 03:27 AM

Early in the season I shoot I/C and Mod. Later in the season I'll switch to mod and full.

But a lot depends on the birds, so be prepared to change during the hunt. Good luck and have fun
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/03/14 05:13 PM

Good stuff guys Thanks !!
Posted By: udamdan

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/03/14 08:23 PM

I/C and Mod
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: 20ga O/U choke choices for doves - 08/04/14 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Mine is a 20 gauge. Came with 6 chokes.
Take them all and adjust if you're not hitting consistently.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum