Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Ammo this Year

Posted By: Humannpower

Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 09:55 PM

So what will you be using to take out Dove this year? I used the Rio 12 gauge 7.5 shot shells and had pretty good success for my first time. This year I'm gonna try the Remington 12 gauge heavy dove load 8 shot shells and see if I can do better with them.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 10:05 PM

I like the cheapo Winchesters or federals that I buy at Wal-Mart, but it doesn't matter what shell you shoot at em', or how much you pay. Put your shot pattern all around the birds and they'll go down... a better question is what marinade will you be using!? up

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 10:20 PM

I know I'm for sure going to do the bacon wrapped and grilled dove breasts again this year.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 10:48 PM

7.5 or 8s will sure do the trick. I sure like shooting sixes at them though.

On another thought... mmmmmmmmm bacon... jalepeno... dove.... mmmmm

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 10:49 PM

you want to try something different, put them in a casserole or make jerky out of them (use the whole breast).
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter
I like the cheapo Winchesters or federals that I buy at Wal-Mart, but it doesn't matter what shell you shoot at em', or how much you pay. Put your shot pattern all around the birds and they'll go down... a better question is what marinade will you be using!? up

+2 on this and so with ducks
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 10:54 PM

I'll be using some of these (the ones on the left and on the right):

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 11:23 PM

bow and arrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxQPOsDgPO4
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 11:23 PM

I'll be shooting a combination of Rios and whatever I find in the doors of my truck. I would rethink using the heavy doves though, a lot of people had problems with them last year. Like a LOT

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 11:27 PM

I've been shooting a little .410 I picked up this year out at the skeet range.
Shot two rounds last Friday: 25 & 24.

think I will try it on a few for grins.

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/28/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
I'll be shooting a combination of Rios and whatever I find in the doors of my truck. I would rethink using the heavy doves though, a lot of people had problems with them last year. Like a LOT

What kind of issues? Misfires, feed failures?
Posted By: Centurion

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Humannpower

The plastic and the brass were separating.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 01:22 AM

I like 8's, never shot 7's but I like the idea of some 7's with a IC choke.

Biggest trouble I have is getting my brother to keep the cream cheese in the fridge when we make the doves diablo...

I am a jalapeno, dove, bacon wrap kind of man but he likes the cream cheese in there.

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 01:26 AM

cream cheese does sound nice

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: LTMFH

Think that may have been a bad batch cause I went home and went through the two boxes I picked up and the brass and plastic were held together pretty good.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 03:24 PM

Think that may have been a bad batch cause I went home and went through the two boxes I picked up and the brass and plastic were held together pretty good.

Try gripping it with your teeth on the brass and pulling on the plastic, they come right off.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 03:34 PM

If it was a bad batch then it was a large one, hopefully they'll chime in but I remember hearing the same thing from 5 or 6 guys on here

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 03:37 PM

Think I might head to alpine this weekend and shoot some clays with the ammo I got and see how they do.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 04:12 PM

I like the cheapo winchesters myself, #7.5 in 16 gauge or #8 in 20 gauge.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 05:41 PM

My reloads, 1 oz of #8
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 06:37 PM

I'm gonna ride out a bunch of left overs. Still have a bunch of 1-1/4 oz Rio TX loads I picked up for $5 a box last year, 1-1/8 oz Remi and Win, and some 1 oz Win for the OU.

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/29/14 06:42 PM

I've got over a case of 7.5s and twice that in 6's, plus two extra bags of #6 shot I need to load up still. 1300 FPS.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/30/14 05:17 AM

Happened to me on the Remington heavy dove's!
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/30/14 04:12 PM

I use 8 shot federal or remington value pack from wal mart........It's almost June, COME ON SEPT!!!!!!
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 05/30/14 08:55 PM

We have a whole bunch or Rio number 8s from my daughter's clay shooting. Will probably use them.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/02/14 08:14 PM

Whatever is cheap. Gunna be shooting a lot of estate 7 1/2s
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/07/14 08:54 PM

25 and 24 with a .410 is impressive. Which station did you miss?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/07/14 09:38 PM

When I buy lead, I buy for both dove and clay. I buy what ever is cheapest, but I buy 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads. 1oz load I used for clay, 1 1/8 oz I like to use for dove, or if I'm shooting clay with some guys I'll shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. But I have no issue shooting 1 oz load on dove or any time, one of my funniest dove hunts ever me and my son shot limits of dove in about 15 minutes with 1 oz loads, knocked'm down like flies... I never see smaller loads than 1 oz.

Pellet size, I always buy up #8, normally they are the first to go and many times all that is on the shelf is 7 1/2. Clay, why would you ever want to shoot 7 1/2? #8 is better, more pellets, and one pellet will break clay? Dove more of an argument for 7 1/2, so us them here but I like #8 better for dove as well.
Posted By: Black Ice

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/08/14 04:21 AM

7.5 what ever Walmart has.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/08/14 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
When I buy lead, I buy for both dove and clay. I buy what ever is cheapest, but I buy 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads. 1oz load I used for clay, 1 1/8 oz I like to use for dove, or if I'm shooting clay with some guys I'll shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. But I have no issue shooting 1 oz load on dove or any time, one of my funniest dove hunts ever me and my son shot limits of dove in about 15 minutes with 1 oz loads, knocked'm down like flies... I never see smaller loads than 1 oz.

Pellet size, I always buy up #8, normally they are the first to go and many times all that is on the shelf is 7 1/2. Clay, why would you ever want to shoot 7 1/2? #8 is better, more pellets, and one pellet will break clay? Dove more of an argument for 7 1/2, so us them here but I like #8 better for dove as well.

Handicap trap (27 yd line) and longer range dove call for 7.5 shot.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/08/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Dove more of an argument for 7 1/2, so us them here but I like #8 better for dove as well.

You are talking about clay, right? Are you saying #8 would not break the clay? Or are you saying too long of a shot for #8, 7 1/2 has longer range, that makes sense.

I shoot IC all the time as well, I'm a short shot kinda guy. Long shots with sporting clay I do not do well on, and long shots hunting I do not take. 45 yards max.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/08/14 06:44 PM

I had issues with the Remington Hvy Dove last year. After being fired the brass would swell and could not eject spent shell and i have a pump action shotgun. Did not have any fall apart on me. I went to the Rio's and had no problems after that. Plus they are a cleaner shooting shell than remington in my opinion. Not every shell got stuck but about 1 out of every 5 did and thats probably being kind. Got 8 boxes of them shells left from n last year
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/09/14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Dove more of an argument for 7 1/2, so us them here but I like #8 better for dove as well.

You are talking about clay, right? Are you saying #8 would not break the clay? Or are you saying too long of a shot for #8, 7 1/2 has longer range, that makes sense.

I shoot IC all the time as well, I'm a short shot kinda guy. Long shots with sporting clay I do not do well on, and long shots hunting I do not take. 45 yards max.

8's slow faster and drop more than 7.5 it gets noticeable at 42 yds. At trap most people break the target at 15 to 18 yards in front of the trap house add in the handicap distance and your at 42 to 45 yards. Try some 7.5's at on your longer range sporting clays targets you might add a few to your score. The drop is more problematic than the loss of energy.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/12/14 11:45 PM

Stay w rios. Best shot for money. 20ga 1oz are same load as high brass that costs 2x as much. They go on sale for 55 flat jump all over them
Posted By: taylormade820

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/14/14 08:53 PM

i used cheap estates for the first time last year.. no problems at all

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/15/14 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
25 and 24 with a .410 is impressive. Which station did you miss?

low house, 5.

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/20/14 02:54 PM

Well I went to Alpine yesterday and tried out the 12 Gauge Remingtion Heavy dove load and never had a problem with the shells seperating or anything. Only issues I had was a feeding issue where the shell would hit the bottom of the chamber and not go in and I believe it was the fault of the shogun. So it looks like it had to have been a large bad batch of shells last year.
Posted By: cynikaltracker

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/20/14 03:08 PM

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/federal-lead-top-gun-target-load-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-8-oz.html

Rogers is having a sale right now. What do yall think? Good deal for some dove hunting?

Re: Dove Ammo this Year - 06/20/14 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: cynikaltracker
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/federal-lead-top-gun-target-load-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-8-oz.html

Rogers is having a sale right now. What do yall think? Good deal for some dove hunting?

Rio and Remington are cheaper. Rio's are at five something a box and the remington is around $6.50
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum