Texas Hunting Forum

Moving to Houston!

Posted By: TXGH

Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 11:20 AM

Moving from the DFW area to the Houston area. This season will be looking to make hunting connections.

Looking forward to a great season in South Texas!!
Posted By: RayB

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 11:23 AM

Moving to Houston??
I am so sorry! frown
I moved away in 1988 and have been a happy camper ever since
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 11:53 AM

I'd rather (and do) live near Houston than dallas.
Posted By: Schuetzen

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 12:04 PM

There is a lot of very good water fowl hunting near there. That said from someone who lived there most of his life (I'm 71) one of the best sights I have ever seen is the Houston city limits sign in my rear view mirror.
Posted By: txbowhunt7

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 12:28 PM

The only thing keeping me in Houston is the fire dept. I live 30 minutes out of Houston and if I could afford it, I'd move 2 hours away. Love my job, hate this city.

Definitely some good hunting close by though
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 01:04 PM

More birds then in north Texas but could not deal with Houstonian humidity and traffic

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 01:19 PM

Ivan it's not the houstonian humidity, it's the Houstonian stupidity
Posted By: kindall

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 01:43 PM

Just because your going to be working in Houston, does not mean you have to live there.
You should consider living in one of the smaller towns close by, and doing a little commuting. Look at the schools(even if your don't have kid), and crime rates in any area you consider.

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 02:04 PM

Very true. Houston area in general just sucks. Katy and sugar land are nice areas. Crimes are popping up everywhere though. People are driving out from the city and robbing the nicer neighborhoods where they have a less chance to be identified. Almost all the robberies that have occurred in my neighborhood have been guys driving in from the SW side.

Anyways, to the OP, hit me up come season. We can learn you a few things!
Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 06:03 PM

Yep. Work in Houston but live in Cypress, Katy, Sugarland, The Woodlands, etc.

Good hunting down toward Bay City, Garwood, and El Campo. A bit of a drive (1.5 hours for me in Cypress) but its nice to get out of the city.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 06:52 PM

good fishing down that way also
Posted By: Hunt Texas

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 07:29 PM

X2 on moving to a suburb/smaller town outside of the city. Grew up in Sugarland and now live in Tomball. Plenty of nice areas on the NW side (Tomball, Cypress, etc.) and near The Woodlands (which is the #1 master planned community in the USA).

BTW txbowhunt7...lived in Plano for 2 years and there must be a lot of Houstonisns there, as i experienced no shortage of stupidity in that town either. I think it's everywhere!
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 07:50 PM

I lived in garden oaks, just north of the heights, for almost two years, and I had no complaints, people like to dog on Houston.

Inshore and surf fishing in a blast, and ducks are pretty good. Geese is the real deal. Dove hunting was always hit or miss for me, and didn't try to find a deer place when I was down there.
Posted By: teal.slayer14

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 09:14 PM

I'll be moving down to Houston as well from Ft. Worth come June.

We are looking at the Katy area or Fort Bend.

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 09:54 PM

That's my back yard. I'm in Richmond

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/21/14 09:58 PM

I really liked Rosenberg
Posted By: trash2

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/22/14 02:18 AM

If you have good northern public info I could swap some out
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/22/14 08:54 PM

Yeah I will be moving to the Sugar land area not downtown. I will work in Stafford
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 01:50 PM

I think I am uniuely qualified to speak up on the eternal Houston vs Dallas debte. I have spent roughly half of my life in each.

First of all living in ANY major city is a major butt kicking. That is why I live in Daingerfield!

If you HAVE to live in major city Houston is in my opinion way better than Dallas and it is not even close.

Traffic - If anyone from Dallas thinks that Traffic is so much better in Dallas they are seriously delusional. I would say it is even worse. What is funny is that this is the first thing out of Dallasites mouths. I have even heard folks from Dallas say this that have just moved from Kansas City and have never even been in Houston. Which brings me to my second point...

Houston is a Texas city. Sorry Dallas but from BBQ to finding Beer Dallas is MUCH more like Kansas City than a city in Texas You go to any suburban neighborhood and see just how many households are populated by non native Texans. The number will suprise you.

Hunting and Fishing - Not even close. Houston is much more conducive to a far wider variety of the best Hunting and Fishing in Texas. I am NOT saying that there is not good hunting and fishing close to Dallas there is no doubt about it, but there is way better access to just as good if not better and way more of it from Houston.

Humidity - The first thing out of indignanat Dallasites mouths about Houston AFTER traffic is humidity. Give me a freaking break, like it is that much better in Dallas? Please. Yeah that 90% humidity is SUCH a break from the 95-100% in Houston. Yes the humidity is so much better in Dallas when it is 105in the shade at Preston and LBJ. Right.........
Anyhwere in Texas outside of Marfa or Alpine is not pleasant from July-Septembe get over yourself Dallas. Besides the humidity is not that bad at all while sitting in an open door ice house in Houston. Just TRY and find one of those in Dallas!!!

Cost of living in Dallas is more expensive in Dallas, from insurance to gas.
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 02:45 PM

Of course all of that is just my opinion. Everyone has one. I am not anymore right than anyone else is wrong.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 02:47 PM

Yassir, I haven't lived in Houston but I agree with everything you said about Dallas laugh Dallas is any given city in the midwest, multiplied to 6-10 million people (depending on who's counting)

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 03:30 PM

I'm just jealous of y'all's winters. Huge difference at least this past winter. That area was getting lots of snow and I saw an 1/8 inch of ice on 1 hunt and of course it was gone come sunup

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Houston is a Texas city. Sorry Dallas but from BBQ to finding Beer Dallas is MUCH more like Kansas City than a city in Texas You go to any suburban neighborhood and see just how many households are populated by non native Texans. The number will suprise you.

Hunting and Fishing - Not even close. Houston is much more conducive to a far wider variety of the best Hunting and Fishing in Texas. I am NOT saying that there is not good hunting and fishing close to Dallas there is no doubt about it, but there is way better access to just as good if not better and way more of it from Houston.

Nailed it. It barely broke 100 last summer down there. Was it hot? Heck yes, but I'll take humidity over 110.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
Yeah I will be moving to the Sugar land area not downtown. I will work in Stafford

OH MAN! If you're working in Stafford, you could move out Richmond or Rosenberg way. Those were nice little towns back in the day when we lived there.

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

OH MAN! If you're working in Stafford, you could move out Richmond or Rosenberg way. Those were nice little towns back in the day when we lived there.

X2, Rosenburg isn't far from sugarland, but night and day different of a place.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/23/14 05:02 PM

Houston, Dallas, sure there are pros and cons to each but all big cities suck.

Sure I have 900 restaurants, 3 Academy stores, Cablela's, anything I could possibly want all within 15 minutes of where I live. But it isn't worth it to me. If I wasn't tied to the city for my work I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Funny how all my ranching and farming forefathers wanted better for their kids so they sent them to the city. All I want is to go back!

The grass is always greener...
Posted By: BigHenFx4

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/26/14 07:42 PM

If you're working in Stafford, check out Riverstone. There's some nice houses, but as many in the sugar land area know it's quite diverse.
Posted By: KillzoneFlashlights

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/26/14 08:39 PM

I love in Kingwood/humble area and it's pretty nice. Would rather live in the woodlands but stuck in our house for now. I drive to Pearland everyday for work.. Love that traffic! The just open up Killens barbq in Pearland.. Best barbq I have had in a long time!!
Posted By: mcraig

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/27/14 04:38 PM

2 things about Houston: avoid 290 like the plague and live close to work, if possible. If you can't, try to live in the place that has you going opposite way of traffic. Seriously, you'll have a 30 min commute no matter what. No need to make it an hour and a half. That being said, I live IN Houston and I love it.
Posted By: KCR

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/27/14 05:28 PM

I live down in Montrose with my wife and 7 month old son. It is a nice community but you need to keep an eye open because there is always a possibility for crime but I'm typically packing so I don't worry too much. I chose to live in this area when I moved back from London in 2012 because my office is located in downtown on Main street. My commute is awesome at about 10 mins and I avoid the highways except weekends when we head to the ranch in Rocksprings. That is a five hour drive but with the HOV lane to get out of town I don't have much delay even when leaving during rush hour. I don't hunt much in the area so can't tell you much there though I know the duck and geese hunting must be good from what I hear from friends. I have had good success with dove hunting in the area. I still prefer sitting on a cooler of beer at my pond in Rocksprings. Bottom line we like living here in Houston, but we are eager for the day when we can leave for a simpler and slower pace.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/27/14 05:39 PM

Montrose used to be a rainbow friendly area back in the 80's.
Posted By: Reeder

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/27/14 07:20 PM

Moved to Dallas from Houston 5-6 years ago and one of the better decisions I've made. Hate going back to that city. Feels like entering a 3rd world country every time I go there. All my family and all my wife's family live there and all want to get out. Yes pros and cons to each city, but my preference is Dallas by a long shot.

Would prefer to live in the mountains with lots of land, but don't have the cash and there aren't many valuation analyst jobs in the mountains.
Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/28/14 02:59 PM

I moved to Houston back in 2008. I like it here. It did take some time to get used to the traffic and all that goes with a big city, but its not bad at all. Dallas does my far have worse traffic, as their roads aren't near big enough. At least highways in Houston are mostly 4 lanes or more (on one side).

As far as 3rd world, I'll agree for the east and south sides. Basically because its all industry and been around forever. The north and west sides are nice because they are new and basically all offices and homes.

I'll give Dallas the advantage for freshwater fishing but that's about it. Houston wins on saltwater, hunting, and we do have some freshwater lakes but they are all 1.5 hours away from town.
Posted By: redfred

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/30/14 02:33 AM

I grew up in Columbus (about 75 miles west of Houston), but lived in Wichita Falls and Ft Worth about 20 years each. A couple of years ago, my company transferred me to Houston and now I live in La Porte. I've got a 30 minute commute to work, and an 8 block walk to the beach. I buy a Public Hunting Lands license every year and hunt in the Sam Houston National Forest. This year, I'll also be on a private lease for the first time. There is great duck and goose hunting all around the area, and hogs and deer in every direction. I had to re-learn salt water fishing (since I haven't lived near the ocean for 40 years)and now all I need to improve my hunting and fishing skills is time. Our business is good, and I work about 50-60 hours a week and then spend a lot of time driving my wife and mother-in-law all over the place. Oh, well, I'm only a few years away from retirement, so maybe I can catch up then.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Moving to Houston! - 05/30/14 04:12 AM

Let me know if you need a realtor.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Moving to Houston! - 06/10/14 04:48 PM

I moved to Sugar Land area from the midwest about 2 years ago. Will send you a PM. Always looking for hunting buddies as right now I have known and slowly getting to know the area.

By the way the fishing options are great down here because you have both fresh and saltwater.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Moving to Houston! - 06/10/14 04:49 PM

Shotgun and a fishing pole will treat you the best down there
Posted By: west-tex

Re: Moving to Houston! - 06/10/14 05:41 PM

No one really lives in Houston I live in Pearland and work in Stafford. yall pm me we can meet up and have a beer or two.
Posted By: Crawfish

Re: Moving to Houston! - 06/10/14 06:29 PM

I am looking for friend to go hunting with me. I am living in Sugar land. I am a new member of this forum. laugh
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum