Texas Hunting Forum

Gaddie decoys

Posted By: JoSkeeter

Gaddie decoys - 04/09/14 07:56 PM

Who makes the best looking Gaddie decoys? Every one I have seen usually has a yellow looking spot on it's back and I can't recall seeing any gadwall with a yellow spot.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/09/14 08:50 PM

Dave Speer!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/09/14 09:06 PM

I like the GHG gaddies. Look good enough and won't break the bank.

Posted By: duckman10

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 12:12 AM

I've gotta say GHG also, there customer service sucks a big toe buy they have the best gaddy decoys for sure.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 01:37 AM

I like my GHG Pro-Grade Gaddies.

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 01:56 AM

I like the look of those so I'll look into that. What do you guys think about feather lites?
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 08:00 AM

I second the GHG Pro-grades. I cant tell you how many complements I got on mine throughout the season.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: JoSkeeter
I like the look of those so I'll look into that. What do you guys think about feather lites?

I bought those about 5 years ago and did not like them. And wouldn't waste my money on nice gaddies, they will decoy just as good to cheap mallard hens. I would put that money into nice mallards and pintails instead.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TOMCAT21
I like my GHG Pro-Grade Gaddies.

Really pleased with mine as well.

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

I bought those about 5 years ago and did not like them. And wouldn't waste my money on nice gaddies, they will decoy just as good to cheap mallard hens. I would put that money into nice mallards and pintails instead.

I have a mind like a steal trap and you have been trapped Sir. I seem to recal you reffering to me as Cheap for using Ace hardware weedeater line rather than the way overpriced 4 foot 400 pound segmented line. Please feel free to try and recover but you know you got busted.

So far as GHG gadwalls, I think they are awesome. Not needed but awesome.

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 04:32 PM

Yeah I don't plan to spend a whole lot on them. I'm gonna look on eBay for some and see what I come up with thanks guys.
Posted By: duckman10

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 04:41 PM

Keep and eye on Rogers and Macks. Ever so often they will put them on sale.
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 04:47 PM

Yeah you can't go wrong with the GHG gaddies. The pro grades are sexy, but for the price the life-size series are hard to beat. I ordered mine from Rogers a couple years ago when they were on sale (before they had pro grade gadwalls) and they have held up and still look as good as the rest of my pro grades dekes.
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 04:48 PM

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/avery-outdoors-greenhead-gear-lifesize-gadwalls-p-1086.html

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 04:56 PM

And wouldn't waste my money on nice gaddies, they will decoy just as good to cheap mallard hens.

Unless your not necessarily targeting just gadwall

This past year I threw less mallard decoys than any other season and killed more mallards than I ever have before. Coincidence? maybe, but you can bet your hind end that ill be doing the same next year. 12 prograde gadwall were in my spread for most of my hunts
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 05:08 PM

I never seen the type of decoy matter that much... the first decoys I used were old mallard decoys that I found tangled in a tree in a flood zone... they were strait black... and the ducks thought they were cool I guess

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

I have a mind like a steal trap and you have been trapped Sir. I seem to recal you reffering to me as Cheap for using Ace hardware weedeater line rather than the way overpriced 4 foot 400 pound segmented line. Please feel free to try and recover but you know you got busted.

Dang Wayne you trapped me good, there is no escape. grin

Sometimes I'm cheap, sometimes I'm not. I like the SNL precut, strait 48 inch lines. Can you get that with ACE Weedeater line? Nope. The precut straight lines are worth it to me right there. Also, The SNL 4' precut decoy line is $12.50 for 200 lines (800 feet), that is about 6 cents each, or about 75 cents for a dozen. I bought that so long ago, I cannot even remember, maybe 5 years ago? And I still got a lot left. So not sure how being cheap here is going to buy me much.

Your Aces Hardware line, looks like it comes in red or orange scared , is $39.99 a roll eek2 , and is only 665 feet, I'm I reading that right?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index...1327540.1260415

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

And wouldn't waste my money on nice gaddies, they will decoy just as good to cheap mallard hens.

Unless your not necessarily targeting just gadwall

This past year I threw less mallard decoys than any other season and killed more mallards than I ever have before. Coincidence? maybe, but you can bet your hind end that ill be doing the same next year. 12 prograde gadwall were in my spread for most of my hunts

Hey if buying some nices gaddies would help me kill more mallards I might try that. But I would get G&H, probably do not look as good as the GHG pro-grade, but I suspect they will hold up longer.

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/10/14 06:07 PM

But I would get G&H, probably do not look as good as the GHG pro-grade, but I suspect they will hold up longer.

I agree with that statement 100%
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/15/14 01:54 PM

But I would get G&H, probably do not look as good as the GHG pro-grade, but I suspect they will hold up longer.

I know ya can't beat G&H longevity, but the GHG I have of a few species are holding up great. Easily over a 100, probably closer to 200 hunts and TX rigged so they get beat up pretty good. A couple of years ago there were some complaints about a bad batch (some issue with the paint), but no problems here.

Now on the other hand coincidentally, my G&H greenheads that get the same treatment have a few chips on them.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/15/14 07:51 PM

Hands down go with Pro Grade gaddies. You will enjoy hunting over them. Not sure if you will kill more ducks though. Ours have held up really well since we got them.

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/15/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I know ya can't beat G&H longevity, but the GHG I have of a few species are holding up great. Easily over a 100, probably closer to 200 hunts and TX rigged so they get beat up pretty good. A couple of years ago there were some complaints about a bad batch (some issue with the paint), but no problems here.

Now on the other hand coincidentally, my G&H greenheads that get the same treatment have a few chips on them.
Lately I've been hearing more and more complaints on G&H paint chipping... could they be starting to skimp on their quality??? csi
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/15/14 11:23 PM

I got a dozen of the "Life Size" GHG Gadwall decoys after the season was over. I obviously haven't hunted over em yet, but boy, they look really good!!!

I'm form the school that says to match the hatch. In other words, I like to match my decoys to what birds I know are in an area... Where I hunt, we shoot lots of Gadwall. So it was a no brainer for me to get them.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/17/14 04:01 PM

I just made my own from some old mallards

I made a few ringnecks too

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/17/14 08:51 PM

those gaddies look good rooster!
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/18/14 12:27 AM

Thanks, still have 10 doz to go.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/22/14 04:39 PM

Who makes the best looking Gaddie decoys? Every one I have seen usually has a yellow looking spot on it's back and I can't recall seeing any gadwall with a yellow spot.

That yellow spot you are referring to is the scapular feather group and every gadwall drake has it. You just ain't been lookin laugh

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/22/14 07:57 PM

Dang Wayne you trapped me good, there is no escape. grin

Sometimes I'm cheap, sometimes I'm not. I like the SNL precut, strait 48 inch lines. Can you get that with ACE Weedeater line? Nope. The precut straight lines are worth it to me right there. Also, The SNL 4' precut decoy line is $12.50 for 200 lines (800 feet), that is about 6 cents each, or about 75 cents for a dozen. I bought that so long ago, I cannot even remember, maybe 5 years ago? And I still got a lot left. So not sure how being cheap here is going to buy me much.

Your Aces Hardware line, looks like it comes in red or orange scared , is $39.99 a roll eek2 , and is only 665 feet, I'm I reading that right?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index...1327540.1260415

No you are not reading it right. I use the clear .095 I can tell you there are a lot of people on this forum whom were against it. After using the ace line they relented and said they liked it better than mono. Now so far as your price reference, it makes no difference because it was you all calling me cheap not the other way around. I was calling your call and raising you a call.:)
Posted By: Astater

Re: Gaddie decoys - 04/27/14 04:01 PM

dozen mallard hens...or pintail hens...or black duck hens...or...well, you get the idea
Posted By: Streater

Re: Gaddie decoys - 05/10/14 10:02 PM

No you are not reading it right. I use the clear .095 I can tell you there are a lot of people on this forum whom were against it. After using the ace line they relented and said they liked it better than mono. Now so far as your price reference, it makes no difference because it was you all calling me cheap not the other way around. I was calling your call and raising you a call.:)

I started using this exact same Ace line last year and LOVE it! Stole the idea from Wal. I doubt I'll ever use anything else on my Texas Rigs. Great find, Wal!
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Gaddie decoys - 05/11/14 12:54 AM

I will raise your call. Whose likeness was this deke carved after?

Posted By: Streater

Re: Gaddie decoys - 05/11/14 09:18 AM

I dare someone to say spoonie!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum