What do y'all think about this mount?

Posted By: john paul

What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:28 PM

Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:31 PM

Mudstomping a spoonie?
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:32 PM

I would guess that would be a reenactment of teal season but that's a full plumed spoonie so it's kind of a waste. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:37 PM

rofl
Posted By: Familyman

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:43 PM

Should have more heel action.....
Posted By: bodydub

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:46 PM

roflmao
Posted By: duckbill

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 07:49 PM

I find it in poor taste. I know the spoony gets a bad rep, but as hunters, not just duck hunters but any kind of hunter, we should be respectful of the wild game we take to fill our freezers and consume for our own benefit.
Posted By: cody

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:27 PM

Send all your spoonies to duckbill.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill
I find it in poor taste. I know the spoony gets a bad rep, but as hunters, not just duck hunters but any kind of hunter, we should be respectful of the wild game we take to fill our freezers and consume for our own benefit.

not much benefit when it taste like a sardines cooch
Posted By: nickduckhunter

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:33 PM

I disagree. I think a spoonbill taste just as good as any other duck. The only ducks I have found that I absolutely cannot eat are ringnecks, scaup, and redheads. They are hard as hell to clean and even harder to chew.
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: nickduckhunter
I disagree. I think a spoonbill taste just as good as any other duck. The only ducks I have found that I absolutely cannot eat are ringnecks, scaup, and redheads. They are hard as hell to clean and even harder to chew.

X2!

I bet a lot of the Shoveler blasters on here have never even eaten one. They've just been brainwashed by the snobs!

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Rooster13

Does this mean that you have eaten a sardines cooch? Kind of weird...

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:41 PM

Spoonbills A.K.A. "Greater Texas Bluewing"

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul

I like that! I will shoot Spoons all day long. I'm not prejudice!

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: yakinthebox

Does this mean that you have eaten a sardines cooch? Kind of weird...

yes, what about it?

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:52 PM

up

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 08:58 PM

X2!

I bet a lot of the Shoveler blasters on here have never even eaten one. They've just been brainwashed by the snobs!

Same argument I hear when my wife buys those nasty packaged bacon wrapped fillets from albertsons dog food...

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:04 PM

If you eat sardine cooch, then why pass on the spoonie? lol. This thread is funny!

I'm just razzing you! To each his own. I just personally have never noticed a major difference in the taste of a shoveler from lets say, a gadwall or wigeon... They all taste very simialar. Scaup is a whole other ballgame, nasty poop taste, yet they don't have the reputation of the shoveler. I just don't get it...
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:06 PM

I like it

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:08 PM

If you eat sardine cooch, then why pass on the spoonie? lol. This thread is funny!
Scaup is a whole other ballgame, nasty poop taste, yet they don't have the reputation of the shoveler. I just don't get it...

and you?
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:13 PM

High heels would have been better
Posted By: Fastduck

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
I would guess that would be a reenactment of teal season but that's a full plumed spoonie so it's kind of a waste. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Not to mention he'd be barefooted or wearing sandals.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar

It was a reenactment of the "special march teal season". It only happens in two counties in Southeast Texas and you can only shoot them with a 22 or 22 mag.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:44 PM

John, you goin to safari club?
Posted By: Going Green

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:46 PM

Pretty disrespectful to a beautifully plumed bird. Anti hunters would loooooooove to use this picture as fodder to further their agenda, and honestly who could blame them. Even as a sportsman, who gets the joke, I don't think its funny. If you can't identify on the wing well enough to not harvest the birds you won't eat, then you have no business putting your gun to your shoulder. Ringers, bluebills and other "less desireable" tablefare go to the sausage pile where, after adding the right amount of pork fat, spices, and smoke, people rave about them.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Going Green
Pretty disrespectful to a beautifully plumed bird. Anti hunters would loooooooove to use this picture as fodder to further their agenda, and honestly who could blame them. Even as a sportsman, who gets the joke, I don't think its funny. If you can't identify on the wing well enough to not harvest the birds you won't eat, then you have no business putting your gun to your shoulder. Ringers, bluebills and other "less desireable" tablefare go to the sausage pile where, after adding the right amount of pork fat, spices, and smoke, people rave about them.

Sorry john, i have to agree.
Its funny for a second, but i would not have that mount in my house.

When i finish ducks by hand or foot, i make sure nobody is watching

So to portray this mount for eternity.

Again, no hard feelings.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:52 PM

Thats weird because they eat pretty much the same things all other dabblers eat minus cereal grains... Maybe you're confusing them with a merganser?

From ducks.org:

Food habits: Northern shovelers feed by dabbling and sifting in shallow water. Seeds of sedges, bulrushes, saw grass, smartweeds, pondweeds, algae and duckweeds, as well as aquatic insects, mollusks and crustaceans, are consumed by filtering water which is taken in at the bill tip and jetted out at the base.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:52 PM

But i have a guy that i would love to replace him with that duck in a heartbeat

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:56 PM

Scaup is a whole other ballgame, nasty poop taste, yet they don't have the reputation of the shoveler. I just don't get it...

and you?

Only ever shot one that I ate. And it was nasty! Now I do as others have said, either sausage or a gumbo/jambalaya. Something to hide that taste...

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

I'm not going to make it up there. My girlfriend will be there all day Thursday and Friday trying for an africa hunting website she works for selling ad space. Hunting season is too short for me to waste a weekend up there in Dallas. And as far as the mount goes, I would never have it in my house because I think it is a little ridiculous as well. Just put it on here mainly to get a rise out of everyone! up
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 10:02 PM

Looks stupid and a waste of a good boot.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 10:05 PM

I'm not going to make it up there. My girlfriend will be there all day Thursday and Friday trying for an africa hunting website she works for selling ad space. Hunting season is too short for me to waste a weekend up there in Dallas. And as far as the mount goes, I would never have it in my house because I think it is a little ridiculous as well. Just put it on here mainly to get a rise out of everyone! up

Got you

My cranehunt was with a bunch of dallas safari guys
You prolly know joseph barbknecht.

Your nit wasting time coming up in dallas, we have a good push of birds now, 45 min from the convention if u are interested

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Going Green

Thats weird because they eat pretty much the same things all other dabblers eat minus cereal grains... Maybe you're confusing them with a merganser?

From ducks.org:

Food habits: Northern shovelers feed by dabbling and sifting in shallow water. Seeds of sedges, bulrushes, saw grass, smartweeds, pondweeds, algae and duckweeds, as well as aquatic insects, mollusks and crustaceans, are consumed by filtering water which is taken in at the bill tip and jetted out at the base.

No confusion, but I like alot of the divers
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 10:29 PM

It's funny at first glance but I wouldn't put it in my house. To each his own. I don't care for "dead mounts" either but some guys think they are cool. I haven't seen any deer mounts where the deer is hanging from a grambrel or on a tailgate with it's tongue hanging out. I guess if it's all about remembering the hunt.....

stir
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 10:31 PM

roflmao

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/07/14 10:31 PM

At least hes plumed out and isn't colored like a early blue wing
Posted By: Moto382

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 12:11 AM

I love it!! I want one!!!! Awesome mount very thought full!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 02:52 AM

I'm dying to know and sure others are.... but what does sardines cooch taste like...... and how do you know this flavor eeks333

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
It's funny at first glance but I wouldn't put it in my house. To each his own. I don't care for "dead mounts" either but some guys think they are cool. I haven't seen any deer mounts where the deer is hanging from a grambrel or on a tailgate with it's tongue hanging out. I guess if it's all about remembering the hunt.....

stir

You might be on to something here! nidea
Posted By: mohunter

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter

Got you

My cranehunt was with a bunch of dallas safari guys

You prolly know joseph barbknecht.

Your nit wasting time coming up in dallas, we have a good push of birds now, 45 min from the convention if u are interested

So Beaversnipe since you mention Joseph's name are you an attorney too?
Nice crane hunt also.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 02:19 PM

This entire post proves that some folks have 0 sense of humor.

Well done sir, I like it.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

No, we just have a higher level of respect for the resource.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 02:58 PM

Serious business.
Posted By: garrett

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 03:00 PM

I agree with the grease monkey up
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 03:42 PM

Respect the resource sir.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 03:44 PM

loosen up Incodnito!!!

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 04:09 PM

Question for all you serious folks.

If that mount represents disrespect for the resource. Could that not be said about all waterfowl mounts? You wasted the game, you did not eat the animal which died at your hands.

Just saying.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 04:13 PM

If that mount represents disrespect for the resource. Could that not be said about all waterfowl mounts? You wasted the game, you did not eat the animal which died at your hands.

Just saying.

Good point. I guess then the question becomes: What type of mount honors the life of the animal more?

As far as your sense of humor comment, the same could be said about all those with no class.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 04:13 PM

Just saying.

I skin all my ducks before I take them the taxi to get the meat. Your post makes no sense. up

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 04:38 PM

Not everybody is part Cherokee and has your scalping skills.

No class vs no sense of humor.

Caddy shack comes to mind.
Whatever Rodney dangerfields character was vs the "judge".

Thanks for the compliment.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 05:05 PM

Not everybody is part Cherokee and has your scalping skills.

No class vs no sense of humor.

Caddy shack comes to mind.
Whatever Rodney dangerfields character was vs the "judge".

Thanks for the compliment.

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 05:13 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

rofl

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 05:17 PM

Game over right there.
Posted By: chesterpm145

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 05:25 PM

That's funny! Maybe he is not disrespecting the spoonie....maybe he just shot over his limit. Lol

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: chesterpm145
That's funny! Maybe he is not disrespecting the spoonie....maybe he just shot over his limit. Lol

Yea, I think he needed one bird for a limit and killed 2 with one shot. up
Posted By: nogeese

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/08/14 07:53 PM

I guess it depends on what type of hunter you are... I don't care much for it.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 12:14 AM

I don't like it either. If the taxidermist wanted to be more realistic he should have used a hen or 4 or 5 jacks
Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:38 AM

i think its funny.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:53 AM

Think it disgraceful and quite shty- very trailer park, if u ask me
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 04:15 AM

I beleive it depends on what stage you are in your hunting career. First few years of hunting I would have thought it was funny now not too much.

I think too many people already beleive that's all hunters are (wasteful killers) so to have a mount depicting it just gives them fodder.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 01:26 PM

fodder, harrummmph!

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 01:52 PM

Again hogman, any duck mount is wasting meat.

So wouldn't any mount give the anti's something to complain about?
Posted By: Judd

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 01:59 PM

One of the things wrong with the United States today, everything has to be pc and nothing can be funny anymore. People need to chill the **** out and enjoy life we ain't here very long.

I find it funny, not like it's a mallard rofl

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 02:18 PM

Judd is right lighten up fellas...the mount is not even accurate, everyone knows you dont put your foot on the neck to mud stomp, you have to get the whole body, otherwise the bird wont stick in the mud and float back to the top

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 02:20 PM

it's easier to pitch them in a brushpile anyway
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 02:27 PM

Nobody enjoys sick humor more than I do. An nobody is sick of the PC culture that we live in more than I. Being a HS teacher I am forced to be neck deep in PC nonsense.

But having said that and thinking about the mount since yesterday I feel that it is in bad taste because it is disrespectful to the resource. And I will be honest when I first saw it I did have a pretty good laugh. But hey it is a free country (barely) and what you mount is your business.

Just my .02

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 02:47 PM

Again hogman, any duck mount is wasting meat.

So wouldn't any mount give the anti's something to complain about?

It's not about wasting meat.

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
Judd is right lighten up fellas

Sorry, if Garrett agrees with me I have mistaken my logic and will retract my last post. This mount in ridiculous and especially for something to be in a public environment for a conversation and reaction piece. I'm ashamed to call myself a duck hunter.

rofl rofl

OH wait...I've only been hunting 5 years so I'm not allowed to call myself a duck hunter or have an opinion on anything duck hunting related. For that I appologize and will go back in my hole wink

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: garrett
Judd is right lighten up fellas

Sorry, if Garrett agrees with me I have mistaken my logic and will retract my last post. This mount in ridiculous and especially for something to be in a public environment for a conversation and reaction piece. I'm ashamed to call myself a duck hunter.

rofl rofl

OH wait...I've only been hunting 5 years so I'm not allowed to call myself a duck hunter or have an opinion on anything duck hunting related. For that I appologize and will go back in my hole wink

I bet jason Aldean would like this mount

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:49 PM

So would Willie and Snoop
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:51 PM

I laughed but yeah not something that should ever happen laugh

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 03:53 PM

looks likes he was chasing down a cripple on land... best way to catch them like that... thought it would be a good idea to catch a turkey like that one time.... na...he tore my leg up
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
looks likes he was chasing down a cripple on land... best way to catch them like that... thought it would be a good idea to catch a turkey like that one time.... na...he tore my leg up

I saw a DANG good Lab try to take down a wounded Sandhill Crane one time. This dog would come out on top versus five Coyotes but after about five seconds he was crying "Uncle" against that Crane! His owner said that Lab would not "talk to him" for two weeks after that incident. LOL

Re: What do y'all think about this mount? - 01/09/14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
eek
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum