Texas Hunting Forum

Thank you Duck Commander!

Posted By: Wood Duck

Thank you Duck Commander! - 11/30/13 11:05 PM

I bought my DC call 20 years ago and still am using it today. Anyone notice how many NEW duck hunters there are this season? Probably due to Duck Dynasty I assume.

I don't mind, we are mentoring 3 newbies this year in our group. With little water in NTX and heavy public pressure, I just hope someone is teaching these new recruits the ART of duck hunting.

Shares some stories of how you are mentoring some newbies and preventing the creation of more uninformed Barney's.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 11/30/13 11:07 PM

I tell all the newbs I meet to hunt Ray Bob.
Posted By: JRR

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 12:56 AM

FYI, they don't duck hunt on Duck Dynasty, ok a couple shots here and there, but god knows I do love the show !! More people here and with the drought less water to hunt.....
Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: JRR
FYI, they don't duck hunt on Duck Dynasty.

Kinda like this forum lol35
Posted By: Stoeger2000

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 01:30 AM

Wood Duck as a newbie myself and not due to duck dynasty but a lifelong dream to hunt ducks from the time I was 8 years old. I would like to say thank you for your attitude of mentoring. Most of the guys I have seen out where I hunt are more than willing to help the new guy out and do some mentoring. I have had a number of them ask me to come over and hunt with them and when I do I let them take the lead and do the calling and I shoot when they say to.

However I have seen more than one out there that act as if I don’t have the right to duck hunt or be on public land. And I think I can see where they are coming from on that I have seen some guys out there trashing up public land and sky busting at anything as soon as they see it in the sky. All I am asking is if I am doing it wrong tell me and then show me the right way to do it.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 01:34 AM

I will pass a law to ban duckcalls on public and only shoot 2 3/4 nr 4 loads and no choke thighter than ic.
Problem solved.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 01:40 AM

I don't blame DD for the increase...I think it is more related to how uncool and expensive deer hunting has gotten.
Posted By: TxHunter96

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 01:46 AM

Drove up on some guys the other morning. Asked them if they were duck hunting. They said yes, and they had another group coming so they "got the dam side of the lake pretty much covered". Full camo, but none had on waders. I wished them luck and rode on out.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: TXPride
I don't blame DD for the increase...I think it is more related to how uncool and expensive deer hunting has gotten.

People would much rather shoot wild flying ducks than pet deer under a feeder.
Posted By: creekwilly

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 02:01 AM

Nice post. I am new to duck hunting also. But I am not new to hunting been dove hunting my whole life. I moved to an area, that has a friend close by that ducks hunts. I enjoy being in the outdoors. I pick my shells up plus other peoples. I was raised to pick shells up don't matter if they are mine or someone else's. The guys I hunt with might not be the best callers. But we try to do our best. I fell like a lot of y'all bash new people to duck hunt. Everyone has to start somewhere, they might not be new to hunting, they just might be new duck hunting. Just try and help with out with a good attitude and a non rude voice. Not everyone is a professional hunter like some off y'all think y'all are.

Let the bashing begin!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 02:04 AM

I pick shells up as long as they are steel hulls. Not only to preserve the natural state of the land, but also to keep people from knowing that the area has something to shoot at. Boom scouters are aplenty
Posted By: Jeff_S

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 04:51 AM

You are joking, right?
Posted By: panch0

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 05:53 AM

I was duck hunting when duck hunting wasn't cool... Hehehe... I came aboard before DD.

p.s. I love watching DD
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 10:21 AM

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 12:22 PM

I started duck hunting because of duck dynasty!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_S

You are joking, right?

Nope. Think about it. Not trying to bash deer hunters, but it's cheaper to walk in duck hunt than deer hunt in Texas. Then, you don't have to worry about if it was a high fence deer, known pedigree, killed under a feeder, etc, etc.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 12:26 PM

Duck Dynasty is changing the world!
Posted By: brock2013

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 12:37 PM

I don't see why everybody doesn't like the show... Where else do you find a show that has good morals like they do? What shows do they pray on every single episode? If you complain about setting up next to some rookies that don't know what there doing that's your fault because you didn't put in the time scouting and didn't go off the beaten path to find a spot where others don't want to go. As for the show bringing more hunters, why do you care? It brings more money to the waterfowl industry, and for the conservation of waterfowl. Why don't some of y'all "real hunters" actually try to help the ones that don't know anything by taking them hunting or giving advice instead of complaining on the forum?
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
I will pass a law to ban duckcalls on public and only shoot 2 3/4 nr 4 loads and no choke thighter than ic.
Problem solved.

I'll support your bill provided we add an amendment to no more than 15 shells in your position.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: brock2013
I don't see why everybody doesn't like the show... I personally don't like the show because I DO NOT like ANY faux reality tv shows. Might as well be watching the real housewives of whatever or jersey shore. Its the same crap in a different wrapper. And quite frankly the "humor" is ridiculously lame and all the sexual innuendos between Phil and kay make me want to puke. Where else do you find a show that has good morals like they do? What shows do they pray on every single episode? Ummm...Joel Olsteen comes to mind. If you complain about setting up next to some rookies that don't know what there doing that's your fault because you didn't put in the time scouting and didn't go off the beaten path to find a spot where others don't want to go. What? So we aren't supposed to set up on birds we find if there is a chance someone may want to hunt there??? Sometimes birds are just easy to get to. Its as simple as that. As for the show bringing more hunters, why do you care? It brings more money to the waterfowl industry, and for the conservation of waterfowl. I care about EVERYTHING that has to do with the sport I love. Seeing a bunch of new people is a good thing but it also brings in more jackwagons who DO NOT CARE about the sport or for where they are hunting. Its disgraceful to see people driving out in the middle of the dry lake bed trashing it up and the majority of those, or the majority that I have run across, have DC decals posted on their back windows. I DO NOT want that type of inconsiderate jackwagon in MY sport. Why don't some of y'all "real hunters" actually try to help the ones that don't know anything by taking them hunting or giving advice instead of complaining on the forum? Can't help the ones that think they have it figured out and don't want it and you can't teach common sense.
Posted By: brock2013

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/01/13 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
Originally Posted By: brock2013
I don't see why everybody doesn't like the show... I personally don't like the show because I DO NOT like ANY faux reality tv shows. Might as well be watching the real housewives of whatever or jersey shore. Its the same crap in a different wrapper. And quite frankly the "humor" is ridiculously lame and all the sexual innuendos between Phil and kay make me want to puke. Where else do you find a show that has good morals like they do? What shows do they pray on every single episode? Ummm...Joel Olsteen comes to mind. If you complain about setting up next to some rookies that don't know what there doing that's your fault because you didn't put in the time scouting and didn't go off the beaten path to find a spot where others don't want to go. What? So we aren't supposed to set up on birds we find if there is a chance someone may want to hunt there??? Sometimes birds are just easy to get to. Its as simple as that. As for the show bringing more hunters, why do you care? It brings more money to the waterfowl industry, and for the conservation of waterfowl. I care about EVERYTHING that has to do with the sport I love. Seeing a bunch of new people is a good thing but it also brings in more jackwagons who DO NOT CARE about the sport or for where they are hunting. Its disgraceful to see people driving out in the middle of the dry lake bed trashing it up and the majority of those, or the majority that I have run across, have DC decals posted on their back windows. I DO NOT want that type of inconsiderate jackwagon in MY sport. Why don't some of y'all "real hunters" actually try to help the ones that don't know anything by taking them hunting or giving advice instead of complaining on the forum? Can't help the ones that think they have it figured out and don't want it and you can't teach common sense.

Ok I understand not watching the show because you not like reality tv.
I never said you shouldn't set up on birds because someone else might be there, but if you do set up on easy birds expect someone else to be there instead of coming and whining on the forum.

I don't want people trashing the land either but that's not all to blame on a show. Did know one ever do things like that until the show started? I doubt it....

Yeah you can't help the ones that think they know it all but alot of the "experienced hunters are just as bad as rookies. They think they know it all and it's their way or no way. I don't think that has anything to do with the show. Some of these "know it all" hunters are the same ones who sit around and complain about how duck dynasty is ruining the sport but they do the same things the rookie hunters do.
Posted By: TXDEERHUNTER10

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 12:19 AM

Although some of us may not like the new hunters and some may blame DD for this but you have to think what all the new people hunting are doing for the wetlands and conservation. Without people hunting we wouldn't have the hunting we have due to the money that is spent on conservation each year.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 02:18 AM

I like to pet ducks under a feeder..... groups them up better for skillet shots
Originally Posted By: TxHunter96

Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Problem solved.

I'll support your bill provided we add an amendment to no more than 15 shells in your position.

Sounds like Ark.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
I like to pet ducks under a feeder..... groups them up better for skillet shots

I found city parks are a great place to get skillet shots. The park in Brownsfield has always been real productive. up

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 04:12 PM

The show is for kids and should air on the disney channel
Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 04:38 PM

when in doubt blame Duck Dynasty!

You guys are a joke!
Posted By: garrett

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 04:44 PM

your saying that the show has not brought more attention to the sport and added hunters?
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 04:44 PM

What I dont understand is that the show is actually ABOUT duck hunting the way that liberals are trying to make things better for everyone.

THere is hardly any duck hunting in the show at all.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Yassir Sanchez
What I dont understand is that the show is actually ABOUT duck hunting the way that liberals are trying to make things better for everyone.

THere is hardly any duck hunting in the show at all.

this
Posted By: DuckCommanderCowboy28

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 05:59 PM

It's like this. I know bikers who blame the show Sons of Anarchy for the increase in so called "hardcore bikers" Which in reality are just weekend riders . It goes the same with some folks that watch American Hoggers [stupid program] But a few guys I know claim to be hardcore hog hunters now . Walking Dead increase of folks preparing for the end of the world and forming "zombie task forces" any way you look at it there is always going to be a following of these shows and people who think they can do what these folks are doing [ in their minds better ] . Buck commander is starting to get a following as well now even more with Luke Bryan an Jason Aldean joining the pro staff . DD really hardly ever shows the guys Duck Hunting . If anything you would think there would be more folks out there wanting to start their own reality show or be a comic . Same goes with the show " shipping Wars " I work for a large trailer company, I can not tell you how many guys come in every day or so wanting to buy a Gooseneck trailer or other large trailer because they say the are going to start "Hot shotting" or start going on the same website where those people do an start bidding to get on the show . My wife works at a large moving company an every week is getting calls from people wanting to come to their warehouse and film their own version of "Storage wars " It's going to be what it's going to be . 2cents
Posted By: passthru

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 06:12 PM

Then I question your sanity because as much fun as it is to call in and shoot ducks they taste like crap. Deer is good eating.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 06:23 PM

Say what you want about the Duck Commander crew. But I have been a Phil Robertson fan for the past 15 years and as far as I can tell he hasn't changed one bit.

Watch the video below....I believe he is being sincere and they aren't doing this show JUST for the money. Don't get me wrong i'm sure they don't mind the extra millions but it sure seems like you guys are just trying to find someone to blame. This is a GREAT family with solid values. As a Christian I can really appreciate what they are doing.

I can guarantee 99.9% of you guys whining would JUMP at the opportunity to have someone come film you for millions of dollars.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 06:28 PM

"It's all Duck Dynasty's fault I can't kill ducks!!!!"
Posted By: huck18

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Then I question your sanity because as much fun as it is to call in and shoot ducks they taste like crap. Deer is good eating.

You obviously don't know how to cook ducks.
Posted By: geotro

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 07:31 PM

I was in Academy and Bass Pro Shops on Black Friday. In both stores I witnessed newbies grabbing the triple threat by duck commander. Being the helpful guy that I am, I asked how long they've been duck hunting and everyone of them said it was their first season. Needless to say they walked out with the triple threat after I told them to get something with a single or double reed. I hope they have iron lungs.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 10:39 PM

I agree with DCCowboy. I work in the saltwater aquarium business, and we get quite a few customers as a result of "Tanked" and "Fish Tank Kings". Entertainment media, especially television shows, is having a major influence on society. It's good for some, and bad for others.

I agree that the untrained new hunters need some guidance and mentoring, but until then, they're just flaring more birds my way.
Posted By: DuckCommanderCowboy28

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 10:44 PM

I agree with DCCowboy. I work in the saltwater aquarium business, and we get quite a few customers as a result of "Tanked" and "Fish Tank Kings". Entertainment media, especially television shows, is having a major influence on society. It's good for some, and bad for others.

I agree that the untrained new hunters need some guidance and mentoring, but until then, they're just flaring more birds my way.

I know what you mean ! It also goes the same for "American Idol" and the "voice" how about "masterchef" or Hell's Kitchen ?? People wanting to sing gives real singers a bad taste im sure just like people wanting to cook gives good chefs a headache lol it could be the same as someone eating a bunch gaining weight just to be like the biggest loser ?? clap
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 10:53 PM

im just glad its some type of show at least involved with hunting getting big instead of a show that involves peta or ARA types

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/04/13 11:33 PM

All proceeds of the show should go to charity

Now u are talking
Posted By: JRR

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: GigEmAggies
"It's all Duck Dynasty's fault I can't kill ducks!!!!"

Awesome, gotta blame somebody.
Posted By: Wood Duck

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 05:50 AM

Don't get me wrong. I have loved the DC crew for over 20 years. Long before Duck Dynasty or Duck Commander TV. I even have some original Duck-a-holic videos on VHS. I just think the show is grounded in family oriented, God focused fun and there are a lot of new folks in our past time than even a year ago.

More hunters is actually a good thing. More Federal Duck stamps, DU and Delta memberships and Texas licenses equate to $$$ for ducks. I just hate that our forum marginalizes new hunters and makes fun of them for trying to learn to do what we all love. Like Phil says, "Hunting makes you Happy, Happy, Happy!"

Id like to see more folks with a DC call sitting at the city park listening to ducks and honing their skills. Study the birds and learn to hunt like we all did at some point.

Press On!
Welcome to becoming a true Duck-a-Holic.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 06:03 AM

Hats off to Phil Robertson. He is sincere in his beliefs and has helped introduce hunting to a lot more people. As Si would say "That's a fact Jack."

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 12:56 PM

He built a multi-million dollar company from absolutely nothing. You've got to give him props for that.
Posted By: ARQuacker

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 01:20 PM

I've known Mr. Phil since I was a kid going fishing with my grandfather down the river from his place. He's good people. A very astute businessman. He and Miss Kay have always treated my family with kindness and love.

I rarely watch DD but I've been a DC supporter for years. I still have my original DC wooden call and use it. Good for him and his family for living the American dream. Now if he can just keep the government's redistribution efforts away...
Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 02:10 PM

I do blame DD for an increase in new hunters this year. It can be very frustrating to try and get away from them on the duck marsh when they are everywhere thick as flies. It kinda puts a damper on some mornings when you get a bad taste, but I bet if you were truly on the x, not just half a$$ on what you thought was the x, you will still shoot birds no matter who's around. Look at what Rob does every weekend, he tells you where he hunts and all but challenges you to come hunt beside him and kill a better strap than him. The "barnies" were there before DD, and will be there long after, just the way of the sport.

As far as helping them out, what would you do if someone pulled up in your spread and tried to mentor you after a hunt? What if they don't like your calling or your shooting? We have all had those hunts were the birds weren't working like we wanted to so we sky blasted a few times. I try to not make a habit of it, but I have been guilty of it just like you have! Just saying its hard to go teach a complete stranger how to duck hunt when you don't know how long he has done it or if he wants your help!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 02:19 PM

Its all about respect and who raised you to be a duckhunter
Posted By: NTX Waterfowl

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 04:06 PM

I don't watch because it is incredibly staged but most of my students watch it and 99.9% of them have never hunted a day in their life and DD has not influenced them to.

That being said, I too get tired of the influence on culture and some of the inconsiderate jerks that do join our sport, though I can't say that is DD's fault. The Beave is right, respect and who taught that respect play the largest role in how someone conducts themselves in the outdoors. The original post by Wood Duck is refreshing, that he and others will take the time to assist and teach people the ethics of our sport is commendable.

We all want that hole to ourselves, but for those of us under 50, our hunting rights may be more threatened than we realize and with a continuously decreasing hunter recruitment, increasing land development, and increasing influence from loud and active minorities we face a real and active threat. I want my children to have the freedom to hunt and we must take steps now to achieve that. If you don't believe me, talk to someone from the north east that has hunted for 30 or 40 years and see how things have changed there.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 04:09 PM

Been watching their Duckmen VHS before I even started hunting. My cousin always hunted and gave me a video to watch. He said duck hunting was fun....this was early 90's.

I didn't have anyone to take me hunting. My father didn't hunt. I was a kid, I had no deer lease, no family land. So where did I set up my first hunt? Public land. Did I make a few mistakes? YES! I had to learn by trail and error. Internet wasn't around then with all the information. I bought a book at BPS and learned it from reading a real paper book. LOL!

Times have changed.

BTW back then, the lake I hunted, was full of knuckle heads....always has been and always will....way before DD. I still hunt the same water, I still see stupid people do stupid stuff. BUT I continue to go. I've chased the feathers all around NE Texas and now I'd just assume go close and out think the "stupid" people.

I've had spots to myself and enjoyed some of the best hunts....people discover it. (I need a silencer on my shotgun). I move on and deal with it.

Nothing is constant in nature. You have to stay flexible.

Last 2 years I hunted the spots I started hunting on 15 years ago and had the 2 best years ever....for being so close and easy. This year....haven't even killed a total limit. Can I blame DD, no, the ducks aren't here like they were last year. They are now using another place to winter. I keep going and hoping one day before the end of season they show back up.

I'm a public hunter and always been...I don't see myself forking over $4500 a year to be on a duck lease. I'll deal with the ups and downs. Duck hunter for life....not just one hunt! smile
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 06:52 PM

I don't understand why everyone says"there's not even that much duck hunting". The show is called duck dynasty not duck slayers. There a very wealthy family that enjoys hunting and living off the land... And make duck calls. This is only my third season duck hunting, I'm not an expert and rarely limit out but I haven't left the x without at least a few ducks for the frying pan. To whom ever it was that said they don't want to hunt, teach or trust the hunter to conserve with a DD sticker.... Well my Phil Robertson happy happy happy sticker sits slightly to the right of my ducks unlimited member sticker so I wouldn't want to hunt with you either so if you see my white dodge just keep on truckin and keep it between the ditches
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/05/13 07:02 PM

Honest to god I have never watched an episode of DD. Last year was my first season duck hunting. But I've been dove, upland and deer hunting since I was 19..........

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
(I need a silencer on my shotgun)

Metrogun/barrel, my friend.
Posted By: wkduncan

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru

You need to teach your mom or your wife or yourself how to cook ducks. Cuz none of the ones I eat taste bad.

And +1 to the shooting wild flying ducks. My father-in-law is trying to talk me into coming to his deer lease this weekend but I'd rather fight the competition at my public duck holes any day.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 01:55 AM

Im sending Willy a Christmas card this year. Dude has doubled my business
Posted By: sptaylor

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

Willy

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:03 AM

Im suing miss kay, i gained 47 lbs
Posted By: sptaylor

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:07 AM

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:17 AM

I figured it would have a positive affect like that
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:30 AM

I believe our fear is that we will end up with a bunch of turds like this hunting next to us... and I rest my case who he is trying to emulate.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:32 AM

Got this one in 89

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:45 AM

My wife loves them, my kids love them...

I have watched the show off and on. More principled than any other show on regular TV. Nothing wrong with what they do you know it is all fun and games. Would rather boys like that make money than some of those other reality TV jack wagons.

Give me Cory over Kim K any day.

Give me Phil over Donald Trump any day.

Give me Jase over "Insert Rapper's Name Here" any day.

They are a bunch of good guys and are funny...

The show is not about duck hunting, it is about a family business and the family that created it.

I think it is great that there are more duck hunters and thus hunters in general because of them. It is good for all of us in the long run.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 02:50 AM

Sadie Robertson ain't too hard on the eyes either up

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
My wife loves them, my kids love them...

I have watched the show off and on. More principled than any other show on regular TV. Nothing wrong with what they do you know it is all fun and games. Would rather boys like that make money than some of those other reality TV jack wagons.

The show is not about duck hunting, it is about a family business and the family that created it.

I think it is great that there are more duck hunters and thus hunters in general because of them. It is good for all of us in the long run.

up
Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/06/13 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: dfwguy
Problem solved.

Sounds like Ark.

I made many hunts on a public area in S Carolina called "the hatchery", which allowed 20 shells per hunter. And you were guaranteed to get checked. Of course, this was when the limit was 3 ducks. The limit in Texas was 3 ducks too. The sport lost many so-called duck hunters during the 3-duck limit days. It was actually kind-of nice, from a somewhat selfish standpoint.
Duck Dynasty ... I'm gonna try to watch one of those shows, maybe one of these days. And I would never buy one of their over-priced calls, especially when there's still a good Yentzen being made and sold.
Posted By: mudport47

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Wood Duck
I bought my DC call 20 years ago and still am using it today. Anyone notice how many NEW duck hunters there are this season? Probably due to Duck Dynasty I assume.

I don't mind, we are mentoring 3 newbies this year in our group. With little water in NTX and heavy public pressure, I just hope someone is teaching these new recruits the ART of duck hunting.

Shares some stories of how you are mentoring some newbies and preventing the creation of more uninformed Barney's.

Pisses me off. people think they know everything

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 03:55 PM

[quote=Nathan Nelson]My wife loves them, my kids love them...

I think it is great that there are more duck hunters and thus hunters in general because of them. It is good for all of us in the long
Posted By: Beretta

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:17 PM

If you don't like it change the channel and have a big glass of STFU. New duck hunters were here before DD and will be here long after. Sounds like a lot of y'all are looking for excuses for not getting a limit. If a "Barney" can find where your hunting then maybe your a Barney as well. I'm sick and tired of everyone complaining about competition, maybe you should switch hobbies to knitting or get a private lease. This is so out if control with the bitching and complaining, every single one of you were new to duck hunting at some point and I don't care if your grandfathers grandfather duck hunted, not everyone has that luxury of someone teaching them the ropes. I was a lucky one who had that in my life and still do, but this is starting to get annoying.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:20 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Cast

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:20 PM

Why can't we all just get along?

I dream of world peace and long walks in the rain...

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
If you don't like it change the channel and have a big glass of STFU. New duck hunters were here before DD and will be here long after. Sounds like a lot of y'all are looking for excuses for not getting a limit. If a "Barney" can find where your hunting then maybe your a Barney as well. I'm sick and tired of everyone complaining about competition, maybe you should switch hobbies to knitting or get a private lease. This is so out if control with the bitching and complaining, every single one of you were new to duck hunting at some point and I don't care if your grandfathers grandfather duck hunted, not everyone has that luxury of someone teaching them the ropes. I was a lucky one who had that in my life and still do, but this is starting to get annoying.

No kidding. I love that show, it has tripled my business. Im sending them Christmas cards this year.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:34 PM

Well said.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:38 PM

So true, but I think it went over the whiners heads. bang
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:40 PM

Take someone new. Share your sport. I have loved duck hunting for many years but I feel it is our responsibility to grow the sport and help a younger generation. Get them off of their stupid x box and take them into the field.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 05:56 PM

There is a handful of guys Ive been watching on here for years, even before DD that hunt public and shoot nothing but spoons and jacks and every now and then get a marina mallard. They constantly blame some guy named Barny for all their problems in their life as a public duck hunter. They complain about the lake they hunt yet keep going back to same lake then post on here again and again about some guy named Barny that jacks up their hunt. My question is how long do you do the same thing over and over before your switch comes on and you change some things up. If you are going get up at two AM to guard your spot till LST, then why don't you get up at 2 am and drive to a lake you can launch at 5:30 and not have everyone else trying to hunt by you. I also think that most guys that blame this guy named Barny don't really scout good and Im thinking they also don't have a clue what ducks are looking for as far as food, rest, shelter, but again its that guy named Barny that constantly follows those poor souls around and ruins their hunt. Public is not bad at all, its just most guys that really do their homework and put in the time don't talk about it or post pics. Lots of people I know on this forum constantly haul in limits of mallards and sprigs they just don't post them or talk about it, and lots of them hunt the same lakes that this guy named Barny hunts, they just go a little farther in and hunt a little smarter. I wonder what this guy Barny that ruins all these hunts looks like?? Maybe yall need to look at the reflection in your decoys when your picking up and you might see him.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:01 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ well said

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:04 PM

Wow, well said, I agree with Jeff as well, what is this world coming to now.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:06 PM

Problem solved.

This is spot on. It would 100% change the game I think.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:08 PM

There is a handful of guys Ive been watching on here for years, even before DD that hunt public and shoot nothing but spoons and jacks and every now and then get a marina mallard. They constantly blame some guy named Barny for all their problems in their life as a public duck hunter. They complain about the lake they hunt yet keep going back to same lake then post on here again and again about some guy named Barny that jacks up their hunt. My question is how long do you do the same thing over and over before your switch comes on and you change some things up. If you are going get up at two AM to guard your spot till LST, then why don't you get up at 2 am and drive to a lake you can launch at 5:30 and not have everyone else trying to hunt by you. I also think that most guys that blame this guy named Barny don't really scout good and Im thinking they also don't have a clue what ducks are looking for as far as food, rest, shelter, but again its that guy named Barny that constantly follows those poor souls around and ruins their hunt. Public is not bad at all, its just most guys that really do their homework and put in the time don't talk about it or post pics. Lots of people I know on this forum constantly haul in limits of mallards and sprigs they just don't post them or talk about it, and lots of them hunt the same lakes that this guy named Barny hunts, they just go a little farther in and hunt a little smarter. I wonder what this guy Barny that ruins all these hunts looks like?? Maybe yall need to look at the reflection in your decoys when your picking up and you might see him.

Spot on as well!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:10 PM

I learn something new just about every time I hunt either about the ducks or other hunters. At some point if these guy's stay in the game long enough, the light will finally come on eventually.
I know one kid that will have a much faster learning curve after this past week though. His fourth duck hunt and already wanting to be picky.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:11 PM

I always knew them as Duckmen of Louisiana... those oldschool videos were good stuff
Posted By: rcxdm40

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:41 PM

I have duck hunted for years, I also have DC calls from when hunting shows were on VHS tapes!!! Lol. I hunt public waters and invite many of my friends who are not as experienced or just beginning there duck hunting career!!! It's easy to make fun of people on here who ask questions and are trying to learn!!! In stead of getting online complaining about new guys not blowing on calls at the correct time or sky blasting ducks, why not try to educate them with a positive attitude!!!
As a Christian myself, I'm thankful a Christian family is not afraid to share there beliefs to the world, think about the audience they are reaching to share the Word of God. I have found that the majority of duck hunters on this forum are rude and condensending towards others who are trying to learn.

God Bless

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:45 PM

Very true, plus most barneys dont realise that hunting on a big lake = hunting their roost
Ducks leave big lakes only to come back there at sunset.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rcxdm40
I have duck hunted for years, I also have DC calls from when hunting shows were on VHS tapes!!! Lol. I hunt public waters and invite many of my friends who are not as experienced or just beginning there duck hunting career!!! It's easy to make fun of people on here who ask questions and are trying to learn!!! In stead of getting online complaining about new guys not blowing on calls at the correct time or sky blasting ducks, why not try to educate them with a positive attitude!!!
As a Christian myself, I'm thankful a Christian family is not afraid to share there beliefs to the world, think about the audience they are reaching to share the Word of God. I have found that the majority of duck hunters on this forum are rude and condensending towards others who are trying to learn.

God Bless

True, but education starts at 5 yrs old, and most barneys are sooo under educated that the damage has already been done. Its like housetraining a 6 yr old chihuahua

Go train em captain jeff!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:49 PM

There are PLENTY of places to hunt on a big lake and not shoot a roost.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:52 PM

Not on bobby lake

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 06:53 PM

Ok
Posted By: twostrike

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 07:49 PM

I am just getting into Duck Hunting partly due to the fact that quail hunting has become a thing of the past. I used to always have up to 22 pointers and ran guided hunts both wild and released birds, now I am down to 2 pointers that are getting old and no wild birds to speak of. I can quit hunting or do as my son-in-law has been trying to get me to do and convert to duck hunting. I just recently purchased a 3 year old lab from a Washita Retrievers and going duck hunting. I know I have a lot to learn but hopefully I won't make to many mistakes along the way. I know I helped alot of people get into quail hunting. I am setting up duck hunts with guides to take my 3 son-in-laws on over Christmas, one of them has never hunted at all, but he has been watching DD and wants to try. DD is one of the only shows on TV that you can watch with your grandchildren and not have to worry about what will be said or done. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 07:52 PM

Not on bobby lake

Wrong.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/09/13 08:29 PM

Very true, plus most barneys dont realise that hunting on a big lake = hunting their roost

Once again the Beaver is dead wrong, which one of your guides told you that?
Probably the same ones that told you there were no ducks in North Texas a couple of weeks ago when you shared your knowledge with us then.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 12:19 AM

maybe you should switch hobbies to knitting

spot on!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: mohunter

Probably the same ones that told you there were no ducks in North Texas a couple of weeks ago when you shared your knowledge with us then.

You are right mo.
I am guiding now, so if you want to tag along, give me a shout.
We had the best first split in 5 yrs. averaging 5.09 birds a person.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 12:30 AM

I've read a lot of different things on this post, like DD making for a lot of rookie duck hunters and deer hunters being bored of shooting tame deer and paying high lease prices are causing for a lot of rookie duck hunters.

I consider myself just a hunter wether its dove, duck, deer, squirrel, hog or frog. A jack of all trades, master of none.

I never watched an episode of DD until my WIFE actually came home with 1st 3 seasons of it cuz she watched a couple episodes on tv and thought it was funny. I sat thru a season of it with her and seen em squirrel hunt more than anything. And as with any reality show, very fake. They may be Christian folk, but they are rich christian folk. Money is talking more than christ is in MHO.

I only duck hunt on invites and hunt how they wanna hunt, wether its the correct way or not, I'm hunting and having fun.

That's what all hunting is about, being out there doing it and having fun
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: mohunter

rofl

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac
I've read a lot of different things on this post, like DD making for a lot of rookie duck hunters and deer hunters being bored of shooting tame deer and paying high lease prices are causing for a lot of rookie duck hunters.

I consider myself just a hunter wether its dove, duck, deer, squirrel, hog or frog. A jack of all trades, master of none.

I never watched an episode of DD until my WIFE actually came home with 1st 3 seasons of it cuz she watched a couple episodes on tv and thought it was funny. I sat thru a season of it with her and seen em squirrel hunt more than anything. And as with any reality show, very fake. They may be Christian folk, but they are rich christian folk. Money is talking more than christ is in MHO.

I only duck hunt on invites and hunt how they wanna hunt, wether its the correct way or not, I'm hunting and having fun.

That's what all hunting is about, being out there doing it and having fun

I just used 4 DD dvd's to put under my tires since i was stuck in the mudsnow.
Thanks DD

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:13 AM

Wow, did Phil steal your girlfriend in high school barneysnipe? You really seem to have a grudge against them for some reason

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:19 AM

The best part of the show, just like super bowl, are the infomercials, and thank god we have them every 120 seconds

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:22 AM

Wow, did Phil steal your girlfriend in high school barneysnipe? You really seem to have a grudge against them for some reason

No, in high school i was dating guys with mullets driving a camaro

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:27 AM

I agree with the beave, I watched a season of this 2 weeks ago and was very let down. Nothing to do with hunting, but just pushing their product is what its all about. CHA-CHING. All about the Benjamins, period.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:29 AM

Beav, why are you always so but hurt?

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Beav, why are you always so but hurt?

Cause i ran out of TP

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUPESfkxds

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:34 AM

I agree with the beave, I watched a season of this 2 weeks ago and was very let down. Nothing to do with hunting, but just pushing their product is what its all about. CHA-CHING. All about the Benjamins, period.

What makes you think this show would be about hunting...? Is on A&E for Christ sake, it's not on a hunting channel. If you want hunting turn it to the sportsmans or outdoor channel, not a reality TV channel.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:36 AM

it's not supposed to be a hunting show. hammer

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 01:40 AM

What makes you think this show would be about hunting...? Is on A&E for Christ sake, it's not on a hunting channel. If you want hunting turn it to the sportsmans or outdoor channel, not a reality TV channel.

True,
But most people thought it was gonne be a partial huntshow
The only gunshots were in the middle of summer, pretending it was opening day, si shooting (with some fake gun sounds, he was not even pulling the trigger at some non existing squirrels inside a log...)
Funny show for kids, it should be on the disneychannel.

I tried to watch the show after a case of beer the other night, that didnt even do it.

If you throw in paris hilton and snooky, and miss kay on a stripping pole (cause phil always makes pg13 comments about her) i might watch it
Posted By: LMH Steel

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:12 AM

Here is my take on Duck Dynasty aka Duck Commander. The reason Duck Dynasty is such a huge success is simple. Years ago Phil surrendered his life to Christ, unconditionally. When you do that God will use you to spread the Gospel. God has allowed to let Phil continue to use his duck hunting to spread the Gospel, clearly Phil is giving God all the glory and credit for his success. Some of you will believe this and others wont but I can tell you for 100% certainty that when God is in it NOBODY can stop it. I know what my God can do and this is just a small example. We all have this same opportunity to be blessed by God, who knows what He has in store for you?

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:15 AM

I've only seen 5 or 6 episodes b/c I don't have cable or satellite tv, b/c I don't like most of what is on tv, or at least consider it to be junk food for the brain and would rather spend my time in the evening doing other things besides watching tv. But I've read lots of reviews in the media over the last few years, read fellow THF'ers comments on this forum, and listened to the feedback of friends.

Granted much of what is on tv is not good programming for a variety of reasons, and some of it sets real poor examples of the appropriate ways to think and act, for our young people. So even thought I don't watch DD regularily I give it lots of credit for standing up for what they believe in, that is God and family, and being proud to let everyone know about it. It's swift change of pace for most tv programming and a breath of fresh air in today's society.

In exchange for that I am happy for their success. The show has nothing to do with paris hilton or snooky. No one is going to put a gun to your head and force to to watch it. Just give the show a break beaver.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:16 AM

I believe this, but as a devoted christian, can the man (or at least willy) give (other than for tax purpose) a much higher % to charity instead of building mansions?

I have much more respect for phil still living old school

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:22 AM

Thats it, i gave up.

Wifie, can you crack open another of them californian red bottle?

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:25 AM

I believe this, but as a devoted christian, can the man (or at least willy) give (other than for tax purpose) a much higher % to charity instead of building mansions?

Not being sarcastic but can you tell me how much that Willy or Duck Commander as a company gives monetarily or in any other way?

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:27 AM

Yes, i know, but i wont share

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:31 AM

Wifie just brought me dinner in bed while watching cowboys and thf.
I got myself good wifie

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:33 AM

Ill tell you guys this, Kent Cullum is a bad azz duck caller

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: LMH Steel

Not being sarcastic but can you tell me how much that Willy or Duck Commander as a company gives monetarily or in any other way?

No he can't and none of us can. What each of us tithes to charity or the church is between us and God. Let's not judge others by how much WE think they should give to charity. We don't know what others do with their money.

Additional food for thought, not exactly related: The duck men through their show and public speaking engagements testify to the others regarding their faith in God and gratefulness for Jesus dying on the cross to conquer sin so that we might be saved. How much time do each of us spend testifying to the greatness of God and our appreciation of Him sending His only Son to die for our sins?

God is good! Let's share the good word!

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:35 AM

Well then would you mind sharing how much they should give?

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: gacman

No he can't and none of us can. What each of us tithes to charity or the church is between us and God. Let's not judge others by how much WE think they should give to charity. We don't know what others do with their money.

Additional food for thought, not exactly related: The duck men through their show and public speaking engagements testify to the others regarding their faith in God and gratefulness for Jesus dying on the cross to conquer sin so that we might be saved. How much time do each of us spend testifying to the greatness of God and our appreciation of Him sending His only Son to die for our sins?

Good point and well said.

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:46 AM

Pachos wanting mo turkey meatloaf

Posted By: rcxdm40

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 02:50 AM

Amen!!!
Posted By: aeb

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 03:02 AM

It's a scripted situation comedy! Why make it anything else?

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 03:03 AM

it's not supposed to be a hunting show. hammer
then call it Dynasty. Oh wait that's been done. Its called Duck Dynasty which is for HUNTERS. They promote a HUNTING product.

Its aimed at HUNTERS am I right? Sorry but it has hunting written all over it.

Hunt fo mercial

Hunt fo mercial
Posted By: Laser123

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 03:29 AM

Here is my take on Duck Dynasty aka Duck Commander. The reason Duck Dynasty is such a huge success is simple. Years ago Phil surrendered his life to Christ, unconditionally. When you do that God will use you to spread the Gospel. God has allowed to let Phil continue to use his duck hunting to spread the Gospel, clearly Phil is giving God all the glory and credit for his success. Some of you will believe this and others wont but I can tell you for 100% certainty that when God is in it NOBODY can stop it. I know what my God can do and this is just a small example. We all have this same opportunity to be blessed by God, who knows what He has in store for you?
Amen brother LMH Steel. Very well said!
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Thank you Duck Commander! - 12/10/13 03:45 AM

Why does it matter what anyone else has. We spend more time worries, jealous, or putting people under a microscope for what they have and what they earn. Who cares what they have, where they live, and what they give to. It is not for me to judge but between them and God. Only God knows where their hearts are. What each of us do we should do it with Joy as if to the Lord regardless of any validation. Share our sport with others. Teach others about our passions. Share your faith. We cant share the Love of Christ until we stop looking around and focus upward. Regardless of what I earn or what I have. I want my heart pure, my boots on, and the joy of the Lord on my soul.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum