Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Duck Call

Posted By: txhunter12

Favorite Duck Call - 11/28/13 11:27 PM

I have several double reeds and an echo timber double reed that I love but I want a medium-loud range acrylic single reed. I'm thinking about an echo xlt or rnt daisy cutter but not sure. What are yalls favorite and most versatile calls? Help a brother out!
Posted By: duckman10

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/28/13 11:31 PM

Couple of my favorite "loud" calls to hunt with are the Quack Shack LBSR or RNT Original.
Posted By: thefish

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 12:14 AM

Gaston field.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 12:27 AM

I like the Echo Breaker
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 12:43 AM

Was not impressed with the Acrylic Daisy Cutter. Runs fairly fast, but had to tune it additionally out of the box. Takes very minimal air to run, really not an open water call. The XLT IMO is one of the worst calls out there. If you can find an old PS Olt DR-115 they are a nice open water call.
Posted By: Moto382

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 01:15 AM

RNT Alpha 2 with custom reeds!! RNT Original African Blackwood with custom reeds!!
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 01:39 AM

Get the acrylic RNT original. Its as good as it gets for versatile.
Posted By: tjhook

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 02:00 AM

Yup got a RNT original and love it for open water
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 04:01 AM

The old PS Olt D-2 and the old Faulks.
Posted By: thirdcoastfisher

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 04:02 AM

Quack Shack Outlaw all the way.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

the mans got style
Posted By: chilled shot

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 11/29/13 04:13 AM

[quote=Going Green] The XLT IMO is one of the best calls out there.

I cannot agree more. Fixed it for you. up
Posted By: birdog903

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/03/14 01:43 PM

Just picked up a quack shack outlaw. It's a good one.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/03/14 02:39 PM

Echo, tim grounds and quack
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/03/14 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

I am with you on the Faulks. Hard to beat that old call. I got into making calls thinking I wanted to make a few wooden calls but had my eye set on acrylic. I have an entirely new outlook on duck calls. I won't touch acrylics right now. I don't want to offend anyone as I see some are buying and some folks love there acrylic calls. I am merely stating what has happened to me. I just changed 100%. I had a long conversation with myself when I was trying to get the acrylic lines up and running.

Think of it this way. There is no way for one guy to keep up with production when it comes to acrylics. So I went outside to a CNC operator. I would reciede a barrel and an uncut insert (I would not let the CNC cut the radius on the insert). For thos that don't know, the radius on the insert is where the reed lays. It is also reffered to as the toneboard. So a box would come in the mail and there are the parts. I had to final polish, glue and press the band, cut the toneboard and tune the call. I was at around $45 into the call by that time. So you are looking at $90 sales price. This started eating at me.

My frined Dave Spear is a craftsman. I have hunted ducks decades before he even thought about it. He was working in my shop once and truly making art with the decoys he makes. I was grinding on a chinese piece of acrylic. I was not being true to the entire package of duck hutning. I could hear the people that raised me in this sport, now long since gone. The question I kept milling over was what direction do you want to go? Is it really that importnat to make money? What is it worth in the end, nothing. Now if I make a good quality cocobolo call with good sound, a nice oil finish and a brass band, then you got somehting you can give your children when you pass on. Do I really want someone handing their child a piece of acrylic, fashioned by a machine and they saying this is a Wano's custom call. Not on your life.

This one has not even made it to a buffing wheel yet. This is what I want my customers to use and pass along.
Posted By: kellygunner

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/03/14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: thefish
Gaston field.

Interesting choice, either you sir are from arkansas or you know your calls.

Kelly
Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/04/14 02:24 PM

My mallard drake whistle.....cost me $3.........
Posted By: Hunt365

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/04/14 04:36 PM

Wingstopper Duck Calls
On Sale-40% OFF NOW!
Change your calling approach and see the Results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/04/14 04:42 PM

My go-to is a Foiles Straight Meat double reed acrylic. I know a lot of guys don't like em cuz of all the controversy surrounding the founder, but the flat-out work. I also have an old wood call I got from my dad that has a great finishing sound. I don't know the maker but its a single reed wood call & it's older than me smile
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/04/14 04:49 PM

http://www.gastoncustomcalls.com/Sound_Files.html

Play the canada, speck and snowvideo at the same time.

MONEY!
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/04/14 10:22 PM

I like the DU call that Buck Gartner did last year. Its still available if you join DU. I also like the Haydell timber cutter... Its pretty loud. I have used the Fualks as well...
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/04/14 11:17 PM

Kwakman Calls are best for the money IMO. They are up and coming, their business time call is acrylic, double reed, and 50 bucks. It sounds great and is hard to beat in the price range.
Posted By: Taylor Everett

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/06/14 05:31 PM

RNT acrylic short barrel
Posted By: kdub

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/06/14 05:52 PM

I really like haydell calls. The dr-85 and the timber cutters both sound just like a mallard hen.
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/07/14 03:12 PM

x2 on the Foiles Straight Meat Double Reed Acrylic!!!
Posted By: dawgkllr

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/07/14 05:58 PM

Cajun D-102 and a Cajun custom cane call.
Posted By: phat694

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/07/14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter12
I have several double reeds and an echo timber double reed that I love but I want a medium-loud range acrylic single reed. I'm thinking about an echo xlt or rnt daisy cutter but not sure. What are yalls favorite and most versatile calls? Help a brother out!

RnT Original Acrylic. You are in the same boat I was in several years ago and this call fit the bill.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/07/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
My go-to is a Foiles Straight Meat double reed acrylic. I know a lot of guys don't like em cuz of all the controversy surrounding the founder, but the flat-out work. I also have an old wood call I got from my dad that has a great finishing sound. I don't know the maker but its a single reed wood call & it's older than me smile

I had Foiles before the scandal and still have the same calls, your right they flat out work... my go to is the strait meat followed by a strait suzy! killed a lot of ducks with them!!!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/08/14 12:40 AM

My Dale call of course! confused2 roflmao

Posted By: Beretta

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/08/14 02:04 AM

If you're wanting a "loud" call, I would look at cutdown calls, I have a keyhole ps olt d-2 that was modified by Kirk McCullough, it's honestly the loudest call I've ever been around, lots of guys are modifying olts and making their own, some guys that know what they are doing are Bryce Decker, Kirk McCullough, Tyler Rogers, Heath Vanlandingham, DJ Grafton, and a few more.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/08/14 04:27 PM

Diamondback Duck Call, Cold Blooded Series by Duck commander is my choice
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/09/14 01:36 AM

Gotta go with the Texas based Quack Shack! Scott is a great guy to deal with and if you go to his house in Dallas, he will personally tune your duck call and make it sound great for you. They are really easy to call and worth the money
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/09/14 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: WHACK&STACK
Gotta go with the Texas based Quack Shack! Scott is a great guy to deal with and if you go to his house in Dallas, he will personally tune your duck call and make it sound great for you. They are really easy to call and worth the money

Fan of Quack Shack as well.
Posted By: Trej

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/09/14 01:44 AM

I really like my Zink NBG, I can really get it to go real loud but can also bring it down and get quiet and snotty with it. This call surprised me cause I'm normally an RNT guy. Also starting to get into cut downs and love the sounds they make.
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/09/14 01:21 PM

4-1 Whistle. I carry a backup in my boat "lagniappe" bag and another in my gear bag. I have brought more ducks into my spread using just the good old 4-1 than all the rest of my calls combined.

Second place is not even close..
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/17/14 01:01 AM

My wife just got me an Elite Freak for our anniversary. It is flat out awesome.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 10/17/14 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
My wife just got me an Elite Freak for our anniversary. It is flat out awesome.

Now quit waking the baby up with it!!!!
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 12/07/18 02:11 AM

ttt
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Favorite Duck Call - 12/09/18 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by B Razorback

I love supporting Texas based companies!

I have been wanting a quack shack call for a while. I needed a new call so I looked up his site. Tried to order online and his systems were down. Wife FB him and he said they will work on it. 2 days later I emailed him saying his site wasn’t working. Left my email and number. Bout an hour later scott called me. Took my info and the next day my wife brought me a box.

So far I love it. Haven’t got to take t out to the lake yet, would love to go this morning but it’s to muddy to get my truck where I need to go, and the 4 wheeler can’t get the boat wher I need either. Hopefully next weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum