Texas Hunting Forum

Mixed bag Decoys

Posted By: Gunby1990

Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 03:23 AM

Just wanna see what you guys are putting in your mixed bag! Kinda new too duck hunting just what other people doing!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 03:28 AM

2 dozen mallards, 2 blue bills, 2 canvas backs, 2 red heads, 6 widgeon, 2 woodies, 4 ringers, 6 gadwall and 4 pintail. 4 mojo's and 6 magnetic quivers.

Throw in a 8 duck jerk string and I am set!

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 03:29 AM

But, most days I just throw out 8 old mallard decoys and 2 mojo's and whackM good!
Posted By: bobcatt

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 04:29 AM

Pintails, gadwall, wigeon, gw teal, ring necks
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 05:15 AM

6 widgeons, 6 + mojo GWT, 8 + 4 feeders mallards and 1 pintail
and a jerk 2 BWT 1 Widgeon and 2 pins
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 11:53 AM

6 mallards, 6 gwt, 6 pintails and a few wigeon, other days just 5 or six mallards and a pintail or two.
Posted By: Gunby1990

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 02:37 PM

Anyone ever mix 2-3 magnum mallards in there spread!
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 05:12 PM

We had five dozen out this morning with a jerk rig and a mojo. Two dozen teal and three dozen mallard. Two pintail and a teal mojo.

Some times it works. When the wind is light we scale it back quite a bit. Smaller water calls for less decoys for me. I wouldn't say I'm an expert but we do get into them good on occasion.
Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 05:32 PM

Whatever i see when I'm scouting the day before.

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 05:35 PM

All joking aside, I would rather have 8 real nice decoys once the sun comes up than 5 dozen crappy ones. Invest some money on good decoys and you will be amazed at how many more ducks actually get their feet wet and not flare at 100 yards.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/16/13 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
All joking aside, I would rather have 8 real nice decoys once the sun comes up than 5 dozen crappy ones. Invest some money on good decoys and you will be amazed at how many more ducks actually get their feet wet and not flare at 100 yards.

A lot of guys will argue this but I for one agree 100%
Posted By: Streater

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/17/13 01:54 AM

I paint my own. I'm quite good at it too. Learning to airbrush. I do better work than G&H. I'll flock some during the split. I agree with you that nice deeks bring in more ducks.

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/17/13 02:46 AM

The main time is doesn't matter is when most water is frozen up and you have the only open water within miles. Ducks must have that water to help get the feed down to digest. It is the chink in their armor. When this happens, all heck breaks loose and you should call all your buddies because the hunt is going to be EPIC!
Posted By: BULSPRG

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/17/13 02:48 AM

I agree! Quality first. Looks do matter, especially later in the year.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/17/13 02:45 PM

About 10 mallard hens..4 mallard drakes in the middle.
dozen teal... too the right... 7 bluebill to the Left
2 woods on the far side....one or no spin wing in the spread...
Too many decoys will wave them off..
Posted By: Waterfowlhnter

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/17/13 03:18 PM

Yesterday we hunted with:
1 dz gadwall
1 dz wigeon
1 dz bluebills
1 dz redheads
2 dz teal bwt/gwt mixed

Shot gadwall,bluebills,wigeon, and redheads, but no teal yesterday, so it is best to try to match what you see.
Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Re: Mixed bag Decoys - 11/18/13 01:33 AM

I hunted with 3 black ducks and 6 mallards yesterday, and I limited. I had ducks coming in pretty good all day. Gadwall and Mallards
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum