Texas Hunting Forum

Few Ducks Still Around

Posted By: duckman10

Few Ducks Still Around - 03/19/13 03:48 PM

Went out to take some pics and seen a few birds before dark. Right at dark is when all the birds came in and there wasn't enough light to get pics but the ducks poured into the hole. There was one nice spoon in the bunch.

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/19/13 03:52 PM

Cool pics.

Still seeing bluewings and spoons on the river down here.
Posted By: txbowhunt7

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/19/13 05:13 PM

i like that spoonie. only seen one as plumed as that while still in season. my buddy clipped its wing and it flew on down to get shot by another group. saw it a couple hours later and it was awesome looking
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/19/13 07:34 PM

Pretty Birds...
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/20/13 01:51 AM

We had hundreds of pins till last week. Today loaded with redheads, spoonies, scaup. 50 acres of jap millet will do that. I pulled stubble and its full of critters. Had probably20 primo spoonies. As a collector its killing me. They are probably one of the hardest birds to get in prime plumage.

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/20/13 02:03 AM

yea I've got a buddy that has every duck available in north america mounted except for a spoonie. this guy had 2 teal slams in the same year on the same pond, and overall just has his duck hunting down with quality of species and drakes, but that one fully plumed spoonie drake still eludes him

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/20/13 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
We had hundreds of pins till last week. Today loaded with redheads, spoonies, scaup. 50 acres of jap millet will do that. I pulled stubble and its full of critters. Had probably20 primo spoonies. As a collector its killing me. They are probably one of the hardest birds to get in prime plumage.

Man I hear ya!! Last week I seen 3 prime spoons. I'm glad this one was still there for me to take a pic. In all the years I've hunted I've yet to see a fully colored drake spoon while hunting, and this was knew he couldn't be touched.

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/20/13 02:18 AM

I've got one primo in the freezer that I shot last weekend of the season two yrs ago. Going in a mount in the next few wks. If that bird didn't have that goofy bill it would be most of the most valued trophies. Got all the coloration of a bwt, cinn with a bright green head. Going in a deadmount with a bwt, cinn, these two hybrids, 2 brant and 2 pintails. Big end table duck blind deadmount.

We shoot a couple great ones each yr in mx in feb. this yr there was 4 taxidermists on the trip. Spoonies were #1 on everybody's list.
Posted By: FishmanDan

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/20/13 09:52 PM

Shot this one hunting with JJ at my place in Honey Grove a few years ago. Kicking myself for not getting it mounted. bang

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/21/13 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: FishmanDan
Shot this one hunting with JJ at my place in Honey Grove a few years ago. Kicking myself for not getting it mounted. bang

If I ever meet you , I'll do the kicking for you!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/21/13 02:02 AM

Saw a couple tree ducks flying around south Irving this morning, lots of ducks on the bigger creeks. Had a Wood Duck fly over the house this afternoon

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/21/13 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Originally Posted By: FishmanDan

If I ever meet you , I'll do the kicking for you!

Ya! I don't care how ugly some of the people may say they are but that right there is a trophy bird.
Posted By: REQ

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/21/13 04:31 AM

I got this dude this year.

Re: Few Ducks Still Around - 03/21/13 05:22 AM

I can't believe you didn't mount that spoonie!! bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum