Texas Hunting Forum

Crow Hunting

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 02:59 AM

I am planning a crow hunt this coming weekend and want some thoughts...

I was out at the lease messing around on Sunday and we have a ton of crows. I used the crow call on my Fox Pro and had them all over me. So this coming weekend I am going to put out some decoys. I already have a Mojo Hawk Decoy and a couple Silo Sock Crow Decoys.

I was going to put the Mojo Hawk above one of the Silo Sock Flying crow decoys and make it look like the Hawk had the crow. Then I was going to put the other two flying crow decoys on the Silo Sock Tornado. Turn on the Fox Pro and shoot some black birds...

Tell me what you guys think of this setup. I am pretty sure it will work but just wanted some ideas from guys who have hunted crows more than once.
Posted By: deckhand

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 04:08 AM

If your crows are like our crows, you well get two maybe 3 passes before they wise up as to why their wing man just became a lawn dart. Have fun!!
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 04:14 AM

I have heard you have to kill the first one, he is the scout. if you miss the others wont come you shoot the first one and he cant go back to the others then the others will come in. dont know how true it is but thats what I have been told
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: deckhand
If your crows are like our crows, you well get two maybe 3 passes before they wise up as to why their wing man just became a lawn dart. Have fun!!

I agree. That is why unless you are near a roost I don't bother with decoys and owls just set-up Kall'em Kill'em, and run to the next spot and repeat. I move 1 mile at least between calling spots.
Normally in a good set-up we kill 10 to 25 then move on but some spots you may only get 5 or 6. Just take what you get and we rarely stay more than 30 minutes.

Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 04:46 AM

^What he said. Its ok to set up some decoys, but in reality, you move around enough that you don't need em.
Posted By: tribby01

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 04:49 AM

Do you eat Crows? or is it just cause they are annoying?

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 05:22 AM

They are West Nile carriers so I don't eat them but some folks do. They can be destructive but mostly I hunt them cause it's fun.
Posted By: pigpen

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 07:20 AM

JJ is the resident Edgar Alan Crow. He will have some good suggestions for ya when he weighs in on this. Crow tastes like chicken.
-quoth the raven nevermore
Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 06:19 PM

Location, location, location...
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 06:42 PM

If your place hasnt been hunted before on crows, you should be fine.
Just turn the foxpro on and off every 10 minutes for 5-10 minutes.
When you turn it on put the dead crow on.
When u see a crow in the three far away, turn it off for 5 minutes and proceed with the dead crow.
Before your first crow in the morning, turn the device on low volume, as you dont want the entire mob at once.
Throw 2-3 decoys in the trees attached to a fish line and weight.
Full camo and hide just outside a treeline.
Dont let a cripple on the ground walk away, new crows will flock to hum.
Have fun, its a blast.
If you had metrogun with metroshells, it would be better for your second time, as noice is reduced by 80%.
On your second try, crows will associate the gunnoise with trouble.
Use tons of chiggerspray.

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/12/13 09:49 PM

Any luck with the Hastings Metro Gun Ext?

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/13/13 01:33 AM

Yes.
Shot 6 cases through it since january.
Love it

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/13/13 03:00 AM

I am confused.... dead crows make noise????well besides thump! I have all the Foxpro/Johnny Stewart/Bob Arohnson (sp)sounds and I have never heard of a dead crow sound.
Not sure about a Metro-sexual gun either... whistle

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/13/13 03:44 AM

Here is the soon to be dead crow sound
http://www.crowbusters.com/sounds/crowdie.wav

Here is your metrogun
www.metrogun.com

Peace out!!!
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/13/13 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I am confused.... dead crows make noise????well besides thump! I have all the Foxpro/Johnny Stewart/Bob Arohnson (sp)sounds and I have never heard of a dead crow sound.
Not sure about a Metro-sexual gun either... whistle

roflmao
Posted By: JD_Vincent

Re: Crow Hunting - 03/13/13 01:59 PM

lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum