Texas Hunting Forum

Day at the lease...

Posted By: Guy

Day at the lease... - 03/10/13 04:49 AM

Moved my big blind this year to a new spot, and with the rain coming tonight figured I needed to secure it so it does not float away!!! Had a rain one time flood it so much it floated the blind and it came off its blocks. It was a major pain to get back on the blocks. I would have never thought this blind would float it is so heavy, but it did once before, so I didn't want to take a chance on it happening again.

Here is a pic of the blind after we moved it this past summer (2012), my son and his buddy did all the work..

And here is a pic of the blind today..

To secure the blind, I put a “screw eye” (3/8 inch) on each side of the blind, then drove reed bar down. See pic of one side..

Closer pic...

I did the same on the other side. I probably need 4 all around, but this should do.. If it floats, it will go up but should stay in place...

Also had some ducks out there...

We probsbly had about 100 ducks out there, red heads, gadwall and a few mallards..

Posted By: fisher6688

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/10/13 05:44 AM

Sweet spot Guy
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/10/13 02:48 PM

Looks great
Posted By: FowledUp

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/10/13 10:57 PM

Nice
Posted By: wigglyworm

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/10/13 11:02 PM

really nice, you see many mocassins ?

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/11/13 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: wigglyworm
really nice, you see many mocassins ?

This year will be my 5th year leasing this property and I have only seen one little snake, that was a few years ago. I didn’t have my gun, so I tried to smash it with a rock, it disappeared, not sure if I killed it or not, but never seen another snake. But I see tons of snakes on public duck hunting and scouting, I hate snakes!!
Posted By: abudude

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/11/13 01:09 AM

i have a question if you dont mind....did you screw those palm leaves on the side of your blind?

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/11/13 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: abudude
i have a question if you dont mind....did you screw those palm leaves on the side of your blind?

Yeah, and I don't like doing it either, not good for the wood. Thinking about pulling all of it off, and covering blind with composition roll roofing, like this:

It would last forever then. Then just camo real well with cider.. This season will be 5 years for that blind... I have broke that blind down and moved it 3 times. I don't plan on moving it any more. More pics of it below..

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/11/13 02:13 AM

Looks awesome Guy.
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/11/13 02:19 AM

that is a great set up
Posted By: abudude

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 02:09 AM

yeah same here...looks awesome Guy
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 02:13 AM

I think one of those gaddies was a purple headed gaddie. aka the purple headed monster aka the purple headed gentleman's duck.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 02:33 AM

Awesome.
U can almost sleep in there
Posted By: Houston Wildcat

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 02:40 AM

Awesome
Posted By: pigpen

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 07:07 AM

of course there are a lot of moccassins at lake cooper. maybe you should try smashing them with a rock instead of leaving them for others to get bitten by them
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 03:17 PM

That's a great setup. I could live in there.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/12/13 04:41 PM

Nice job Guy. Looks great.
Posted By: Mckay

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/19/13 01:54 PM

My duck blind recently blew away in the past wind storm any ideas of a way to secure it?
Posted By: TexasBlazer72

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/19/13 04:29 PM

Great setup there Guy
Posted By: jseago

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/19/13 07:17 PM

that is awesome
Posted By: J-Conn

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/20/13 02:51 AM

Looks great!
Posted By: DMOB52

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/20/13 03:58 AM

Nice blind! But I got to ask do you not like taking alternatives to blinds. For one I hate getting my ears blown out, and I like to move with the weather if that makes since. Again I'm just curious not saying you are wrong in any way but I like to be able to adjust on a dime.
Posted By: DMOB52

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/20/13 04:00 AM

But I do love how you got them boys out there working! Wish my dad was able to get out with me more when I was younger.....means alot to kids.

Re: Day at the lease... - 03/20/13 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: DMOB52
Nice blind! But I got to ask do you not like taking alternatives to blinds. For one I hate getting my ears blown out, and I like to move with the weather if that makes since. Again I'm just curious not saying you are wrong in any way but I like to be able to adjust on a dime.

You should try ear plugs. grin

That blind is what I call our "big blind", but I have several other blinds... Here is a few more pics of my lease different spots..

One on the dam, this is where I first put the big blind, move it 2 more times.....I'm going to really beef this one up this season

Molly on dog stand in flooded timber...

Cow panel blind, it has a back panel as well you cannot see in the pic...

But 80% of my hunts are public. Public is my favorite because I like the verity and the challenge, I like private for the solitude. And I don't build blinds on public, I use my layout blind, or I sit it cover. Permanent blinds are for private water jmo.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum