Texas Hunting Forum

Mud Quail

Posted By: LarryCopper

Mud Quail - 02/25/13 03:54 PM

Ended up going out again a few weeks ago and had a blast. Dixie and Cuervo had a great time!

They were pretty darn jumpy. Hard to get them on the flush when they jump up 50 yards away. Most were shot dove style just flying by rather than quail style on the flush.

Looking forward to thunder chicken time in a few weeks. Fishing time until then!
Posted By: kdub

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 03:57 PM

That was fun! It's fishing time now for sure.
Posted By: ChrisTZ71

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 04:03 PM

You eat those???
Posted By: kdub

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 04:10 PM

They taste like dove, maybe a little better.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 04:12 PM

We have a bunch of those things at our place, do you have to get a special stamp or anything to hunt the critters? And do you just breast em like a dove or what?

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 04:32 PM

They are considered migratory so you have to have that $7 TX stamp with your license. They are NOT waterfowl (no duck stamp or non-toxic shot).

And yes, breast and cook just like dove. They are actually less "gamy" than doves. I like them even more and I like to eat doves!

The season ended 2/17 tho...
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 05:39 PM

Also there are a bunch of wading birds that looks like snipe that are not. Best to go with someone that knows them before you go shooting everything with a long bill.

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: duckboy007
Also there are a bunch of wading birds that looks like snipe that are not. Best to go with someone that knows them before you go shooting everything with a long bill.

Very true! Don't post up pics if you aren't sure, either... whip

Once you hear a few flush and see them in flight they're pretty easy to tell. Killdeer and dowitcher don't get me, but there is a bird that looks a lot like them but smaller that fly low in groups. Not sure what they are called, but they are some type of little sandpiper.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 08:20 PM

Awesome. Great picture.
Posted By: World Predator Hog Expo

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 09:08 PM

never done marsh hen hunting. I hear its a blast!
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Mud Quail - 02/25/13 10:06 PM

looks good
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum