Texas Hunting Forum

Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog?

Posted By: oilag

Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/21/13 04:58 PM

Hey guys,

Was looking to buy a new bed for the pup on Orvis. Would like to get the chew proof (only option is cedar filled) one with a lifetime warranty but the site says "(Note: cedar is not recommended for hunting dogs. It can interfere with their ability to scent.)" Anyone know anything about this?
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/21/13 05:28 PM

That's a new one on me. My dogs sleep on a cedar bag.
Posted By: Phildeez

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/21/13 06:39 PM

I line the floor of the kennel with cedar fiber to keep the bugs out and he has not showed any sign of not scenting downed birds.
Posted By: zeagle68

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/21/13 07:49 PM

Go look up k9ballistics.com. It's the only bed i've found that my lab can't chew through.
Posted By: oilag

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/21/13 10:52 PM

The K9 Ballistics look pretty good...
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/22/13 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: oilag
Hey guys,

Was looking to buy a new bed for the pup on Orvis. Would like to get the chew proof (only option is cedar filled) one with a lifetime warranty but the site says "(Note: cedar is not recommended for hunting dogs. It can interfere with their ability to scent.)" Anyone know anything about this?

Sounds like total B.S. to me, BUT, some dogs are allergic to cedar bedding. No horsepoo, jack.
Posted By: drakedoctor

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/23/13 07:55 AM

It doesn't make sense for the company to make that claim against themselves if there isn't at least a lil truth to it.
Posted By: Bigjoe8504

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/25/13 04:36 PM

Used cedar chips with hounds many times. Never hurt their noses from finding coon or squirrel on cold tracks. I would say this is a CYA note in case something comes of this old tale one day. cedar is better than feathers, cotton, or plastic thermal balls any day as long as you can clean it out after a while.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Cedar Bed Bad for Duck Dog? - 02/27/13 05:59 PM

Try hay, mine love it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum