Texas Hunting Forum

THF Hunt?

Posted By: fanatiquack

THF Hunt? - 09/30/12 06:00 PM

Is an outfitter hosting one this year at 2nd Split?
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: THF Hunt? - 09/30/12 06:47 PM

I think it's in Weatherford

grin
Posted By: duckiller

Re: THF Hunt? - 09/30/12 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fanatiquack

I sold red leg outfitters to bryan glass and I am no longer involved. He might be up for it. I had a good time with you guys the last three years.

Many of you have hunted on his property on the previous thf hunts.

Give him a shout. Bryan@redlegoutfitters.com
Posted By: Guy

Re: THF Hunt? - 09/30/12 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fanatiquack

Any of the outfitters on here would host a THF hunt and do a good job. Best thing is for a member to step up and organize the hunt, see what members want to do and who is interested, pick a guide negotiating a good deal for members, collect money and drive the process...
Posted By: birddog14

Re: THF Hunt? - 09/30/12 10:54 PM

I have plans that day.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 05:58 PM

Only modification I have to guy's post having helped organize a couple is that the money be sent direct to the outfitter.
Posted By: Guy

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasEd
Only modification I have to guy's post having helped organize a couple is that the money be sent direct to the outfitter.

Yeah I agree Ed, I didn't mean to say that. Thanks for clarifying.
Posted By: aggiegadwall

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 06:25 PM

I would be able to do something the weekend of dec 22-23 for a group.
Posted By: sprigspanker

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 06:38 PM

J. J. Kent with Kent Outdoors would be a good guy to do it.
Posted By: MWO

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 07:18 PM

We would be up for it. I was already thinking of putting one together this year. We have lodging and will provide meals. If anyone is interested send me a pm. Thanks
Posted By: Water Turkey2

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 07:24 PM

Send me your cash and I will arrange something with Waterfowl Paradise Club. They run a first rate operation.
Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Water Turkey2
Send me your cash and I will arrange something with Waterfowl Paradise Club. They run a first rate operation.
They've got great looking trucks too. up

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 07:44 PM

Turkeys tryin to do some slempin of his own
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 08:49 PM

I hope nobody gets slemped on this deal.
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/01/12 10:06 PM

I went on a few of the hunts with Redleg the last few years. They have a great operation and some awesome places.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 01:42 AM

Guys I had an idea today after reading this thread.

Why not get everyone that wants to do this hunt together around the coast or a lake and group up to hunt? Each year myself and 10-15 other guys meet up and hunt Baffin/Alazon bay. Yes you are going to show everyone where the birds are but that doesn't mean they will be there the next weekend or the next year. It would also be cheap, the guys that have boats could let the members that don't have boats ride with them.
Just a thought.. If anyone wants to hunt in South Tx I have a boat and would be willing to let 4 other guys ride with me. I can also get us a dove/duck hunt.

Again, just an idea. I know most of you guys live around DFW so this idea might not work.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: CoastalPrairieOutfitters

Why not get everyone that wants to do this hunt together around the coast or a lake and group up to hunt? Each year myself and 10-15 other guys meet up and hunt Baffin/Alazon bay. Yes you are going to show everyone where the birds are but that doesn't mean they will be there the next weekend or the next year. It would also be cheap, the guys that have boats could let the members that don't have boats ride with them.
Just a thought.. If anyone wants to hunt in South Tx I have a boat and would be willing to let 4 other guys ride with me. I can also get us a dove/duck hunt.

Again, just an idea. I know most of you guys live around DFW so this idea might not work.

This would not end well for the host.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: duckiller

This would not end well for the host.

I was just thinking out loud. Don't hang me up to dry for it.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:45 AM

Not trying to be critical. Just saying that would be a bad idea. It might work if the group traveled to hunt Arkansas or something.

The outfitter route would prolly work best for everyone involved.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 03:14 AM

I have to disagree duckiller. Every year i meet a group down at the coast. It is the off season and you can rent a house that would sleep everyone for next to nothing. For example, I know of a house that sleeps 16, with a dock and a short ride to coastal marsh or open bay for $100 a night. You simply can't beat that price.

Now on the other hand you are correct about outfitters who are set up to handle groups. For example: Redlegs in Paris, Texas. They are a top notch outfit smile
Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 03:17 AM

We'd be willing to host some of the moderator's. One of y'all shoot me a PM and we can start working on the details or shoot me an email, that'll get a faster response.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 12:12 PM

pm sent

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures
We'd be willing to host some of the moderator's.

um...ok...thanks. scratch

Opening weekend of 2nd split. 12 guys max. Two hunts. $300 for the weekend. (Lodging was included last year) $25 buy-in poker tourney on Saturday night.

What outfitter's gonna step up?
I'll handle the poker. grin
Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 01:37 PM

Arrive at lodge Fri Dec 14th
Hunt the mornings of Dec 15th & 16th
Depart Sun Dec 16th

12ppl(THF moderator's have first shot at filling spots)
Hunting and lodging for $400 including 2 nights lodging and 2 hunts. Meals not included, but the lodge has a full kitchen for you to cook in or you can go out to eat.

Either PM or email me. I haven't received anything yet(Hayraker).
Posted By: Water Turkey2

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:08 PM

Trying to pull this off on public would be a cluster @#$% of epic proportions....

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:17 PM

Come on Elder step up to the plate!!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures
Arrive at lodge Fri Dec 14th
Hunt the mornings of Dec 15th & 16th
Depart Sun Dec 16th

12ppl(THF moderator's have first shot at filling spots)
Hunting and lodging for $400 including 2 nights lodging and 2 hunts. Meals not included, but the lodge has a full kitchen for you to cook in or you can go out to eat.

Either PM or email me. I haven't received anything yet(Hayraker).

not much love for the common folk, I'm out

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

give the mods first shot at filling spots!!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:21 PM

Silver Creek Mod Hunt 2012 -- Slempin' through the split

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:21 PM

Trying to pull this off on public would be a cluster @#$% of epic proportions....

I do it every year without a hitch. Never ever been a problem.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:22 PM

Only $400 per man! (plus expenses)

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker

give the mods first shot at filling spots!!

whip Go get em hayraker!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:23 PM

tell you what guys, I will host one in NE Texas.

Slempalooza 2012!!!!!!!!!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:28 PM

Please mail your checks to raker now, and be sure to call him the day before the hunt to be assigned a spot.

(Insert gangsta tailgate pic here)

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:29 PM

I'll give you guys my phone number as soon as I buy a new trac phone

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:29 PM

BIG SLEMPIN

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:33 PM

Haha
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 02:49 PM

I'll give you guys my phone number as soon as I buy a new trac phone

gotta get that new burner

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: WAL1809

I do it every year without a hitch. Never ever been a problem.

What? You booked Redlegs without us this year. Bryan prolly ain't hunted public in his life! wink

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 03:34 PM

I am talking about the coast. I rent a house at the coast every year. Sometimes more than once a year. It goes over without a hitch.

So far as booking without you, you had the exact same opportunity I had. I was willing to write a check for 12 spots and guarantee he fill it. Nobody stepped up to the plate to guarantee he fill the spots, I did.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 04:04 PM

I am talking about the coast. I rent a house at the coast every year. Sometimes more than once a year. It goes over without a hitch.

So far as booking without you, you had the exact same opportunity I had. I was willing to write a check for 12 spots and guarantee he fill it. Nobody stepped up to the plate to guarantee he fill the spots, I did.

Wal what part of the coast do you hunt?
Posted By: Lance2373

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 04:08 PM

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 04:09 PM

I will meet you on the Coast anytime you want CPO. I will be down at the ranch often this winter and I hunt down that way when I can. I also hunt the bays where I live so I'm always in for a coast hunt.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 04:42 PM

Was just joshin dude. Have a great time!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 05:25 PM

I have hunted from Louisianna to Mexico. When we rent a house we either go south of Rockport and rent one of the houses ont he canal. I know of another house on a bayou that feeds East Matagorda Bay. That is more my style. It is an extremely easy hunt. I hunt Redheads and Pintails in the evening. Sleep late in the morning, maybe go throw a lure on one of the deep reefs. Hang out, cook and just kick back for a weekend. Last year we blistered the Redheads and got a few pintails too. We hunted an outfitter's blind who is a friend of mine. The guys I took limited really fast on Redheads as I was putting the decoys out.
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 05:43 PM

Wayne let me know. You want to do that. I'd rather try to do that after the Xmas...I figure by then all the geese around the prairie will be smart enough where I won't feel like chasing them.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Wayne let me know. You want to do that. I'd rather try to do that after the Xmas...I figure by then all the geese around the prairie will be smart enough where I won't feel like chasing them.

I am absolutley going to do it. Me, you, Dave and Garrett. There is plenty of room for whoever wants to go. Like I said it is an easy hunt. where we hunted the sand was like walking on concrete. No mud, no fuss. We just pulled the boat up to the blind and put our gear in. I towed the boat by the bow rope and pitched about 8 dozen deeks out. They were alreasy coming in. It was different than the norm but I liked it.
Posted By: Judd

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 06:47 PM

Elder is smarter than that and don't need the business that bad...at least I think so smile

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 06:50 PM

I think Jeff is hosting a TSCRA hunt that weekend anyway.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 06:55 PM

I think Jeff is hosting a TSCRA hunt that weekend anyway.

rofl
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:00 PM

Yeah I had fun the year before last. I'm pretty sure Gene would come too.

Overall though I think the THF hunt probably should be run through an outfitter because there are normally random new people that don't know much about duck hunting and guides would be needed to hold hands.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:01 PM

I we run a smaller more hands on guide service. If this idea had been pitched to me a few months ago we might could have done something. I would suggest one of the bigger more numbers oriented guides like Ducks R Us. Drew runs a top notch service and can handle 10 or 20 guns. We just don't roll that way. We keep our groups small

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:24 PM

I have hunted from Louisianna to Mexico. When we rent a house we either go south of Rockport and rent one of the houses ont he canal. I know of another house on a bayou that feeds East Matagorda Bay. That is more my style. It is an extremely easy hunt. I hunt Redheads and Pintails in the evening. Sleep late in the morning, maybe go throw a lure on one of the deep reefs. Hang out, cook and just kick back for a weekend. Last year we blistered the Redheads and got a few pintails too. We hunted an outfitter's blind who is a friend of mine. The guys I took limited really fast on Redheads as I was putting the decoys out.

I figured you hunted somewhere around RP or CC. If you guys wanted to travel a little further South this season I can hook y'all up with a place to stay. We have had duck hunts on the nearby bays that have lasted less than 10 minutes. I have access to a house that is less than 5 minutes from the ramp.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:30 PM

I am absolutley going to do it. Me, you, Dave and Garrett. There is plenty of room for whoever wants to go. Like I said it is an easy hunt. where we hunted the sand was like walking on concrete. No mud, no fuss. We just pulled the boat up to the blind and put our gear in. I towed the boat by the bow rope and pitched about 8 dozen deeks out. They were alreasy coming in. It was different than the norm but I liked it.

I'd probably be down for that! Just be sure to pick a weekend I'm off grin

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:31 PM

We have had duck hunts on the nearby bays that have lasted less than 10 minutes.

You know once I had a client get mad at me that his hunt was over that fast! I guess he didn't think he got his moneys worth. confused2

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

We have had duck hunts on the nearby bays that have lasted less than 10 minutes.

You know once I had a client get mad at me that his hunt was over that fast! I guess he didn't think he got his moneys worth. confused2

Some people just like to complain. I prefer that so I can be back in bed by 10am
Posted By: garrett

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

I cant believe you still bring this up, I told you I wasnt mad about the hunt ending so fast, I was mad that I got stuck on a hole that held nothing but those trash duck mallards!!!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 07:38 PM

I'll hunt the coast with you, Wayne

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 09:30 PM

I'm in on the coast hunt if you put something together Wayne. I'm down there a bunch anyways so it would be a good time.
Posted By: Charlito

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/02/12 11:11 PM

tell you what guys, I will host one in NE Texas.

Slempalooza 2012!!!!!!!!!

Cletus I'm in...

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 12:59 AM

FowlD and Texased, let's go. I know Dave Spear, Marcstar, Garret, Tx-waterfowl and Moderno are in. We just have to nail a date. I got a boat that will handle 2 more, so that is three covered. FowlDreams are you going to pony up a boat? Moderno has one but I can't speak for him. I am sure he will be seeing this here pretty soon.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 02:06 AM

I'll try to keep up with you guys by paddling as fast as I can!
Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 03:12 AM

WAL if theres room for another I would be interested depending on the date. Seems like a good group. I need a redhead for the wall!

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ArkansasTraveler
WAL if theres room for another I would be interested depending on the date. Seems like a good group. I need a redhead for the wall!

It would be a lot better if we did it during the week. That way there is sure to be little traffic on the bays.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 02:45 PM

I'll bring the boat! I can handle 2 more in it...

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams

That covers 6 total so far.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 02:53 PM

I'll bring a chessie, so yall can leave your fluffy labs at home
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 02:57 PM

are you going to pony up a boat?

Outboard work?

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
are you going to pony up a boat?

Outboard work?

Yes it will. Just when we get to the blinds you will have to go slow until you drag and then walk the boat for maybe 50 to 100 yards on hard sand. I am telling you the spot we are headed is as easy as it gets. Blinds are already built (the outfitter cares not if we hunt them), hard sand 3 mile boat ride. Super easy. We can fish or hunt the mornings or both. whatever we want to do. So Flatonia man, you in?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 04:05 PM

So Flatonia man, you in?

Could be, depends on the date of course. My son has a couple of drawn hunts that are already set but I think one is during the split.

I would bring the boat, too, if it all works out. Being from Bay City it would be nice to hit the ol stompin' grounds. I think the place you're talking about hunting is the same one you pointed my to last year. I hope it works out!
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

Okay but how are we going to get the ducks that are dead laying out in the water?

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 05:50 PM

Shotgun!

Actually I have a Kayak now too, but I'm not as good at paddling as Dave.
Posted By: MWO

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 05:56 PM

THF Weekend. Sat morning Duck Hunt, Sun Morning Duck Hunt. Fri,Sat night lodging. All saturday meals included. I can hold up to eight guys in camphouse. Located in Wichita Falls. $350 a gun for weekend. If anyone is interested please email or pm me. Thanks

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 06:21 PM

Wayne, let me know what days? If I can swing it I'm in...

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Originally Posted By: garrett

Okay but how are we going to get the ducks that are dead laying out in the water?

I have a collar that will fit you, and Judd said you were FF'd
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/03/12 07:42 PM

Yeah but you'd get mad when I pooped in the blind.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/04/12 01:56 AM

I will sit down with a calander in the morningf and post some dates. We can pull this off.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/04/12 01:57 AM

I will sit down with a calander in the morningf and post some dates. We can pull this off.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/04/12 03:06 AM

Wayne I'm in too. Let me know what dates you're thinking

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/04/12 03:53 AM

I have been saving up vacation time for something like this! I would offer to bring my boat, but I dont know if the trailer would hold up to that sort of trip. I am more than willing to split gas, or let someone ride with me.
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/04/12 06:29 AM

I'm in, depending on dates, of course. I've got a boat that seats 3 easy, 4 if they're not all big boys with a bunch of gear.

Always wanted to do a coast hunt, I'm pumped.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/06/12 03:42 PM

Any new on this WAL?
Posted By: moderno

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 12:33 AM

I'll have a boat there too, can take two with me

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 12:34 AM

I can take 2 others on my boat.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 01:19 AM

Sweet! I'll look in the morning. I git real busy from mid week on last week.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 02:15 AM

Just how big of a hunt you guys trying to pull off?

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
Just how big of a hunt you guys trying to pull off?

Don't know yet!
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 02:06 PM

Already getting time for me to put in for pto in January, the sooner we can iron out some dates, the better!
Posted By: masagaut

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 03:19 PM

Someone tell me what the hell "slempin" means....Is that the last name of the Waterfowl Paradise expert guides/owners/world renowned waterfowl enthusiasts?

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 03:48 PM

How about Jan 10 and 11? That we we are hunting during the week and we can avoid the crowds. It also allows 2 days vacation for a 4 day weekend.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 03:49 PM

We would arrive on the evening of the 9th and hunt the morning of the 10 and 11.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 06:26 PM

sounds good to me
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 06:36 PM

yep it's a plate full too

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Team Hillbilly

yep it's a plate full too

We are not using an outfitter, at leaast at this point I don't think so anyways.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 07:04 PM

hey Wal, I don't have a boat, and can't make it to this hunt, but can I post in your other thread?
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 07:17 PM

Would the boat in my sig work?
Don't have a dog though.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 08:32 PM

hey Wal, I don't have a boat, and can't make it to this hunt, but can I post in your other thread?

Yes, as you can see everyone else is doing it loco

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Don't have a dog though.

You have two boats in your sig.

I caution anyone bringing a dog to Rockport. Lots of oysters. If we go I am not taking a dog. I have stitched a many a pad and I just don't think it is fair to the dog.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 09:23 PM

Don't have a dog though.

I wouldn't run that boat there...
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 10:36 PM

Thanks. I'm out. Lol

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/16/12 11:49 PM

Thanks. I'm out. Lol

Well hold on there, if we decide to go to eaast matagorda then your boat will work just fine. You would have to kick the motor up for the last 50 yards then walk it in for 50 yards. It is hard sand there.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 01:12 AM

Thanks. I'm out. Lol

Well hold on there, if we decide to go to eaast matagorda then your boat will work just fine. You would have to kick the motor up for the last 50 yards then walk it in for 50 yards. It is hard sand there.

or he could still find an open seat with someone else.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 01:18 AM

Don't have a dog though.

That boats is fine for estes, east flats, redfish bay, and majority of the flats.

I run a 22' champion tunnel v. Goes 90percent of the places I want... The other 10percent I need an air boat

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Don't have a dog though.

That boats is fine for estes, east flats, redfish bay, and majority of the flats.

I run a 22' champion tunnel v. Goes 90percent of the places I want... The other 10percent I need an air boat

I was telling him that because he has never been to the area.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Don't have a dog though.

I was telling him that because he has never been to the area.

Oops... I forgot about that part

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 02:33 AM

How about Jan 10 and 11? That we we are hunting during the week and we can avoid the crowds. It also allows 2 days vacation for a 4 day weekend.

That may work. Brett let me know...

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 02:44 AM

I'm putting in for the vacation time this week.

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 02:47 AM

I'm putting in for the vacation time this week.

I'll do the same..

Re: THF Hunt? - 10/17/12 01:57 PM

CtDD I put you on the board already. There are 5 passnenger spots left. With 4 boats we can sign up the passengers. If we get another boat we can open it up accordingly.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum