Texas Hunting Forum

First Time Duck Call

Posted By: theGreenAggie

First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 10:34 AM

Last year was my first year duck hunting, and I learned a lot! My first task for this year is to pick up a (relatively) cheap duck call. I want it to be cheap because I figure after I learn to call decently well, I'm sure I'll end up getting a more expensive one later.

Any suggestions?

Currently looking at Buck Gardner Spitfire calls for about $25 - $60.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Posted By: jayb

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 11:31 AM

Buck Gardner are great for the $

Posted By: duckman10

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 12:12 PM

You pay for what you get. It's better to go a head and spend the money on a better call. There is so much more you can learn from a well tuned acrylic call.

Posted By: Texan1554

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 12:47 PM

Pick up an Echo Poly Timber, same call and tone board as the wood and acrylic but only $30

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 01:18 PM

When I hunt solo I blow a duck call when i see no birds. Very seldom when some are in sight. I would invest in something else or find a $10 one at academy.

Posted By: Billbreaker

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 01:24 PM

I would get the Haydel DR85 great sound and price

Posted By: Yegua lab

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 01:26 PM

I usually suggest the Quackhead calls made by RNT. The J frame is a good call to start with. It comes in a combo with a dvd to help you learn.

Posted By: TX_WATERFOWL

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Duks-R-Us
You pay for what you get. It's better to go a head and spend the money on a better call. There is so much more you can learn from a well tuned acrylic call.

X2

Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 02:15 PM

Yep.But i do love an echo timber.Its so smooth and easy as well.But only 30 bucks

Posted By: Dustinj707

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 02:40 PM

you want a good call, spend 5 dollars on a whistle and learn to work it. I only use the mallard call when I dont see any ducks or they are moving away to get them to turn after that it is nothing but whistle.

Posted By: Rob Robertson

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 03:00 PM

Posted By: mallard

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan1554
Pick up an Echo Poly Timber, same call and tone board as the wood and acrylic but only $30

Posted By: duckman10

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers
Yep.But i do love an echo timber.Its so smooth and easy as well.But only 30 bucks

If I were to buy a poly call, I'd agree on the echo timber, hobo or ph2.

But I'll take acrylic any day.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Yegua lab
I usually suggest the Quackhead calls made by RNT.

yingyang

Posted By: Fowlmouthtxn

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/17/12 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Billbreaker
I would get the Haydel DR85 great sound and price

IMO the greatest beginner call there is. also might wanna check out the duck picker from duck commander. runs about $15 more than the DR85 (bass pro prices) but it's another really good call. think someone else also mentioned a whistle, this is another great investment. they're cheap, and honestly, who wouldn't want a call that produces several calls?

i'm probably one of the few people that will say that expensive calls are not all they're cracked up to be. yea, they're pretty and they sound good and you can brag to your hunting buddies that ya spent such and such amount on one call. but really, if you work at it hard enough and really put the time in with your calls, you'll do just fine with your $30-$40 calls. i have 2 calls that cost over $50 (they were gifts) and i hardly ever use em. didn't even take em out last year. but, like i said, that's just me...

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/19/12 10:34 AM

Thanks for the responses. I think I've narrowed it down to three options, of which I might just get one of the nice ones and one of the Haydel DR-85 combos with the CD - variety is the spice of life, right?

Haydel's DR-85 Combo - $25

Echo Wood/Poly Timber - $50

Buck Gardner Spitfire - $70 on sale for $25

I think I heard two votes for the Echo Poly, and only one for the Buck Gardner Spitfire. Combine that with the quantity of reviews on Cabela's site for the Echo vs. the Buck Gardner, and I'm leaning toward the Echo Poly as well as Haydel DR-85 with the learning CD... Pros, cons?

Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/19/12 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: theGreenAggie
Thanks for the responses. I think I've narrowed it down to three options, of which I might just get one of the nice ones and one of the Haydel DR-85 combos with the CD - variety is the spice of life, right?

I think I heard two votes for the Echo Poly, and only one for the Buck Gardner Spitfire. Combine that with the quantity of reviews on Cabela's site for the Echo vs. the Buck Gardner, and I'm leaning toward the Echo Poly as well as Haydel DR-85 with the learning CD... Pros, cons?

Oh those, I used the Haydel's DR-85, it's what I learned on. It's really easy to blow and sounds really good. Haydel's makes a great product.

Posted By: LillyCreekHunter

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/19/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: HOU Razorback
Originally Posted By: theGreenAggie

Oh those, I used the Haydel's DR-85, it's what I learned on. It's really easy to blow and sounds really good. Haydel's makes a great product.

I am just learning myself...my Dad and father-in-law normally call so never worried about it much. I bought Haydels DR-85 and love it. You can go Delta Waterfowl website for some tips. Kelly Haydel has some videos posted on the website. http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/hunting/calling.php

Posted By: Hunt365

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 09:08 PM

Wingstopper 5-n-1 Guide Series Whistle Duck Call
it has 4 whistle calls on one end and Mallard hen on the other.
On Sale for $29.99 right now

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 09:21 PM

wow, 4 separate whistles on one end. How neat, must look like a chinese throwing star

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 09:33 PM

Doesn't look like one but is deadly to ducks as one!

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 09:34 PM

But Made in the USA

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 09:36 PM

so does it have 4 different whistles? I can't wrap my head around it.

Why didn't you just put one whistle on the end of it? You can make a bunch of different sounds from one whistle.

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 09:39 PM

Click on the wingstopper.com and you will see

Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 10:04 PM

Just get on eBay and you can pick up a good call pretty cheap. I'm going vote for RNT

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Just get on eBay and you can pick up a good call pretty cheap. I'm going vote for RNT

I will second that. I have seem some really sweet deals on some nice calls during the summer when the average hunter does not have duck season on his mind.

Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/20/12 11:16 PM

I bought the Wingstopper. It is essentially a mallard hen call on one end and a whistle on the other. You can make the mallard hen quacks and call combinations on one side (the call vents out the side) and use the other end as a traditional whistle. You can make the teal, pintail, widgeon and mallard drake call similar to a DC whistle or a Buck Gardner whistle. I like the fact that its a single call since its easy to blow one side or the other and only use one hand.

I have not used this call in the field yet. I bought it last year after season just to give it a try. Prior to that I did a ton of research to see which calls were best. I came down to the same group you did, Duck Commander, RNT, Haydel and Buck Gardner. I tried a bunch of them at Cabela's and opted for the Buck Gardner Firecracker and Whistle.

Since you live near Cabelas, buy a bunch, try them and return the ones you don't like. I have more calls than I need (just like I do for turkey). I will give them all a shot this season and let everyone know how they work.

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/21/12 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

Jeff's right, FYI there are 2 Wingstopper Calls on ebay now!

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/23/12 02:16 PM

So... Haydel's DR-85 to learn on this year, and then perhaps a nicer call next year.

Follow up question - Best teal call for a newbie?

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/25/12 10:21 AM

How difficult is it to use the Buck Gardner 6-in-1 Duck Whistle?

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/25/12 09:18 PM

super easy. Its a great call

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/25/12 09:18 PM

It is the same as the Duck Commander and the other similar whistle calls though, so get whatever is cheaper...

Posted By: biz

Re: First Time Duck Call - 07/25/12 11:56 PM

Dr 85 would have to be my pic to call ducks alot of calls out there call people and being a new hunter most important is be where the ducks wana be a call is only a tool

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum