Texas Hunting Forum

A Good Morning and a Bad One

Posted By: Cappy_TX

A Good Morning and a Bad One - 01/02/12 05:19 PM

Started off with a single Gadwall that decoyed perfectly ...

Then we got an immature drake Wigeon (not fully colored), and 2 more Gadwalls.

Just before we quit at 8:15, I dusted and sailed a lone drake Pintail that went at least 1/4 mile into a pasture two properties over ... one that that we can't go into. Makes me sick when that happens. That's the 3rd sailer over there this season.

As I was taking that last pic, before going to get the Jeep, I saw a pair "Austin Bluebills" head right at us high from the West. Rusty apparently spotted them because it was his sudden intent stare that caused me to look up. I made the mistake of grabbing the gun from a few yards away, still leaning against the boat where we had just taken a pic, and snapping off a long pass shot. The lower of the two birds took shot and went into a death glide towards the East end of the wetlands. I could see the splash from where we were 200+ yards away.

We loaded up and drove around the berm to the East end where I had marked the bird's fall. Apparently Rusty had too because he was whining and pawing at the back gate to get out. Didn't take him long to locate the still alive but gut shot duck. Rusty's getting good at searching by scent as well as sight.

The other two dawgs were waiting for us when we got home. They look forward to their daily ritual.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: A Good Morning and a Bad One - 01/02/12 07:43 PM

Stinks to loose one like that but it happens

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum