Texas Hunting Forum

Can't make this up, mount the speck?

Posted By: thomas_z71

Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 02:04 AM

So long story short, I go out to our family land to try to pass shoot a few geese since the wind was blowing hard...sure as [censored] before I leave, it rains, and the wind dies down..but I'm only in town til tomorrow so I try it anyway..get the speck about 5pm, then this little critter comes from another property and happens to cross into our land about 30 yards from me..BlackCloud BB 3.5s did there job with one pull!! I'm thinking about mounting the speck b/c it looks good to me and it's a good story to tell...what you guys think as far as a mature speck goes?

Posted By: Sooner N TX

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 02:18 AM

Mount them together. I've seen the bobcat chasing quail, now a coyote chasing a goose.

Posted By: mnsherick

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Sooner N TX
Mount them together. I've seen the bobcat chasing quail, now a coyote chasing a goose.

I was thinking the same.

In the end it's all about the memories that YOU took away from the hunt it's not about if someone else "thinks" it's the perfect specimen.

YOU make a mounted animal WHAT it is.

-Matt

Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 02:25 AM

Nice markings on that speck. Get it mounted for sure. Some don't have markings that defined.

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 02:31 AM

Trust me, i wanted to take the Yote too, but I can only imagine how much that would be....I have the pic, and I'll be sure to put it next to the mount somewhere for the "STORY." Can't wait. Already called the guy that did my duck about 15 years ago...will take about a year frown

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 03:17 AM

As long as it looks good to you is all that matters. Specks can be a little more barred out than that or can be less...Id say that one is in between. If you like it and got a good story for it then Id say mount that sucker. If you shoot a better one in the future, then mount that one too lol

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 03:18 AM

I'm still looking, but this is winning so far..love the spread out tail feathers!

Posted By: Fastduck

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 03:59 AM

for a mature speck, it's probably a 5 on scale of 10. The one pictured above would probably be an 8-9. If the bird means a lot to you than get it mounted.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 05:29 AM

What a great story! I'd mount them together! THAT'S GREAT!

Personally, I like the 'story' end of keeping a mount, over the 'specimen' value of it. I figure, "What the heck? It's my house, my bird & my money, if I want to mount something for the story value, why not?" I doubt the taxidermist cares, long as he's getting paid. Go for it... WAAAAAAY cool!

PS: You wanna come over here with those BC's and take care of these foxes eating my chickens?

Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 06:45 PM

Mount them together with the spec in the yote's mouth fighting to get away.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/20/11 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Sooner N TX

that would be COOL up

Posted By: madmac

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/22/11 03:14 AM

yes if it tells a story then i would mount it , this is my first year with a dog she is young 1.5 yrs and opening day i told her the first bird u retrive , you get it i will mount it
darn if her first bird wasnt a good looking woodie drake and her secound was a hen good birds but nothing above average just the memoiry

Posted By: Sniper42

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/22/11 04:09 AM

That is a great story! I vote mount them both!

Posted By: lakesteak123

Re: Can't make this up, mount the speck? - 12/22/11 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
What a great story! I'd mount them together! THAT'S GREAT!

Personally, I like the 'story' end of keeping a mount, over the 'specimen' value of it. I figure, "What the heck? It's my house, my bird & my money, if I want to mount something for the story value, why not?" I doubt the taxidermist cares, long as he's getting paid. Go for it... WAAAAAAY cool!

PS: You wanna come over here with those BC's and take care of these foxes eating my chickens?

First off that's a cool speck!!! You could always do a head/shoulder of the yote with the bird in its mouth or something.

Second if you have foxes getting at your laying hens buy you a half dozen guineas and a couple of real big Egyptian geese. You will never have problems with snakes of foxes again. The guineas will kill the snakes and foxes won't hardy mess with a 15lb goose! Plus a couple of guineas on the roof are the best watch dogs on the planet.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum