Texas Hunting Forum

Scouting....

Posted By: FowlDreams

Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:29 AM

5 lakes/rivers, 482 miles of driving, 2 tanks of gas through the boat, froze our azzes off in the wind, all over a 12 hour day, but found plenty of birds.

That, my friends is what duck hunting is about!

confused2

Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:44 AM

I'll give ya that, Brett. That's the way to put in the work. And that IS what hunting public is all about. Get off your azz, gas up the truck and boat and go find em instead of asking folks. Let that be a lesson to some on here.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:45 AM

Sounds like fun!

Posted By: Trozacky

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:48 AM

So where were all the birds? What time of day were they flying? What park did you put your boat in on. What lake? Can I go and bring some friends?

Barney

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
I'll give ya that, Brett. That's the way to put in the work. And that IS what hunting public is all about. Get off your azz, gas up the truck and boat and go find em instead of asking folks. Let that be a lesson to some on here.

that was my pointgrin

Posted By: duckiller

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:16 AM

I prolly enjoy that part more than the killing. No Joke!

Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:18 AM

I thought duck hunting was about shooting ducks. Guess that's just me. grin

Posted By: SGIBSON

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:45 AM

We need some GPS coordinates.....lol

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 03:05 AM

I like that part just as much, I only shoot them to finalize the sucess of scouting. Well, I guess shooting them is kinda a lot of fun too.

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 03:07 AM

Yep, sounds like a good time. The feeling success is so much sweeter when you put effort into it.

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 03:08 AM

oh yeah, and thanks for the call. lol

Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: duckiller

X10

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:12 AM

Oh and only 1 of those lakes came up any significant amount from the rains this past weekend... about 6"

I was pretty disappointed about that, but there's still runoff from creeks/river going into it, so maybe it'll come up a little more by this weekend.

Each one of those lakes still needs to come up at least 6' before my honey holes fill up juggle

Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:37 AM

Must be nice to have the time and money to do that. Its not that some folks.are lazy and wont get off their azz to scout, some folks can't. I cannot afford to to scout that hard nor do I have the time with my work schedule. I believe many folks also have that problem. I would love to be able to do things like that. I dislike like how quick people call some one a barney cause they aren't fortunate to be able to.scout and are looking for some help. I commend you on your hard work scouting and I hope it pays off for you. I will continue to be stuck in this duckless hell hole they call college station. Lol

No worries im just in a bad mood, and I mean no.disrespect

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:40 AM

Plenty of ducks in CStat.

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:44 AM

If you have private land im sure there are plenty of birds.

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Boudreaux
Must be nice to have the time and money to do that. Its not that some folks.are lazy and wont get off their azz to scout, some folks can't. I cannot afford to to scout that hard nor do I have the time with my work schedule. I believe many folks also have that problem. I would love to be able to do things like that. I dislike like how quick people call some one a barney cause they aren't fortunate to be able to.scout and are looking for some help. I commend you on your hard work scouting and I hope it pays off for you. I will continue to be stuck in this duckless hell hole they call college station. Lol

It's all good, and I definitely understand that... to a certain extent. I will admit that I'm fortunate enough that my job gives me at minimum 2 days off during the week every week and every other weekend off.

The money situation is also understandable. I spent $120 in gas, $6 chick fil a breakfast, $10 for snacks/drinks/dip at the gas station, and $12 at walmart. I stopped and picked up a ski mask. I left my under armour mask at home and my face would have frozen off otherwise.

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:56 AM

482 mi of.windshield time with my boat in tow would have cost roughly $175 plus 2 tanks of fuel in the boat another $40. Gets expensesive real quick. Got to pay to play, but there is a limit

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 04:58 AM

That's a paragraph full of excuses. The reality is that if you wanted to make it happen you could. The funny thing is most duck hunters who "don't have" time or money to scout somehow find the time and money to show up to the tag along duck shoot at their buddies hole.

I've noticed that 9 times out of 10 when you invite someone on a duck hunt they will show up at the drop of a hat. On the contrary more times than not when you invite someone to help scout with you they can't make it or something comes up last minute that conflicts.

I hate excuses. Its a matter of priority. Not that that's a bad thing...that's just how it is. "You make time for the things you love."

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 05:07 AM

^^^ sad but true...

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 05:09 AM

Its hard to get in the hunts when you work.6 days a week sun to sun.down. even if the time was there, the cost is there. Unfortunately there are other priorities.in life that have to move hunting down the list. They aren't "excuses". And sometimes it is heck of a lot.easier.to just show up on an invite. A lot less logistics involved for a single hunt, rather than having to spend twice the time for one hunt. I am not a lazy hunter, but my schedule does.not allow me to be able to scout.

I did spend what little.time I could scouting during the split, but it was not productive. No water, no birds, no bueno

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 05:32 AM

Its hard to get in the hunts when you work.6 days a week sun to sun.down. even if the time was there, the cost is there. Unfortunately there are other priorities.in life that have to move hunting down the list. They aren't "excuses". And sometimes it is heck of a lot.easier.to just show up on an invite. A lot less logistics involved for a single hunt, rather than having to spend twice the time for one hunt. I am not a lazy hunter, but my schedule does.not allow me to be able to scout.

I did spend what little.time I could scouting during the split, but it was not productive. No water, no birds, no bueno

Like I said, it's a matter of priority and that's not a bad thing.

Also keep in mind, when you tag along for a hunt someone else most likely had to do all the things that you dont make time to do and spend all the money that you aren't willing to spend. In other words someone else is setting the table that you are eating at.

Posted By: TBK

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 06:56 AM

Sounds you either need to find a different Bobbie or learn to live with limited success. Maybe it sucks but that's life. You get out of everything what you put in whether it's work, family or duck hunting.

Posted By: Jordan A

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 07:29 AM

This is why I as a first season duck hunter I have come to realize that duck hunting is a special breed of hunter (in many aspects as far as scouting, lugging gear, buying gear, calling, etc . . .). Not that other hunting doesn't have that (to each his own). But it is also why I have come to love it

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 11:06 AM

IMO if you're going to duck hunt, the challenge of preparing is what it's about. It's the scouting and the umteen million 'unpleasantries' that we come to love (thigh-deep mud, freezing cold water, biting wind & weather, exhausting treks, toting gear thru unforgiving terrain and more.) And the dog... ever at our side, who understands this call of the wild and who adores us for the priviledge of being able to tag along as together, we border on the insane, testing our mettle against the elements. Somehow, all this lets us know that we are alive and living large - because we're doing what so many others would not. It's the inner satisfaction of surmounting great challenges that equals quality of life.

That said, I wanted to expand my options this year and have lots of new places to hunt on the central coast, which is a 3 hr drive from home. This would be in addition to where I've been going, which is anywhere between a 15 and 90 min drive from home. The new place is my 'luxury'... it's a lease and I pay someone else to do the scouting and give me access to many great spots. It's a different kind of pleasure to just show up, chunk some dekes out and wait for the birds (yes, I'm over-simplifying it.) But nice as that is, I can't shake the feeling that I'm cheating because I'm gleaning (killing ducks) where another man has sown (found the ducks.) Plus you can just drive right up to every spot. Yes, it's nice and definitely has it's advantages, but to me, it does feel like less than half the sport. I battle with myself because I paid for this "luxury", yet struggle to look at it as such. It feels too easy, yet it was meant to be - and I tell myself it's practical, wise and safer for a single, almost always solo, female hunter in her 50's who must admit she is getting a little slower with each passing year.

However, I will always feel that the difficult to attain public spots are a unique treasure for their challenges. And crazy as it sounds, I yearn for this challenge and in many ways, prefer it over the luxuries of the lease. I need the occasional 'fix' of having to work to get to where the ducks can so effortlessly fly (and fly away. lol) And whether I kill ducks or not is secondary to having put in the effort. Something in me just needs to know that when I see ducks, it's due to my, not someone else's efforts. Maybe it's because I'm from an earlier era when you worked for, rather than bought, a good hunt. Maybe it's because I and grew up hunting public, which was common in my day up north. OR, maybe it's because I'm just a purist... which I suspect is the heart of every true waterfowler. We want what's untamed, often untouched and out of reach for the masses. We live for those raw mornings when, while the rest of the world is asleep in their warm beds, we have paid the price with an exhausting trek, set up our spread in freezing water, then hunkered down in the blind, the salty taste of sweat, mingled with ice cold rain/snow our lips. This is the pay-off for that sweat... our best buddy at our side, our eyes to the skies, watching in silent anticipation and a familiar, yet invigorating sense of awe as the aerial show at dawn's first light begins.

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 11:43 AM

Well the thread just ended. Very nice post ISL, that just about says it all. Duck hunting is work, a love hate relationship, but in the end it's the feeling of success that keeps us working harder and coming back for more.

Posted By: chilled shot

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 11:53 AM

Have you ever considered writing for outdoor publications. Really, no joke, that's some good stuff. Well put,well said.

Back to topic, it's not a cheap sport, but it is, what it is. Love it, live it or leave it.

Posted By: army_chad

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: chilled shot
Have you ever considered writing for outdoor publications. Really, no joke, that's some good stuff. Well put,well

X2

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:27 PM

I've noticed that 9 times out of 10 when you invite someone on a duck hunt they will show up at the drop of a hat. On the contrary more times than not when you invite someone to help scout with you they can't make it or something comes up last minute that conflicts.

You must know the same folks I do.

I put a couple hundred miles on Sunday just driving looking at run off got out of the car a few times and poked around. Asked 3, 4 people to head out with me. None could make it. But you can bet your bottom dollar they all want to know what the plan for this weekend is.

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 01:38 PM

Both sides of the story have valid points. Not everybody that is a duck hunter, even a passionate one, works a variable schedule or is their own boss or has more than 2 days off a week (sometimes only one!)

We all know guys that will let us do all the work and never return the favor. And we all know guys that will let us do the work now because they are busy but we know they'll return the favor next week when we are.

Posted By: sunrisesuperman

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:03 PM

Like I said, it's a matter of priority and that's not a bad thing.

Also keep in mind, when you tag along for a hunt someone else most likely had to do all the things that you dont make time to do and spend all the money that you aren't willing to spend. In other words someone else is setting the table that you are eating at.

Preach it, Stephen. cheers

We must exchange the philosophy of excuse - what I am is beyond my control - for the philosophy of responsibility. Barbara Jordan

I find as I move down the waterfowling road, slackers have tended to drop by the wayside. I'm lucky now to have a few good hunting partners that will, and do, put in the time and effort to find birds.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:36 PM

It's nice to head out, not have to worry about gear, rushing, or other hunters.

Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:47 PM

All I'm gonna say is that there are plenty of "public" birds around BCS as I live here as well and have been stone cold [censored] murdering them during the first split...

Dave

Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:47 PM

Going to continue to do such beginning again this saturday morning....

Dave

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: army_chad
Have you ever considered writing for outdoor publications. Really, no joke, that's some good stuff. Well put,well

X2

lol... I'd be all over that if it means tagging along on cool adventures to write about!!!! Thanks for the good word.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 03:51 PM

I think it's all about bringing something to the table. Maybe one guy gets some spots and other gets other spots. Or maybe one guy doesnt do any work but they drive or foot some expenses. Or maybe a person is really likeable and you want to take them hunting. People that don't bring anything to the table won't really make it in any crew.

Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 05:29 PM

Yeah, lots of guys don't have time to scout. Those are the fellas that are on here complaining that at Lake X a guy set up 100 yards down from them and ruined their hunt... Barney or not- you get what you pay for on public. Don't hate on folks that do the work! I bet if y'all sent me your budget and schedules, I could find a couple dollars and hours to go scouting! The REAL work is done BEFORE you gas up the truck/boat!

Posted By: garrett

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
I think it's all about bringing something to the table. Maybe one guy gets some spots and other gets other spots. Or maybe one guy doesnt do any work but they drive or foot some expenses. Or maybe a person is really likeable and you want to take them hunting. People that don't bring anything to the table won't really make it in any crew.

THEN YOU BETTER START BRINGING SOMETHING TO THE TABLE

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 05:56 PM

I'll bring whatever I need to the table to get in some hunts. I don't have a hunting partner anymore. Have gear boat and dog.

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 10:33 PM

I'll bring whatever I need to the table to get in some hunts. I don't have a hunting partner anymore. Have gear boat and dog.

Well you know you are welcome to come with me! I don't like going solo all the time, plus it's great to have someone to share stories with later on.

Posted By: chilled shot

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 10:49 PM

What, a partnership in tha making. I'm gettin that warm fuzzy feelin.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

THEN YOU BETTER START BRINGING SOMETHING TO THE TABLE

ALL THE SPOTS YOU HAVE HUNTED THIS YEAR WERE BECAUSE I WAS ABLE TO GET IT SET UP.

We done yelling?

Posted By: garrett

Re: Scouting.... - 12/07/11 11:57 PM

I'M NOT

Re: Scouting.... - 12/08/11 01:18 AM

What, a partnership in tha making. I'm gettin that warm fuzzy feelin.

Yeah, well, y'know... I have that affect on people. blush

Actually, we've hunted together before, so don't get TOO warm n fuzzy.

Posted By: Shl0g

Re: Scouting.... - 12/08/11 02:14 AM

I have the benefit of having two very close friends with very nice rigs (boats) for hunting. Obviously, to scout the way you should (public)...you need a boat (I do not have a boat). My buddy spends all the time scouting pretty much by himself...and I pretty much ride the coat tails come the weekends on where he thinks we will have the most success. Yes, I have bailed on him before when he asked me to scout...and Yes, I have been with him to scout. I try my very best to bring to the table other things that contribute to the "team" of hunting with a group....gas, gear, money, driving, food, carrying stuff, setting up, picking up...(not perfect by any means on the previous things...)

I think if you find yourself as the "wing-man" to an avid duck hunter...you must concisouly try to do your part in the best way possible to earn your keep...because lets face it, the real work is "finding" the birds.

On the same note, if you are one of those avid duck hunters and you find your good buddy slacking off in his "wing-man" role....put him straight that he should be doing his part, because there always another "wing man" out there that will work that much harder for a good hunt!

Aus, thanks for busting your azz yet again...

Your wing man...shlog
DFD

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum