Texas Hunting Forum

Bay hunting

Posted By: Gengo

Bay hunting - 11/15/11 07:09 PM

There isn't much public hunting around my fiance's parents house in Missouri City. I have tried looking for the laws concerning hunting the bays and navigable waterways in the area, but can't find anything. Does anybody know of a source that explains the laws/rules for hunting on the coast?

I will be making a call to the gw but I would like to be able to make myself somewhat knowledgeable before.

Thanks.

Posted By: TXPride

Re: Bay hunting - 11/15/11 07:30 PM

For the most part, If yo are in the water, it is public. If you are hunting on the bank, stay below the "mean high tide," and some gw use the vegetation line as the point of reference for private/public.

The Texas General Land Office (GLO) is the authority for the bays. Contact them and the GW to be safe.

Posted By: Gengo

Re: Bay hunting - 11/15/11 07:47 PM

Thanks very much for the info.

Re: Bay hunting - 11/15/11 08:03 PM

Also, if it is GLO property (like spoil islands) it is public, and you can walk all over it.

Edit: not all spoil islands are GLO, just making an example

Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Bay hunting - 11/15/11 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPride
Also, if it is GLO property (like spoil islands) it is public, and you can walk all over it.

Be careful with this.....not all spoil islands are GLO property. Most of them are, but look for any signs or posts marked with purple paint. If you see purple paint, stay off of the spoil island.

Re: Bay hunting - 11/15/11 09:47 PM

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I should have stressed that it was an example. Some are private or even Federal lands

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum