Texas Hunting Forum

question for the wonder...

Posted By: ishootspoonies

question for the wonder... - 11/07/11 11:42 PM

...what do you do when youve got 5 dead green heads on your strap? do you pack up and leave with your mallard limit? or do you shoot a trash duck to make number 6? Does the wonder settle for a bull sprig? or a canvasback? or maybe stoop so low as to shoot a woodie when hunting mallards in the flooded timber?

Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/07/11 11:47 PM

.........Answer is A: "Pack up and leave with your mallard limit."

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/07/11 11:51 PM

word

Posted By: casey77

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/07/11 11:54 PM

I would shoot a 6th duck. Clean and eat them all. Dont shoot alot of green so it doesnt matter to me

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/07/11 11:55 PM

.......Our kids don't even like to shoot OTM's (Other Than Mallards)
I Guess we spoiled them too.

Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/07/11 11:58 PM

In flooded timber, I might wait it out for a drake woodie or another good drake. It would also depend on how many birds are buzzing around and what time I had that 5th greenhead. I'll usually wait for a sixth bird when I have five mallards.

Posted By: Will

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Thanks for leaving us all the other ducks!

Posted By: Labman

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
In flooded timber, I might wait it out for a drake woodie or another good drake. It would also depend on how many birds are buzzing around and what time I had that 5th greenhead. I'll usually wait for a sixth bird when I have five mallards.

Then you ruined your strap of green. Pack up and go!

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Labman

Throw in a drake(can, woodie, widgeon, bull sprig,etc) and you just made your strap even better. Not filling it would Be like fishing a tournament and going to weigh-in early with four big smallmouth when you can still fill out your 5 fish limit lol

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 01:18 AM

I would pack up my left over twinkies and go home

Posted By: mnsherick

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 01:26 AM

I'll second that.

-Matt

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 01:34 AM

Throw in a drake(can, woodie, widgeon, bull sprig,etc) and you just made your strap even better. Not filling it would Be like fishing a tournament and going to weigh-in early with four big smallmouth when you can still fill out your 5 fish limit lol

Perfectly stated!

Posted By: texashunter36

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 01:40 AM

Glad y'all leave plenty for the rest of us, sometimes you just gotta take anything you can get!!

Posted By: duckman10

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: texashunter36
Glad y'all leave plenty for the rest of us, sometimes you just gotta take anything you can get!!
up

Posted By: REQ

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 01:53 AM

Shoot the next bird that comes in! Why waste all your money time and effort to leave without even trying to get a limit.

Posted By: DMOB52

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:04 AM

Take ur last duck who gives to craps about mallards. I would take a woodie pintail or a can any day over a mallard.

Posted By: Guy

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:10 AM

bs We really need to get a bigger flag.

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: DMOB52
I would take a woodie pintail or a can any day over a mallard.

I would take a Woodie Pintail over any duck. That would make for an awesome mount up

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:11 AM

rofl

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

bs We really need to get a bigger flag.

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:17 AM

I would take a woodie pintail or a can any day over a mallard.

I would take a Woodie Pintail over any duck. That would make for an awesome mount up

Mounted my first one, harvested when I was 13

Posted By: STXHO

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:38 AM

"All ducks make the same splash" If it comes in its going to fall. A limit is a limit, thats my philosophy.

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:42 AM

Somedays they are kinda easy bc the birds are moving/working well and your able to pass on certain birds..

Then there are days were if it flys it dies!

Posted By: Judd

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 04:14 AM

smallmouth

What is this yankee feesh you speak of nuts

Posted By: chilled shot

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 09:27 AM

If it's private, get in, get your green and get out. Don't burn tha hole anymore than nessesary.
If it's public, take no prisoners. Tha boom scouters have you located anyway.

Posted By: FETCH_UP

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: CPO
"All ducks make the same splash" If it comes in its going to fall. A limit is a limit, thats my philosophy.

cheers Especially as we dont get much green where down here! Duck is a duck

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: chilled shot
If it's private, get in, get your green and get out. Don't burn tha hole anymore than nessesary.
If it's public, take no prisoners. Tha boom scouters have you located anyway.

Valid point

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 03:38 PM

Take ur last duck who gives to craps about mallards. I would take a woodie pintail or a can any day over a mallard.

Man, so glad you said that. Now I know I'm not alone. Woodies, pintails and canvas backs are all such handsome ducks.

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 06:56 PM

got that right my friend.

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 08:45 PM

.........Over the years I've noticed that the topwaters who don't give a crap about killin mallards are the same topwaters who can't kill um in the first place.

Posted By: spooniesgirl

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/08/11 09:52 PM

Hater

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 12:35 AM

^ lol

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 01:03 AM

Haha ya you got it buddy I cant kill Mallards lol. When I have mallards around trust me there isnt anything special to them. No smarter than any other birds(at least for me) . You just stay in and keep waiting for your mallards and I will be out shooting limits.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 01:08 AM

.........Over the years I've noticed that the topwaters who don't give a crap about killin mallards are the same topwaters who can't kill um in the first place.

Lol you looking for a huckleberry smile

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 02:40 AM

Anybody can kill mallards on private wonder, do it on public then you can talk your smack.

Posted By: birddog14

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 02:48 AM

Anybody can kill mallards on private wonder, do it on public then you can talk your smack.

if you only knew

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: birddog14

if you only knew

Oh please tell me...

Posted By: texashunter36

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:25 AM

I've seen the pics, and as much as I hate to admit it they do effect the mallard numbers..

Posted By: STXHO

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:27 AM

Hey wonder.. You ever notice how topwaters, pilgrims, beginers, and wannabees always brag and talk about how many ducks they kill and only shoot green? The real "hardcore" duck hunters are the old timers that grind out a limit and take what they can get. Most people who are good enough to shoot limits everyday don't care what kind of duck it is.

Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:28 AM

if you only knew

How bout it wonder....you got exhibit A to share? lol
worthless

Posted By: duckiller

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:43 AM

if you only knew

Oh please tell me...

crazy

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

worthless

.........Naw, what they don't know won't hurt them rofl

Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

worthless

.........Naw, what they don't know won't hurt them rofl

ninja lol

Posted By: Jager

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 05:00 PM

He's such a rugged hunter that he shoots a "Top water Hunter" as his 6th bird and calls it a day.
slinger

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 05:43 PM

Could somebody please tell me what a mallard is?

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 05:49 PM

Hey wonder.. You ever notice how topwaters, pilgrims, beginers, and wannabees always brag and talk about how many ducks they kill and only shoot green? The real "hardcore" duck hunters are the old timers that grind out a limit and take what they can get. Most people who are good enough to shoot limits everyday don't care what kind of duck it is.

I will respectfully disagree! I know guys that can shoot limits pretty much everyday and we are probably the most picky.

Posted By: sasquatch1

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 06:51 PM

Naw in Texas I would go ahead and fish for another smallmouth.

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: sasquatch1

Naw in Texas I would go ahead and fish for another smallmouth.

My point exactly up

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jager
He's such a rugged hunter that he shoots a "Top water Hunter" as his 6th bird and calls it a day.
slinger

...........good point Jager.

Whats the limit on Topwaters?

Posted By: Texan1554

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 10:18 PM

I will respectfully disagree! I know guys that can shoot limits pretty much everyday and we are probably the most picky.

Agreed, but it does depend on your area. If you hunt where the green is, generally the guys that know the birds will target just that.

Posted By: fourtrax

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 11:08 PM

Boy!All these REAL duck hunters we have in here.One day I hope I can grow up and not only hunt with but JUST hang out with some d bags.....I mean great duck hunters like on here. popcorn

Posted By: fourtrax

Re: question for the wonder... - 11/09/11 11:10 PM

Oh and shoot nothing but green.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum