Texas Hunting Forum

Question about dove clothing

Posted By: huntingkidd

Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 02:14 AM

Have a quick question about what to wear when dove hunting. Should i wear a upland bird vest with the blaze orange or would a camo vest be better? Thanks for the help!

This is the upland vest that I recently bought but not sure if it will work for dove - http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_87752_-1?N=295120340

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 02:26 AM

doves dont care too much about camo, but i wouldnt wear a vest that makes me stick out that much. I tend to wear camo or earth tones. unlike deer, birds have very good eye sight. wearing a bright color will be a "red flag" to them and most likely they will flare.

Posted By: huntingkidd

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 02:37 AM

Alright thanks, thats what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before I returned that vest, I saw that academy had some earth tone vests similar to the one i put a link to without the orange.

Posted By: JMS

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 02:40 AM

Don't worry so much about what you wear, just be still and shoot straight. Had a friend get a limit in a pink dress shirt a while back.

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: JMS
Don't worry so much about what you wear, just be still and shoot straight. Had a friend get a limit in a pink dress shirt a while back.

Yup same here

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 03:15 AM

If you don't mind blood and dirt then I guess a dress shirt is fine...

Wear camo or something that won't make you stick out. That being said, buddy wore a yellow Columbia fishing shirt the other day and shot as many as me. I like it for the pictures.

Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 12:54 PM

T-shoes, camo shirt, shorts, stand or sit still, BPS has a shell/game belt that works great

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 01:48 PM

Camo cap, at least a camo shirt. Late season, camo pants too. A dove's eyesight is very keen. They can see you from quite a distance and any movement will send them veering away. I've had 'em do it when all I did was turn off the safety. I want them as close as possible. I'm camo-ed up and I sit very still until he's within 35 yards.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 02:51 PM

I always just about always wear camo....I have it so it certainly doesnt hurt and might help a bit.

Posted By: Old_School

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 03:01 PM

Be the tree.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 07:29 PM

First step...make mud...add water to dirt since no natural mud left in texas..step 2 roll around in mud...step 3 add leaves or any surounding cover...aaaaaaaaand your ready to dove hunt

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 07:36 PM

I wear a camo t-shirt and khaki shorts in September.

Camo t-shirt a blue jeans or camo pants when it cools down.

Posted By: applequacks

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 07:58 PM

no orange. wear camo. afterall youre hunting. if you wanna wear fishing clothes then go fishing. if you wanna wear nice dress clothes, go to church. wear camo and you'll never have any issues.

Posted By: dieselsmith

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/04/11 08:57 PM

I've shot limits of dove sitting in a lawn chair next to a bright blue pickup truck... then again that was opening weekend next to a water hole in west texas. Just wear a camo shirt and jeans and call it done.

Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/05/11 01:41 AM

Flip flops,long sleeve camo,kaki shorts,off mosquito,ant,jiggers,tick spray on your feet and ankles.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/05/11 02:56 AM

If you sit perfectly still, you can wear anything. But most of us like or need to move a little, drink your coffee, scratch your butt, and this is where camo helps. Blending with your environment helps hide your movement. Do you need it? No. Does it help? Yes.

Posted By: udamdan

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/06/11 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Old_School
Be the tree.

+1

Posted By: kdub

Re: Question about dove clothing - 10/06/11 12:59 AM

Wear a ghillie suit and don't forget your dove call. up

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum