Texas Hunting Forum

Scouting for Teal

Posted By: Jesse Griffiths

Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 04:21 AM

What do you look for when scouting for teal?

I have some access to a local river. What should I look for in a river situation?

When do you start scouting?

Water depth, aquatic vegetation, proximity to other bodies of water, etc... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 06:22 AM

What river?
I always try to pattern the birds when i hunt the river. Look on Google earth, or Ducks Unlimited migration map. See what other water sources are near the are you are hunting. Look for gravel bars, breaks in current, try to find a shallow place with vegetation. Rivers are natural "highways" for ducks. they will usually end up on them sometime during the day to feed or rest. It is sometimes hit or miss when hunting them, but when you do have a good hunt the ducks are often pretty thick. Teal hunting is tough on rivers, i have never had good luck during early teal season, alot of the birds often hit the ponds and reservoirs in the are i hunt. I start scouting for teal the first week of September or last weekend of August.

Best of luck to you!

Posted By: Judd

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 01:49 PM

panko...don't name your river.

Scout and preferably the day before you are planning to hunt, teal don't seem to stay in one place very long.

Ankle deep water is perfect for teal, muddy/sandy bottom and vegetation of some sort.

They'll start showing up at the full moon in late Aug early Sept...good luck!

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 02:18 PM

I hunt the Red Grande River east of El Paso usually.

Thanks fo the replies so far. My spot is close to the house and I'd like to really focus on it this season.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 02:22 PM

Depth is a big one

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 02:27 PM

What time of day is best to scout?

Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Scout and preferably the day before you are planning to hunt, teal don't seem to stay in one place very long.

Ankle deep water is perfect for teal, muddy/sandy bottom and vegetation of some sort.

confused DUDE when you ever scouted for teal? confused2 rofl

Posted By: Rob Robertson

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 03:06 PM

I look for teal on mudflats and very shallow water the evening before a hunt. That is not fool proof. If the wind blows out of the north over night they will be gone. That same wind will bring more.

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 03:11 PM

I scout for atleast 2 days every morning and evening. Birds on the River, where i hunt sometimes will stay in one spot for a couple days then move. Hunting pressure is another key factor. Rivers are public so make sure you secure the spot you intend to hunt

Posted By: Judd

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

rofl

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 03:54 PM

Usually look for shallow water that is ideal for teal to feed in. I would also say calm water, little pockets or maybe the mouth of sloughs, but I have shot a bunch off of sandbars as well. Keep this in mind though, just because you may not find birds at that given time doesnt mean that you cant get a limit the next morning. If theres birds holding on other places "around" your area then its a high possibility that they could pass through the river channel. A mojo is all it takes to bring in these stupid ducks.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 08:35 PM

Scouting is overrated.

popcorn

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 08:45 PM

Same way I scout for big ducks follow the spot lights...

Posted By: fourtrax

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Scouting is overrated.

popcorn

Amen!!!!I just hang around on here till someone names thier spot then I go. popcorn stir popcorn

Posted By: Water Turkey2

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 10:17 PM

Look for teal decoys and then set up next to them

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Water Turkey2
Look for teal decoys and then set up next to them

Nope, sleep in and hit the boat ramp just before legal........ then just follow the shots.
Now that's scouting for me! slinger

Posted By: kdub

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/07/11 10:27 PM

Find some shallow water, they love mud flats and newly flooded areas.

Posted By: Charlito

Re: Scouting for Teal - 06/08/11 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

rofl

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum