Texas Hunting Forum

Merganser

Posted By: ChrisG

Merganser - 08/14/07 08:33 PM

How many of you waterfowlers out there have killed one? I personaly think they are beautiful birds and could use one on my trophy wall. The question is where are they?

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Merganser - 08/14/07 09:18 PM

Feel the same way about coots!!

Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

Re: Merganser - 08/14/07 10:25 PM

There are 3 species of mergansers...

Hooded
Common
Red Breasted

I have shot the red breasted in Floydada, TX
I have shot Hooded's from west texas to east texas...all over...

there is plenty of them up around here...

we typically pass them up...

They are "not" table fare!

J.J.

Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: Merganser - 08/14/07 10:47 PM

My daughter shot a hooded merg in Woodson, Tx.

Posted By: Daddycajun

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 01:20 AM

They taste like crap. Used to see a bunch in Louisiana, but now we get a few out in Italy

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 01:31 AM

Got one right here last year. Nocona, TX. Single male came in so I dropped it. The hen came in a few minutes later. Then a group for 2 drakes and 2 hens came in 20 minutes later. Shooting one was enough. It is going on the wall. They come in fast!! My hunting partner has one on the wall from Fannin Co. I look like I went through hell in that pic. Shot a doe the night before, celebrated, hunted without waders but there was no wind so wet feet to get the green, and locked my keys in the truck which took almost 2 hours for the local locksmith to not figure out. It was all worth it though.

Posted By: MarkE

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 02:48 AM

I've shot 3 or 4 hooded mergansers in Wilbarger Cty. along the Red River.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 10:44 AM

I shot two hooded in texarkana, 1 hooded at a COE lake within 2 hours of DFW, and 1 hooded in Stutguart. All that in 12 years of duck hunting.

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 05:16 PM

Like I said, we typically pass them up...

But this day we decided to take a couple...son and I...

J.J.

Here is Whiskey&me:

Posted By: jbhlsu

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 07:01 PM

JJ...THAT HEN HAVE A BAND ON IT???

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 07:07 PM

Quote:

JJ...THAT HEN HAVE A BAND ON IT???

That would be a big 10-4...
J.J.

Posted By: CritterGitter

Re: Merganser *DELETED* - 08/15/07 07:14 PM

Post deleted by CritterGitter

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 07:17 PM

That would be 11-26-06...

In the great state of Texas...

Near Lake Texoma...

J.J.

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 07:24 PM

Please disregard my question (though it's too late for that now). I was curious about the mix of ducks, but it was based on an error in my reading of last year's regs.

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 08:28 PM

I figured you were going to try and bust me for something illegal...

But I didn't say anything...

J.J.

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 08:37 PM

Quote:

I figured you were going to try and bust me for something illegal...

But I didn't say anything...

J.J.

If I were both of the inclination and in a position to "bust" anyone for something illegal I sure as hell wouldn't be that obvious about it. While I did ask based on a legality issue, it was with regard to my own confusion over last year's regulations, which I've since cleared up.

Posted By: Gunfix

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 08:57 PM

Whiskey, layout blinds in the mud, must have been in the last couple of years. Had to do that a couple of times myself. Were was the band from ? I've shot one hooded south of Honeygrove and two banded mallard hens here in the last couple of years both bands were from Saskatchawan both shot south of Windom .

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 09:32 PM

Gunfix...

I'd have to see where it was from...I shot a couple last year...

I am pretty sure it was from Saskatchewan...

Most of my bands have come from that area...

J.J.

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 09:54 PM

Quote:

Whiskey, layout blinds in the mud, must have been in the last couple of years. Had to do that a couple of times myself. Were was the band from ? I've shot one hooded south of Honeygrove and two banded mallard hens here in the last couple of years both bands were from Saskatchawan both shot south of Windom.

LoJo Ranch?

Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Merganser - 08/15/07 11:07 PM

Thanks guys for all of the info. I have not duck hunted in a while, but I met a guy who just graduated from tech and he gave me all of his secret spots. So..... I plan on doing my fair share this year , and hope to get a hooded for the wall.

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 03:13 AM

Quote:

Whiskey, layout blinds in the mud, must have been in the last couple of years. Had to do that a couple of times myself. Were was the band from ? I've shot one hooded south of Honeygrove and two banded mallard hens here in the last couple of years both bands were from Saskatchawan both shot south of Windom .

That isn't mud. This is mud! Had to wash the layouts after this hunt.

Don't trust anyone from Tech!

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 11:24 AM

Been there done that...

Went back to the hotel and took a shower with my clothes on to wash the mud off! LOL...

We actually hunted a flooded wheat field that was similar and did really well, but we had a bar ditch to sit on...

I still remember that hunt...that was fun!!!!!!!!

And Yeap it was around Tech!!!

J.J.

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 01:08 PM

Flooded fields are my favorite. This one is up by you. I had to miss the close since I was out of town but the ducks just flocked to this flooded lake like crazy. Must have been 10 acres of water there for a few weekends. Even when there is only 1/2 acre of water the ducks flock to this spot. The walk to the spot is the worst part.

Posted By: jbhlsu

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 01:30 PM

Very nice JJ! How is your necklace looking? (How many bands) do you have under your belt?

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 02:29 PM

Was that mud spot from Ravena? Fish Farm?

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 02:34 PM

pm sent crittergitter.

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 04:20 PM

Quote:

Very nice JJ! How is your necklace looking? (How many bands) do you have under your belt?

17 so far...been picking up about 2 a year...

2 years ago was kinda cool, got one opening weekend, and the last weekend of season...Widgeon Drake, and a Widgeon hen...I think both were from Alaska...

J.J.

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 04:31 PM

Quote:

pm sent crittergitter.

Received and replied to.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Merganser - 08/16/07 07:41 PM

Shot one hooded hen last year.

Posted By: Camoquackhead

Re: Merganser - 08/27/07 07:14 PM

I got one last season, here in Port Arthur. He's on the wall!!!!! Wife hates it, everybody else loves it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum