Texas Hunting Forum

Barrel Length and choke

Posted By: ChrisG

Barrel Length and choke - 07/18/07 02:54 PM

I have and 870 express 12 gauge that I want to use only for water fowl. It has the regular 26" barrel with changeable chokes on it but I was wondering if a 30" would work better for steel and hevi shot and what choke should I use.

Posted By: CuzTheyFly

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/18/07 03:35 PM

- Most folks are going with shorter barrels now a days, like 26" because many newer shot guns have barrels that are "back bored",which means that they shoot a tighter pattern with shorter barrels. I do not think your 870 is back bored though... The best choke tube for doves is the modified to improved modified.

-For waterfowl you can use your modified tube for steel shot, it will act like a "full" choke when you shoot steel through it and is generally considered the best for ducks and geese.

-Some folks are using the "extra full" tubes made for waterfowl and steel shot. The advantages are less cripples and greater shot distance and range.

-When I hunted with The Duck Commander - Phil Robertson, and asked him what type of chokes his bunch use in thier duck hunting videos. He said "we like extra full choke tubes, and tend shoot out shotguns more like a rifle,.. to decrease cripples and get better range on camera......"

- Hope that helps and happy hunting!!!!!

Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/18/07 03:56 PM

What type of range am I looking at with a 26" with modified and steel. I am a good shot but I do not think I would be very accurate with a super full choke.

Posted By: Hizzoner

Re: Barrel Length and choke *DELETED* - 07/18/07 05:22 PM

Post deleted by Hizzoner

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/18/07 07:28 PM

The 26" vs 30" barrel lenght won't make any noticable difference other than how the gun feels and balances for you.

CHeck these out:

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/30-May-06.pdf

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/18-Sep-06.pdf

Posted By: ArkansasQuack

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/18/07 09:07 PM

I shoot a Benelli that has a 26" barrel(x-full choke tube from kicks) I got a beretta with a 30 barrel(same choke tube) not a big difference at all.I like the benelli alot better then my Beretta. Your choke tube is the real diff.!! not the length of barrel.

Posted By: Gunfix

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/18/07 09:46 PM

26" barrel.. . Bad for the other three guys hunting in the blind with you. My idea of it is ,since screw in chokes are so well made now a days barrel length really wont make a difference to the average shooter. shoot what feels good to you . Its all mental and a bit of luck anyway.

Posted By: Windrider

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/19/07 01:33 AM

A couple of inches of gun barrel really doesn't make any major difference in speed or range. It's the choke that sets the pattern.

I guess I'm a little old school. I prefer the longer barrel (28-32 inches) with a front hand heavy feel. It's easier for me to swing smoothly. I also prefer a longer sighting plane over a shorter one.

Of course, I'll take a plane barrel over a vent rib also.

I shoot mostly a Lt Mod in the field. I never seem to see much game within 15 yards and it will give good performance out to 35-40 yards depending on how hard the shot is/load etc...

Posted By: ElVenado

Re: Barrel Length and choke - 07/21/07 08:31 PM

JUST SHOOT A PATTERNMASTER CHOKE AND EVERYTHING WILL BE JUST FINE-

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum