Texas Hunting Forum

Problem on Ponds

Posted By: GooseB4

Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 06:49 AM

Well I've been hunting in seymour so far this season and have seen alot of ducks but at my ranch in sunset im not seeing any ducks on the ponds. I have heard if you have alot of catfish in a pond it messes up the duck hunting. Does anyone have some ideas or fixes because i will try them ahah

Re: Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 08:12 AM

also what could i do to make these ponds better for hunting as in what should i grow and add?

Posted By: Pastor Josh

Re: Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 01:24 PM

Never heard that before Ben. Could you plant some food in the pond and also maybe some high cover around the edges and shallow parts. It might make it more inviting for ducks to stick around and eat rather than using the ponds as flight ponds. Just a thought. Good luck.

Posted By: bjepsen85

Re: Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Pastor Josh
Never heard that before Ben. Could you plant some food in the pond and also maybe some high cover around the edges and shallow parts. It might make it more inviting for ducks to stick around and eat rather than using the ponds as flight ponds. Just a thought. Good luck.

x2 What kind of veg if any is there in the ponds right now? I have heard of certain kinds of fish eating out vegitation to where the ducks don't have any food left and therefor don't come in. I don't know if there is any truth to that I just heard it somewhere. I think some guy named Don told me. Or was it George, I dunno.

Posted By: R.G.C.

Re: Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 03:45 PM

Could be that someone has palced something out around the ponds to scare the ducks also. popcorn

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 08:36 PM

I've heard carp screw up duck ponds

Posted By: bjepsen85

Re: Problem on Ponds - 12/30/10 08:45 PM

Just looked it up and found that grass carp eat hydrilla, which in turn can keep ducks from coming in if all of their food source is eatin up. TPWD has stocked them in many Texas lakes to take care of overwelming hydrilla. I dunno if this helps but there ya go.

Re: Problem on Ponds - 01/03/11 01:22 AM

i found out this catfish make the water muddy and that can make the ducks not come... and i figured how to solve this huge fish fry and planting tons of millet and widgeon grass

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Problem on Ponds - 01/03/11 11:10 PM

My gf's grandparents have a pond that used to hold alot of wood ducks. They stocked the tank and then it was a chase to get the birds before the cats would get them. It doesn't get many birds anymore.

We also have a pond on the place we hunt that is always muddy and seldom a duck ever goes to it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum