Texas Hunting Forum

Calling Mule Deer

Posted By: stxranchman

Calling Mule Deer - 01/06/22 05:01 PM

I only call sparingly when I try to call mule deer in. I try not to educate the does. I call only when I see a shooter buck with does that are in thick cover or moving away or later in the season if I see a group of deer that are moving off into thicker cover.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/06/22 07:09 PM

Great video. I've seen it work first hand.
Posted By: CKMIII

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/06/22 07:20 PM

Never tried this with Mules, thank you!

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/06/22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor
Great video. I've seen it work first hand.

Ask BOBO the Clown on here if it works. His eyes looked like the emoji eek2
Posted By: freerange

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/07/22 03:16 AM

I always picture his eyes looking like that all the time. He seems wound tight. Ahhh, to be young again.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/07/22 03:43 AM

Good video stx. I stumbled into this mule deer calling thing back in 1980 while in college. I was a big bowhunter back then. I called in an ancient 8x7 175 class buck for my buddy a couple of weeks ago that was with 2 does. They came running in from 400 yds away just like in your video. I never hunt muleys without it. Don't always use it but I have it handy. Thanks for posting that.

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/07/22 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Good video stx. I stumbled into this mule deer calling thing back in 1980 while in college. I was a big bowhunter back then. I called in an ancient 8x7 175 class buck for my buddy a couple of weeks ago that was with 2 does. They came running in from 400 yds away just like in your video. I never hunt muleys without it. Don't always use it but I have it handy. Thanks for posting that.

I had seen this group of deer from across this draw and about 2.5 miles away. Heat waves made it difficult to tell much with the spotter but thought they were all does. I had to go that direction to get to camp so I decided to go find the group. They were not there but did catch an ear moving thru the mesquites out about 300 or so yards. So I called them back to the open country. I could see dust heading my way, way before I saw a deer. I know there was 7 deer when I spotted them earlier but this all I called back to me. The rest of the deer were heading to water I guess, it was down in that draw they came back from. It works well if the bucks are with the does. I called in a group that I had run off back in the rut 2 yrs ago in Jan. They were off over 550 yards when I ranged them and they came back to within 20 yards of me. I think there was 17 deer in the group that came back to me...these two older bucks were in the group. The one with broken back fork was fully intact the evening before. My guess is these two tangled that night or early that morning. The old 4x4 I saw back in early December about 3 miles southeast of where I took this photo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/07/22 03:51 PM

Pretty cool. I'm glad I never had to take an antler to the eyeball for a girl.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/08/22 04:38 AM

I witnessed that in Montana last year. The deer were a long way off on a neighboring property running from hunters. Our guide hit the call. My buddy and I was like WTF! He trying to run them further into the property? He casually looks at us and says, “You might want to get ready!” We both start laughing. Then it was a mad dang scramble when all the deer came out of the draw at a dead run to us. Never will forget that!

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/08/22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
I witnessed that in Montana last year. The deer were a long way off on a neighboring property running from hunters. Our guide hit the call. My buddy and I was like WTF! He trying to run them further into the property? He casually looks at us and says, “You might want to get ready!” We both start laughing. Then it was a mad dang scramble when all the deer came out of the draw at a dead run to us. Never will forget that!

Ask BOBO about doubting if calling works and his reaction when he saw it live and in person.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/08/22 08:28 PM

That was cool!
Posted By: BigLou

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/08/22 10:41 PM

awesome video. is that a fawn distress call?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/08/22 11:58 PM

Awesome stuff as usual, sir! up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/08/22 11:58 PM

Nice
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/09/22 06:54 PM

Fawn in distress is almost cheating with muley does. I've never seen a buck react to it on his own, but will definitely follow his girls if he's working up a harem.
Posted By: deer chaser

Re: Calling Mule Deer - 01/09/22 07:21 PM

Good stuff
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum