Texas Hunting Forum

Old protein

Posted By: Hudbone

Old protein - 05/22/23 01:32 PM

Some buddies bought a ranch which has silos on it. One is full to the top with protein pellets three years old or more. Never been wet. No mold. Ain't going to feed it out. Do they need to bury it?
Posted By: freerange

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 01:38 PM

Good question, no answer here.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 01:39 PM

road feed for Hogs is probably all it is good for now
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 04:23 PM

Don't knock old protein. That's what my body is made of.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 05:28 PM

Use it in 1 feeder and let the deer decide. The worst that can happen is that you end up pouring it out and moving the feeder a short ways. Deer may not dislike it as much as you think. Would be a shame to see that the deer are hitting the dump ground where you trashed all of the old protein. You never know how long sacks of feed sit in a warehouse. Probably not 3 years, but I would let the deer decide.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Some buddies bought a ranch which has silos on it. One is full to the top with protein pellets three years old or more. Never been wet. No mold. Ain't going to feed it out. Do they need to bury it?

call the stxman… I would feed it in troughs if it was me..
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 06:31 PM

I like the experiment idea. I wouldnt be shocked if the deer hit it as good as fresh protein.

About how much they think is in there? Several ton? That will be a lot to bury.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 08:49 PM

I’m curious why you would bury it at all? Even if the deer didn’t care for no way I’d go through the time and effort to bury it.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I’m curious why you would bury it at all? Even if the deer didn’t care for no way I’d go through the time and effort to bury it.

May have cattle or other livestock and don't want to founder them.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

Exactly this^^.....^ buddy paid for a very expensive roping horse to learn that lesson
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 11:38 PM

If it hasn’t been wet what concerns them about feeding it?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Old protein - 05/22/23 11:45 PM

not sure they would founder like grain. I feed creep feeders for years with different ration mixs and never had one founder on pellets. Lots of fiber in pellets. Horses are a different story
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Old protein - 05/23/23 10:41 AM

The thought is to dispose of it rather than feed it. Wanting to do it right and no concerned with cheap Charleying it. Feeding something or allowing any wildlife to consume something supposed to be fed in 90 days, but now has muliple yeas on it, could have unintended consequences these people don't want to deal with.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Old protein - 05/23/23 01:05 PM

I definitely fit the bill of cheap Charlie! Just don’t think there is any risk being averted either. My backyard dear are eating a bag of LE that’s over a year old right now they are happy.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Old protein - 05/23/23 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by majekman

Exactly this^^.....^ buddy paid for a very expensive roping horse to learn that lesson

Not so sure a horse is not going to get sick over any protein, much less old protein.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Old protein - 09/23/23 03:29 AM

If nothing eats it just broadcast it over the pasture. I wouldn’t go through the effort of burying.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Old protein - 10/13/23 07:29 PM

Call a vet or the texas wildlife biologists and ask them their thoughts on feeding it. It would be worth the cost of a simple phone call.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Old protein - 10/15/23 02:12 PM

If there’s no mold I’d try feeding it for sure. But I guess if you have money to buy a ranch with silos then you likely aren’t concerned with a few grand in old protein.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum