Texas Hunting Forum

Food plot turned yellow!

Posted By: kagomez85

Food plot turned yellow! - 01/08/22 01:47 PM

I have been using the same seed blend (best buck) from East Texas seed for several years and have always had really nice plots that last through the winter months. I'm sitting in the stand now looking around and my entire plot has turned yellow?? It looks completely dead.. Last week it was nice and green, any idea what could have happened? We did have a couple days this past week that dropped well below freezing but it usually doesn't bother it too bad.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Food plot turned yellow! - 01/08/22 02:01 PM

Here in palo pinto County, it is from lack of rain. We haven't had any rain, since early November. The very cold weather does more damage, when its so dry.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Food plot turned yellow! - 01/08/22 02:06 PM

That is the answer.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Food plot turned yellow! - 01/08/22 11:44 PM

no rain
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Food plot turned yellow! - 01/10/22 10:11 PM

I planted ~Oct 10th, got a half inch the next day and nothing since. What little grew has been eaten to the roots by the deer; the field looks about like it did when I plowed it.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Food plot turned yellow! - 03/19/22 04:26 AM

Yep, needs moisture. We have 5 fall plots on our place, one larger, about 2 acres, and 4 smaller ones about .5 acres each. The larger is the only one we plant in the spring, so it gets lime and fertilizer at that time, then we just lightly disc and seed it over with oats in the fall. The four small plots get lime and fertilizer for fall. It's worth noting the small plots are mostly in lower lying areas of the property with better moisture retention vs the bigger plot being on relative high ground with good drainage. Right now the big plot with oats is yellow, has been since January. The four smaller plots with a mixed variety are green as can be, but have been chewed to the ground since December.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum