Texas Hunting Forum

Persimmon Trees

Posted By: Homer75

Persimmon Trees - 11/20/21 02:51 AM

Does anyone have permission trees for the wildlife/deer? I just planted two trees to see how the deer take to them but, everything I’ve read makes it seem like it’s a northern thing.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/20/21 02:53 AM

We didn’t plant them but we have a good many in certain locations and the deer will stop and eat a few but it’s just along thr normal route. I personally wouldn’t plant any just for the deer but it can’t hurt anything.
Posted By: don k

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/20/21 12:44 PM

I probably have have a thousand of them. Deer and everything else eat the fruit. Sometimes they have a lot and sometimes very little. If they didn't grow naturally here I don't think I would go out of my way planting them just for the wildlife.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/20/21 01:41 PM

I also have a bunch of native persimmons on the property, but have noticed the deer will clean up pecans and white-oak acorns before they mess with the persimmons much.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/20/21 01:48 PM

Planted a few Fuji persimmons years ago at my wife’s grandmas place, the pigs are under them much more often than the deer. See more deer around the peach and plum trees.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/29/21 07:46 PM

Its more of a northern thing because they don't feed corn like we do and have to rely on other methods.
Make sure you plant a male and female tree. The fruits grow only on the females. and if you don't know what a pucker factor is,
eat one that isn't ripe.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/29/21 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by don k
I probably have have a thousand of them. Deer and everything else eat the fruit. Sometimes they have a lot and sometimes very little. If they didn't grow naturally here I don't think I would go out of my way planting them just for the wildlife.

Same here. I am covered up in those things. I can tell you this much.. getting rid of them is a PITA.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Persimmon Trees - 11/29/21 08:39 PM

Never planted any of them but we have a good stand of native ones on the ranch. From what I can tell they only eat the fruit, so it doesn't provide a food source year round, really only for a short time period; however, it appears the deer like them as before the fruit ripened the bushes were grown up with grass 3-4 foot high and now they are beat down to bare ground around every one of them on the place.

I picked up a few seed pods from our iron wood trees this weekend, supposed to be a preferred browse species, going to see if I can't sprout them and plant at my home place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum