Texas Hunting Forum

Oats

Posted By: ELKMTB

Oats - 10/18/21 06:15 PM

How long do you think it is for oats to come up after a rain? planted day 1, good rain day 2.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Oats - 10/18/21 06:33 PM

Just a couple or three days. I just planted a bunch before this last rain a few days ago and they have already sprouted.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Oats - 10/18/21 07:13 PM

If you plant one weekend and get rain you will have some by the next weekend.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Oats - 10/18/21 07:34 PM

Yep, mine are coming up after one week. The depth of planting will have some play esp
If you drilled it in. I put mine in with a drill about 1/2” depth +/- a little to help with the other stuff in the blend. I see good sprouts coming from everything i planted, some
Just needs to come up through some thatch.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Oats - 10/18/21 09:22 PM

6-10 days depending on planting depth and rainfall. I planted last Sunday, had .3 Monday and 1.3" Thursday. There were deer in the field yesterday which tells me something is starting to peek through.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Oats - 10/19/21 01:06 PM

I planted oats/winter peas about 3 weeks ago and it rained that night. It was up in 4 days in some plots and all in 6 days. Ground was powder dry but 4.5" of rain and warm soil helped a lot. Fertilized last week on Monday and it rain the next morning. Plots are all now about 6-8" tall and really doing well.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Oats - 10/19/21 04:44 PM

going to run out and check mine this afternoon near Oatmeal, planted Sept. 29. They should be up pretty good by now if the hogs didn't root them all up like a couple of years ago.

Re: Oats - 10/19/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
6-10 days depending on planting depth and rainfall. I planted last Sunday, had .3 Monday and 1.3" Thursday. There were deer in the field yesterday which tells me something is starting to peek through.

Lotta green hair on the field this morning, so 9 days from planting to visible growth this year.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Oats - 10/22/21 02:24 AM

I had some planted 1/4in deep w/ soil moist & warm days - sprouted 1/2 tall at 4 days.
Another patch 1/2 in deep & cooler temps took 6 days.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Oats - 10/24/21 04:31 AM

Ours are up and growing good. Didn't get rain for a week and a half after planting, got the first rain on them 2 weeks ago and every plot looks like a golf course now. Deer are hitting them with gusto and have laid off the protein almost completely.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Oats - 10/25/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
going to run out and check mine this afternoon near Oatmeal, planted Sept. 29. They should be up pretty good by now if the hogs didn't root them all up like a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Espy

Re: Oats - 10/28/21 09:54 PM

Looks good PMK
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Oats - 11/01/21 06:30 PM

so question for the oats experts. When would an oats plot die off and be done. Is oats one of the plots you can plant to improve your soil conditions?
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Oats - 11/02/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ricochet83
so question for the oats experts. When would an oats plot die off and be done. Is oats one of the plots you can plant to improve your soil conditions?

Oats will die off when they have a hard freeze on them. Sometimes a light freeze will turn them yellow but a couple of days of warmer temps and sunshine will bring them back. Not sure if oats will do anything to improve the soil.

Re: Oats - 11/02/21 04:25 PM

No, you need a legume to improve your soil. There are several varieties of peas and clovers that will put nitrogen back in the soil. Oats won't die until they head out in late May.

Edit for the hard freeze-I'm in Mills county and while we haven't planted every year, we've never lost a complete stand of oats due to a freeze in 38 years.
Posted By: SB9969

Re: Oats - 11/02/21 05:21 PM

Always a little confused on oats dying off in cold or not. Seems farmers are always harvesting in the spring so if they die off at the first hard freeze how are there any left? Maybe just the deer stop eating them or something? I did a mix of wheat/oats this year because always hearing the oars die off. Anyone can clarify this?
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Oats - 11/02/21 08:27 PM

Very rare that a freeze will kill them. They die after heading out in late spring early summer.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Oats - 11/02/21 08:58 PM

You can mix oats and a legume/clover (arrowleaf or crimson or white), and cover all your bases. Make sure the legume/clover seed is inoculated.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Oats - 11/03/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Z
Very rare that a freeze will kill them. They die after heading out in late spring early summer.

this ^^^^^^^, they will turn brown and then back to green in the spring, then brown again.

Re: Oats - 11/03/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Greg Z

this ^^^^^^^, they will turn brown and then back to green in the spring, then brown again.

A hard enough freeze will burn just about anything, wheat included. We typically graze our oats off with sheep, and as long as you get rainfall, they stay green enough that the sheep eat them from December-March.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum